Test for too large a stoma?

carvelo
on 5/1/09 11:42 am

Hello Brandyll,

I just had a revision to resize my stoma. They also divided my RNY as it was undivided when it was originally done in 2002.  I had to have several EGD's to determine if it was my stoma or my pouch or something else.  The doc determined that it was my stoma, saying he"could drive a truck through it"  it was that large.  So, I decied to have it fixed in hopes of losing the rest of my weight.  I never lost it all with the 1st surgery, didn't gain any back, just didn't lose all I needed to as I have a severe hip disorder and need to have a hip replacement at some point, so the weightloss is crucial for me.  My insurance co paid for it.  However, I went to 4 different docs and the 1st 3 would not touch me as they did not want to touch another docs work and 2 said that there was nothing they could do.  Until I found my current doc who has revised many patients of my original doc.  I wish you luck on your journey and hope you find what you are looking for :-)

Carmen

brandyII
on 5/1/09 1:15 pm, edited 5/1/09 1:15 pm
Wow Carmen,

That's great you were able to find a surgeon who would finally fix your problem.  I know I can't be sure what my future will hold for me down the road but I'm hoping to lose the weight and keep it off.  It doesn't always happen that way as I am a "revisioner", lol.  Good luck to you on your impending surgery!
mypookface
on 5/2/09 2:27 pm, edited 5/2/09 2:33 pm - Bethany, LA
Hello Carmen & Brandy,

I am wondering there if something wrong with me also.  I had RNY May 10, 2004.  I was at 215 lbs.  I lost down to 130-135 lbs.  From size 16-18 to size 6 P.  I kept it off until about a year ago, and have started gaining steadily eversince.  I am now at 160 lbs.  & wear size 10.  I have had all my lab work done for my thyroid (I have hypothyroidism) but my levels are all good.  I started on an exercise program the 1st week in January, I do this 5 days a week for at least 1 hr each day before work, and have lost 2 lbs!!! And no inches........has anyone had this problem?  Something has to be wrong.  I have been watching what I eat, especially during the week.  At first I was enemic last year & had to have an iron fusion done, that made me very constipated.  Had my PCP ref me to my Gastroinstestinal Dr. and he put me on meds that has cleared up the constipation.  Still no weight lost.  Does anyone know if I would be a candidate for a revision?  I have an appointment with my doctor that did the original RNY on next week to see what he thinks about this situation.  If exercising didn't make me feel so good afterwards, I probably would have given that up.  I have NEVER been one to exercise, I have always hated it. But now I love it.
I hope to hear from someone with a similar situation.  I want to head this thing off before I have gained every lb back on.  I was on about 15 different meds before WLS and now down to four.  I want to stay there.

Hettie
dsnydi
on 5/5/09 4:57 am
Carmen ~

I feel like I could have written this myself.  I had my RnY in 1999 and almost ten years later I'm in the process of being approved for a revision due to a large stoma.  I was supposed to have endoscopy yesterday, but it was postponed until June 1st.  The thing I like about my surgeon is that the actually goes with you for these tests.  This way he sees first hand what things look like rather than relying on a report from a doc who isn't familiar with obesity surgeries.

When I had my upper GI done a year ago he was with me then as well.  He had them tape a quarter to the machine because he wanted to compare the stoma with it.  Turns out my stoma was that big when it should be the size of a dime.

I'm hoping that the endoscopy report is enough to encourage Aetna to approve my revision.  I want to have it done in August.  Here's hoping!

Diane

Pre-Revision: 228 - I had my second baby Feb. 18, 2009
Current Weight: 186 I had a revision via lap to my RnY on August 18, 2009

Most Active