considering revision, what are my options?

elsa
on 4/29/09 7:45 am - fort worth, TX
I started at 260lbs got down to 140lbs. had a baby 11 months ago and am still at 190.  i'm only 4ft 9in.  

i had all the tests and my dr said my pouch was stretched. also had a fistula (hole to old pouch) it was fixed but i still cant loose wheight.

what are the different options from a RNY?
StacysMom
on 4/29/09 8:15 am
 Check out these two articles - one goes into all of the RNY revision options and the pros and cons of each type:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3886215/Everyone-should- read-this-Revision-Procedures-for-Failed/

and

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3886208/Great-article-on-RNY-revisions-from-Bariatric-Journal/

Be sure and do your research before making a decision.   And, be aware that not all revisions options are available in all areas.   Also, insurance doesn't cover all of the options either, but sometimes you can fight them and get what you want.  

Best of luck to you.   
JROLFSON
on 4/29/09 8:17 am - St. George, UT
Well Elsa:

There are many....I'll name them as they come to mind here....

Let's see you can go from RNY to Distal or ERNY...This is where they shorten the Common Channel and give you more malabsorption.

You can band over an RNY.

You can Sleeve over an RNY. I believe this requires a take down of the pouch...

You can do a full take down of the RNY and go to a DS which gives both Restriction and Malabsorption.

There is a new procedure called Vergito....You can have a look at how this is done on Dr. Husted's site. And actually I believe his site shows several of these methods.

And then there are some less invasive procedures that aren't getting rave reviews, although some folks are opting for a less invasive procedure and adding some restriction.

They are; Stomaphyx, Rose Procedure and Sclerotherapy...

I believe if you google any of these you will get some answers to how the procedures are done. But I'm sure you will get lots of answers here as well..

Hope I haven't overwelmed you....

Good Luck in your quest to find the right one for you. Feel free to ask me any questions you would like. I've actually had a Gastric Stapling....Revised to RNY....and now being Revised to ERNY.....

Everyone out there, please help on this...Thanks...

JRolfson
pepsi98
on 4/29/09 8:59 am - Norwich, CT
On April 29, 2009 at 3:17 PM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
Well Elsa:

There are many....I'll name them as they come to mind here....

Let's see you can go from RNY to Distal or ERNY...This is where they shorten the Common Channel and give you more malabsorption.

You can band over an RNY.

You can Sleeve over an RNY. I believe this requires a take down of the pouch...

You can do a full take down of the RNY and go to a DS which gives both Restriction and Malabsorption.

There is a new procedure called Vergito....You can have a look at how this is done on Dr. Husted's site. And actually I believe his site shows several of these methods.

And then there are some less invasive procedures that aren't getting rave reviews, although some folks are opting for a less invasive procedure and adding some restriction.

They are; Stomaphyx, Rose Procedure and Sclerotherapy...

I believe if you google any of these you will get some answers to how the procedures are done. But I'm sure you will get lots of answers here as well..

Hope I haven't overwelmed you....

Good Luck in your quest to find the right one for you. Feel free to ask me any questions you would like. I've actually had a Gastric Stapling....Revised to RNY....and now being Revised to ERNY.....

Everyone out there, please help on this...Thanks...

JRolfson
Janie you don't need anay help..you did a great job!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

smileyjamie72
on 5/1/09 7:52 am - Palmer, AK
Elsa,

I cannot offer up anymore suggestions than waht has already been said, but I would like to offer my support.

I have a couple questions, though.... Which tests did you do to determine that your puch was stretched?  Was there a different test to find out about your fistula, how did you get the findings on that?

THANKS!!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active