Revision this summer

Marsha G.
on 5/1/09 9:07 am - Denver, CO
Kaiser Classes: 2 down and 6 to go!  I go to clinic for Psych (again), physical, labs, and surgery scheduling on May 28th! (I hear it will probably be August.) I'm excited, and very scared too. I have to have an Open RNY, due to previous abdominal surgeries, and it's a revision, from a VBG in 1999. They say the complication rate is 65%???????? Tell me it ain't so!  Is it normal to have so many second thoughts, and yet want so bad to be healthy? I have a great Doc, but my anxiety builds when I really think about it. I'm trying to get in the right mindset, but I can't find it.
Have you seen it????? 
Ldy
I owed it to myself to research the Duodenal Switch before consenting to any other weight loss surgery and so do you.  Check out: DSFacts.com and DuodenalSwitch.com for more information.         

rebeccaford
on 5/1/09 10:01 am - Honolulu, HI
Hi there!  I had a revision from an open VBG to open RNY April 6.  My surgery was 6 hours.  It was complicated because of all the scar tissue.  My VBG was 100% completely intact, so they got rid of that, made me a new pouch, did the bypass and they removed the rest of the stomach.

I wouldn't say I had complications, but I had a rough 6 days in the hospital.  I was on oxygen for 3 days because my lungs wouldn't function properly.  I had very littlle urine output even with all the fluids they were pumping into me.  I had all the signs of a pulmonary embolism so I had CT scan, leak test, and chest xray.  All were negative. My body was just really slow waking up.  I won't lie...it was scarry.  I had lots of shots of stuff for blood clotting. 

My incision is 12" long.  Ouchie :-)  But it's pretty much healed up.  The hole for the drain is what hurts the most. 

But I was never told a percentage chance of complications.  My surgeon was really upfront and told me all the risks (blood clots, stroke, etc), but I trusted him completely and he was very experienced in VBG takedowns.  I was so sick of throwing up every day and having major acid reflux.  Plus I gained all my weight back and just feeling terrible.  To me the risk was worth it.  Plus I was a "rare case" so I had lots of cute little interns looking out for me :-) 

I had a lot of anxiety about this surgery and still was wondering (post op) if I had done the right thing.  On Monday I will be 4 weeks out and I'm glad I went through it.  I haven't thrown up and reflux is GONE!  I've lost 21 lbs.  I'm in a much better frame of mind with this surgery...doing it for the health reasons and not worrying about a number on the scale. 

I hope some of this helps.  Feel free to email me if you want to talk more...

Rebecca
Marsha G.
on 5/1/09 12:50 pm - Denver, CO

We sound similar. I had an open VBG too, and have gained what I lost, and more, back. I throw

up often too. The Doc says to count on at least 8 days in the hospital. I have Pulmonary

Hypertension (High pressure in the Pulmonary Artery causing shortness of breath, among other

things.) I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic attacks (Though it's been awhile. Thank

goodness.)  I was so glad to read your response, and though you had problems, it makes me

hopeful. I am doing this for my health as well. I hope that you continue to improve, and that your

road is lined with flowers.

Talk soon,

Marsha

I owed it to myself to research the Duodenal Switch before consenting to any other weight loss surgery and so do you.  Check out: DSFacts.com and DuodenalSwitch.com for more information.         

Most Active