Test for too large a stoma?

brandyII
on 4/29/09 7:53 am
How do they check to see if your stoma is too large after you've had RNY.  I know that they can be stretched once you've had a stricture.  Is there any going back if it's stretched too far other than surgery?  Thanks
JROLFSON
on 4/29/09 8:20 am - St. George, UT
Hi Brandy:

I believe the test is an Endoscopy....I may be wrong...But that's what they gave me 4 different times when they were checking to see what was going on.

JRolfson
Ellie J.
on 4/29/09 8:23 am - TN
They measured mine with an endoscope and were able to tell it was too large.

I don't think there's a way to fix it "non-surgically"...They have Stomaphyx, Rose, Scleropathy(sp?) etc (endoscopic revisions) but I haven't heard of really good results from them, and most of the time insurance won't pay for those kind of revisions.  Some people get lapbands put over their pouch to act as an "artificial" stoma, but if your pouch is still as small as it should be, then the band would be too large to put over the pouch.  Then there's the DS procedure which is a whole other surgery (dif. than RNY) that apparently works very well.

I wish there was a way to shrink it back, lol.  
brandyII
on 4/29/09 8:36 am
Thanks guys, so basically if you're hungry all the time your stoma is probably stretched so that you food goes right through.   Would most people know this anyway by their hunger and possible/probably weight gain?  Do people ever use diet drugs to counter this hunger?  Sorry for all the questions just trying to understand things a bit better for me and people I know who already have the RNY.  Thanks!
JROLFSON
on 4/30/09 4:05 am - St. George, UT
Hi Brandy:

Yes, an enlarged Stoma will definately make you feel hungry....If the food is passing straight through and you have no restriction....ultimately your not satisfied and you will want to eat more, more, more...The only thing I can tell you is eat more Protein....lots of meat....it won't drop through the stoma as quickly and will give you some satiety...

Diet drugs, let me tell you I took them for years before my very first surgery in 1979 and believe you me you can't even buy these anymore they were so strong. They are great while your taking them, but, wait until you stop....you not only will gain wait, but you will gain twice as much back...Been there and done that so many times. Save your money, your heart and your overall health....don't get them! Just one persons opinion though!

If you are truly wanting to lose weight and aren't necessarily looking for a revision surgery...go back to the Protein Liquid Diet for a week or so....You probably did it before surgery and after, believe me it helps shrink the pouch....Weigh****chers is really great to....or just lots and lots of protein helps.

Good Luck.

JRoflson

brandyII
on 4/30/09 4:31 am, edited 4/30/09 4:32 am
Thanks for the info.  Yes those were the good ole days those 70s diet drugs, lol.  I was actually asking about the stoma question for someone else and as a preventative for myself as I was a bander and not an RNYer yet.  I have no band now but am getting the RNY 6/11 (knock on wood).

That protein info is good though about it being denser to help keep you hungry long if you are a bit stretched, thanks again!

Oh and good luck to you with whatever they do to help you for your revision.

JROLFSON
on 4/30/09 7:19 am - St. George, UT
Brandy good luck to you on your RNY Revision....I'm having an ERNY on May 20th...

I am a fan of the RNY because it did work for me for a very long time...16 years I kept my weight off and I really blew it about 4 years ago. i moved in with my Mom and Grandmother whom I took care of and because they needed to eat I ate and ate and ate....But I know RNY works...But you do have to stick to what they tell you about after care and most importantly get into a support group.

I know you'll do good.

Janie
brandyII
on 4/30/09 10:40 am, edited 4/30/09 10:40 am
Thanks Janie,

I wish you luck with yours too!!  Especially after taking care of your familly you deserve something for yourself too! 
taraemerson
on 4/30/09 4:45 am - New Boston, TX
Have you tried the 5 day pouch test?

i looked it up on the world according to eggface website. look into it see if that might help shed some light on the situation.

i am facing a revision so i know how you feel.......... good luck to you.. 
brandyII
on 4/30/09 4:51 am, edited 4/30/09 4:52 am
Thanks,

I've never heard of that site but have heard of the five day pouch test as I guess it's the same as it is in lapband land.  The person I know who had RNY seems to have more hunger than she used to but it might be normal as she's about a year post-op.  Plus being a revision I don't want to screw this up for myself so I'm a little paranoid, lol.
Most Active