For those of you who had a revision from LapBand to RNY

MyOMy
on 4/30/09 9:28 am - Youngsville, NC
Had your Dr ever performed this revision before or were you his/her first? I'm in the process of submitting my info to insurance for the revision but my surgeon, who did my band sx, has never done a band to rny revision. I'm starting to question if I need to find a surgeon who has done this before? He says its straight forward but I'm starting to get nervous as it is actually becoming a reality....
Just looking for your experiences...
Thanks!

MARCIAM
on 4/30/09 11:50 am, edited 4/30/09 1:28 pm - Sayville, NY
My surgeon had done this revision many times before me.  One of those times was for a friend and I knew how successful it was for her. My surgeon said it wasn't a problem at all.
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/09 1:23 pm - NJ
My surgeon took out my band & got rid of adhesions and scar tissue, and a month later did the RNY.  Reason being that the band gave me such horrific reflux and he wanted my stomach to heal before doing the RNY.

I am almost a month out and feeling great!!

Please feel free to ask any questions you have!
MyOMy
on 4/30/09 2:02 pm - Youngsville, NC
On April 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM Pacific Time, Jennifer W. wrote:
My surgeon took out my band & got rid of adhesions and scar tissue, and a month later did the RNY.  Reason being that the band gave me such horrific reflux and he wanted my stomach to heal before doing the RNY.

I am almost a month out and feeling great!!

Please feel free to ask any questions you have!
My band was EMPTIED about 1 1/2 mo ago because I just got too tired of all of the wild fluctuations and never knowing when I was going to get stuck.
Right now my surgeon plans on removing and revising at the same time, granted he finds no problems...

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/09 1:24 pm - NJ
Yes - I had my band emptied TWICE.....I never had a good restriction - either too tight and pain like I have never felt from the reflux, or wide open.....I would vomit several times a day when I was too tight....

Good luck, sweetie!!  Let me know how you do - when are you doing this?
MyOMy
on 5/3/09 1:40 pm, edited 5/3/09 1:40 pm - Youngsville, NC
After over a year of fills and even ones under Fluro I was at "restriction" but never felt it... I was always able to eat whatever and how much I wanted. Just randomly  would have fluctuations out of no where. For me that is not the way I want to live. On top of that I only lost 13lbs...
This is why I am choosing to move forward to a RNY revision.

Thanks for being so supportive, I really appreciate it :)
(deactivated member)
on 5/4/09 1:51 am - NJ
On May 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM Pacific Time, MyOMy wrote:
After over a year of fills and even ones under Fluro I was at "restriction" but never felt it... I was always able to eat whatever and how much I wanted. Just randomly  would have fluctuations out of no where. For me that is not the way I want to live. On top of that I only lost 13lbs...
This is why I am choosing to move forward to a RNY revision.

Thanks for being so supportive, I really appreciate it :)
Understood - I lost about 25 pounds with the band - most of which were during the first couple of months.  Then the reflux started in.  I am doing so much better with the RNY - I am just sorry I didn't do it first!!

Sounds like you need some mal-absorption too.  Keep me posted and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Jen
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/09 2:06 pm - AZ
On April 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM Pacific Time, MyOMy wrote:
Had your Dr ever performed this revision before or were you his/her first? I'm in the process of submitting my info to insurance for the revision but my surgeon, who did my band sx, has never done a band to rny revision. I'm starting to question if I need to find a surgeon who has done this before? He says its straight forward but I'm starting to get nervous as it is actually becoming a reality....
Just looking for your experiences...
Thanks!

There is a learning curve to ANY surgery.  I would not want to be part of someone's learning curve.

With bypass there is a high failure rate.  When surgeons take their patients back to OR to fix what they didn't do right the first time they learn from their mistakes.  Do you want to be that person?

Personally, I went to a true revision surgeon for my revision.  I didn't want to be part of someone's learning curve.

To each his own.

~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/30/09 2:15 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Revisions can be tricky... even with 'just a Band."  There can be lots of scar tissue and adhesions due to the Band.  I would not risk being a surgeon's first.  Please please seek out an experienced revision surgeon.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Anneff36
on 4/30/09 8:38 pm - cedar park, TX
 I choose a doctor who had done many revisions and thank god I did.  He said mine was the hardest he had ever done. So much scar tissue and he said that my stomach kept falling out of his lap tools. I am sure if it were anyone else, they would of had to open me up. My doctor is know for having the most ineffective office staff. You have to call 4 or 5 times before anyone ever gets back to you and I was a patient for 5 months and then get a call from the office manager saying "who are you? we have no records of you ever being here" Of course the doctor knew who I was etc. They blamed it on a employee who they let go, but of course, nothing has changed. They never call back and I returned to work 2/28 and still have not received my letter saying I can return to work for my job. It was in march that they finally filled out my FMLA for 1/28 surgery. The office drives me crazy and my other 2 friends who go to him. My friend Gloria called me the other day shocked that she called and talked to a real person. She was in shock, didn't know what to do for a minute. She was so used to leaving a message.

Anyway, that was me venting. I knew all of this but he did the most revisions of any doctor nearby, he is a 2 hour drive from me but I felt worth it because of his experience.

I would not let someone touch me who has never taken a lap band out before. Also they need a special lap tool for the removable.

Good luck and I would find someone else. 

Most Active