Realize Band to VSG Revision LOSING SLOW!!

Christina N.
on 4/30/09 7:45 am, edited 5/2/09 8:35 am - Houston, TX
Revision on 03/18/09 with

Whew! I'm so glad I found my way to this Revision Forum. I have been in the VSG forum and so discouraged that everyone was losing more than me!! Someone finally told me that revision patients lose weight at a slower pace and to come to this Revision forum to find out.

I had the Realize Band put in on June 10, 2008...I lost about 50 lbs within the first 5 months, and then hit a 3 month stall and had some other issues. My doctor recommend the Sleeve, I got it approved by the insurance, and had the band removed/Sleeve done on March 18, 2009.

Since the Sleeve (6 wks), I have slowly lost about 25 lbs but gained 3 lbs this past week. It makes me very discouraged and worries me that I won't get this weight off after having 2 weightloss surgeries! I still have another 85 lbs to lose to get to my goal of 150, and my doc wants me at 135.

Then come to find out at my last doc visit, I learned that I really got approved for the DS surgery, but this was suppose to be Part I of the DS surgery. The doctor doesn't recommend that I get the DS, and wants me to lose the weight with the Sleeve only. I am trying my hardest...I got back to the gym this week, keeping a food journal, taking my vitamins, and it just seems to be coming off at snail pace.

I dont understand how I am suppose to lose more weight with the Sleeve if the restriction is less than with the Lapband?? I feel like I am eating more now. For instance I had 2.5 oz tuna and 5 crackers for lunch today without any problem! I don't think I should be able to do that 6 wks out.

I need help or advice too!! Has anyone here been through the Lapband - Sleeve - DS revision? I'm trying to avoid another surgery and finally get this right!!!

Please help with any advice. Thanks!

(LOST 50 LBS w/ Realize Band prior to Gastric Sleeve)
~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/30/09 9:24 am - Jacksonville, FL
IMHO, you're so lucky you have the DS option down the road.

I was a Lap-Band to VSG revision and lost 50 pounds in 4 months.  Haven't lost anything in almost 6 months now... very discouraging.  I can eat so much more than with my Band... which is part of the problem.

How's your protein intake?

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Christina N.
on 4/30/09 3:29 pm - Houston, TX

Hi,

I am not sure what my total protein intake is right now. I write it in a paperback journal and do not keep an online calculation like most people. I am safe to assume atleast 40 grams of protein a day. My doctor is very different than other docs. He doesnt want me to measure my foods, he doesnt want me to drink protein drinks or eat protein bars. He wants me to eat solid protein (chicken, turkey, beef), and learn to eat til I'm full and stop without measuring my food. He said for me not to worry about numbers right now. He basically wants me to train myself to have 3 meals and no snacking in between. I am doing the best I can, but he says if I am not losing 5 lbs a week right now, then I am over eating!! :(

I'm six weeks out now, I should be down 30 lbs by his calculation. Today I weighed myself and I'm down 22 lbs (I've gained 3 lbs this week, but it was also that time of the month). 

He told me when I go to see him on May 9th that I should weight 225 and right now I'm at 235. I really need to push myself this next week and half. I was thinking about going back to all liquids.

Do you have any suggestions to get through these plateaus?? Can you give me a list of foods you eat right now?

Thanks, Chrissy

~~Sami~~ *.
on 5/1/09 12:56 am, edited 5/1/09 12:59 am - Jacksonville, FL
I've never seen any VSGer lose at a rate of 5 pounds per week and I've been on VSG boards for over 3 years. 

Also, most VSGers need more than 3 meals per day to get in their necessary protein.  Most docs do a protein first mantra... and yes, you will eat less with solid protein... BUT you should be getting at least 60 grams of protein per day.  Some docs want even more.  If it takes a protein shake to get you there, so be it.

Snacking/grazing are the enemy of the sleeve (and all WLS)... but having 5-6 planned meals of protein, fruits & veggies is different than that.  I wouldn't be surprised if you're having such low weight loss numbers because you're not eating enough.

If you go to sleeveguide.com you can find the dietary guidelines for both the LapSF group as  well as Weill-Cornell (where Gagner did the first VSG as part of a two-part DS).  You may want  to read their guidelines to get some idea what the very experienced sleeve docs recommend.

Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Christina N.
on 5/1/09 1:57 am - Houston, TX

Thank you so much for all the useful information!! I will definitely check that website out, and also have a talk with my doc about all my concerns when I see him again on May 9th.

My doc is a tough man. He is really pushing me to try and lose this weight without having to do the DS. He said the first few months is when I should be losing the most of my weight, and I should be losing minimum of 3 lbs a week, but averaging about 5 lbs a week. He said after the first few months (1-3 months) that it will slow down and I will be losing a lot less.

I am seriously thinking about starting to do protein drinks atleast 1x a day. Everyone that has been successful with their weightloss has done. I do not see the harm. I def need the extra protein and possibly calories too.

Thanks again!

Lori G.
on 5/3/09 9:46 pm - CA
I've never seen any VSGer lose at a rate of 5 pounds per week and I've been on VSG boards for over 3 years.
Never say never, it can happen- I averaged over 5 lbs per week for the first 3 months with losses of 29, 21, and 17 lbs Months 1-3.
Months 4-6 had losses of  18, 15 and 15 lbs or over 3 lbs per week.
XOLori

~~Sami~~ *.
on 5/3/09 10:30 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Congratulations, you're the exception.  But not the norm... and her physician's expectations seem way out of line..  If you're a very high BMI, then maybe.... but for the average, 5 pounds per week with the VSG is very unlikely.

You do realize that your rate of weight loss was unusual, don't you?  Or are you trying to imply to her that it's the norm?

Lori G.
on 5/3/09 10:58 pm - CA
Aloha Sami-
No, my response was to your first sentence where you said you'd  never seen a VSGer lose 5lb per week.
I think absolute numbers freak people out, comparing yourse;lves to others is wrong, and that it's better to look at % EBW - there have been many who hit goal of 100% EBW lost at far less than 10 months, some taking only 5 or 6 months.Granted these were not revisions, but I addressed that later in a post directly to Chrissy.
Be well all- XOLori

~~Sami~~ *.
on 5/3/09 11:30 pm - Jacksonville, FL
You're  right... the comparison thing can be so dangerous.  Sadly, pretty much everybody does it.  I know people with low BMIs who compare themselves to people who have BMIs in the 50s.  Just asking for trouble IMHO.

You reminded me, OH has a calculator which projects weight loss based on a certain % EWL.  I think  it was designed based on RNY weight loss, but still might be of help to some.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/information/post+op+planner.php

Lori G.
on 5/7/09 8:00 pm - CA
Aloha Sami-Oooops, never replied to you, sorry.

The calculator assumes EVERYONE hits their goal by 14 months post op no matter what you type in. Try it- no matter what stats you put in, it will spit out goal at 14 months post op.

The other thing- if I was freakishly fast, losing 36 lbs of my post op 165 ( I lost 16 pre op) in 6 weeks, that's ~25% of my EBW. Diva Chrissy is about the same ( 24% EBW lost in 6 weeks)  but she is a revision and historically they lose slower....not so in this case. And Chrissy thinks she is losing slow....in reality she is just as much an exception as I was.

Be well, all- XOXOLori

Most Active