revisions surgery and kaiser

guerita2324
on 4/30/09 11:35 am - Newark, CA
Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all well.  I have not been on this site in two years since I went back to school  The site has changed a lot!!  I have a question and I am hoping someone can answer.  I live in Northern California, and I am wondering if any of you know if Kaiser does revisions surgery.  I have weight since my sugery and I am finding myself feeling out of control.  I have tried loosing weight and I have been unsuccessful. I hope to hear from someone soon. 

Take care
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/09 12:07 am - AZ
On April 30, 2009 at 6:35 PM Pacific Time, guerita2324 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all well.  I have not been on this site in two years since I went back to school  The site has changed a lot!!  I have a question and I am hoping someone can answer.  I live in Northern California, and I am wondering if any of you know if Kaiser does revisions surgery.  I have weight since my sugery and I am finding myself feeling out of control.  I have tried loosing weight and I have been unsuccessful. I hope to hear from someone soon. 

Take care

It's not really a matter of Kaiser it's a matter of your individual policy.  You'd have to look at your policy to see if WLS is a benefit or if it is excluded.  If it is still a benefit then you'd have to see what they require for a revision.  Each employer can add and exclude various benefits such as WLS, fertility treatments, etc.

What kind of revision are you wanting?

guerita2324
on 5/1/09 1:38 am - Newark, CA
Hi!

Thank you so much for writing back.  I am not sure what type of revision I want.  I have been trying to loose weight and its been so discouraging.  I have gained abot 70 lbs and the most I manage to lose is ten.  I need to research the type of revisions that there are available.  Do you have any suggestions of where I can get more information about revision surgery.  I will call Kasier to see if that is covered.  I am not sure since in 2003 Kaiser did it for me but sent me out to San Diego to have the surgery.  I live in the bay area.  I also have changed employers and I am not sure if it covers WLS.  Gosh I hope so. 

Can you tell me about yourself?

Take care,

Maria
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/09 2:14 am - AZ
On May 1, 2009 at 8:38 AM Pacific Time, guerita2324 wrote:
Hi!

Thank you so much for writing back.  I am not sure what type of revision I want.  I have been trying to loose weight and its been so discouraging.  I have gained abot 70 lbs and the most I manage to lose is ten.  I need to research the type of revisions that there are available.  Do you have any suggestions of where I can get more information about revision surgery.  I will call Kasier to see if that is covered.  I am not sure since in 2003 Kaiser did it for me but sent me out to San Diego to have the surgery.  I live in the bay area.  I also have changed employers and I am not sure if it covers WLS.  Gosh I hope so. 

Can you tell me about yourself?

Take care,

Maria

StacysMom should be along with some good info.  Janie also has good info.  They are the bypass experts.

You could do a band after bypass, (low risk but slow weight loss)
ERNY, (bypass more intestine)
Stomaphyx (if that is your problem however, it doesn't work)
Revise (doesn't work)
Restore (doesn't work)
Take down your RNY and convert to DS (most risk, most weight loss)

Did I miss anything?  Anyone?

I had a band, got to gaol, and due to band intolerance I revised to a sleeve.  For me a sleeve is a perfect fit for my lifestyle.

guerita2324
on 5/1/09 2:22 am - Newark, CA
wow i have been disconnected with everything regarding weight loss surgery.  i had mine in2003, but there were not so many options available.  i don't know what any of those are.  is there a good place on this website to get more information.  reading the posts have been helpful, but i am feeling completely loss as far as being informed.  i plan to see my doctor in a month to see if kaiser will pay for the revision.  i called this morning and it looks like they will if it is medically necessary, but i will probably have to go through the same procedure that i went through last time. 
StacysMom
on 5/3/09 8:58 am
 Hello,  I recently answered someone else who had similar questions.   Take a look at this post and read the articles which are linked.   Then you will have a better understanding of what is available to you at this time.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3922251/considering-revi sion-what-are-my-options/#31587154

Also, some WLS programs will tell you that they do all of the various revision surgeries and then, once they get you in the door, convince you that whichever revision procedure they perform is the one which is the "safest" or "best" for you.   This is usually done when patient wants the Duodenal Switch, which has the best long term stats of all of the various weight loss procedures and, if the RNY has already failed a patient, is the procedure that the patient probably should have had in the first place.   It's called the "bait & not switch", so watch out for it.   Frequently, the physician will "warn" the patient about all of the various problems with the procedure and the doctor uses statistics from the old Scopinaro DS (which is almost an ERNY) and not the current DS as examples.  Sometimes the surgeon will even misinform the patient that the RNY to DS conversion is impossible to do (while other surgeons routinely do them every day).

So, be sure and do your own research on all of the procedures before even meeting with the doctor.    Possibly, because of your own particular anatomy, not all procedures will be workable for you, but the only way you will get a straight answer out of a surgeon is to go to one that actually DOES do all of the procedures.   Otherwise, they will channel you into only the options that they themselves perform.   This is especially true with the DS surgery, as hardly any doctors perform it (it's not financially advantageous for them) and a lot of people want it.   This is especially true regarding the RNY to DS conversion.

Monique H.
on 5/1/09 2:23 am

I think that pretty much covers it, but Maria make sure you fight for what type of surgery you want. Make sure you do your research and discuss with your surgeon all your options and find what is best for you.

Good luck,

Monique

WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
fsu1991
on 5/1/09 3:17 am
Why do you say that StomaphyX doesn't work?
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/09 3:43 am - AZ
On May 1, 2009 at 10:17 AM Pacific Time, fsu1991 wrote:
Why do you say that StomaphyX doesn't work?

Because it doesn't?

Very rarely does someone who had it done post saying it works.  The only one I recall ended up actually working for the doctor she was trying to get everyone to go to for the procedure.

fsu1991
on 5/1/09 5:03 am
Ok, so when you say  "it doesn't work" what does that mean? What is the primary goal of the StomaphyX? If it's transoral with no known complications and can reduce the size of a pouch post bypass, how can it "not work?" Isn't it patient dependent?
Most Active