Successful Revision Surgeries in MI?

Theresa W.
on 4/29/09 5:14 am - Northern Lower, MI
Hi all,
I am starting to research now....have had alot of weight gain from RNY done in Dec 2003....looking for revision surgery.  Anyone in MI find a surgeon or type of revision they like? 
Thanks for any responses,
Theresa 
Also, I have BCBSM Community Blue PPO....is revision approval hard to get?  Thanks!

jeanyjane
on 4/29/09 6:27 am - Germany
Hi,

I am sorry to hear that the RNY didn`t work for you. Have you already decided which revision you want? There are nearly as many revision types like first-time WLS. I`ve read on your profile that you had sclerotherapy in 2006 and I guess that wasn`t a longterm sucess either..
There are basically 3 more revision types - band over bypass, ERNY (bypassing more of the small intestines) or DS. The DS is the most invasive but also the one that has the best results, while Band over bypass usually brings slow weight loss and ERNY has mixed results. Ideally you could consult with  surgeon that does all surgeries and can give you an unbiased opinion about what`s best for you. Unfortunately there aren`t many surgeons that do revisions from RNY to DS; but it can be done.
mew6495
on 4/29/09 10:29 am - MI
On April 29, 2009 at 12:14 PM Pacific Time, Theresa W. wrote:
Hi all,
I am starting to research now....have had alot of weight gain from RNY done in Dec 2003....looking for revision surgery.  Anyone in MI find a surgeon or type of revision they like? 
Thanks for any responses,
Theresa 
Also, I have BCBSM Community Blue PPO....is revision approval hard to get?  Thanks!
 Hi Theresa,

I had a revision last October.  BCBS of MI paid for mine.  However, they would not give me pre approval.  Then they told me the criteria was;

1.  Had to be medically necessary
2.  Could not be because you did not loose the amount of weight you had originally wanted to
3.  Doctor had to state what precipitated the failure.

I have heard that they had changed some of the criteria now.  Actually made it easier from what I understand but I am not sure of the details.  I would suggest calling them or going on line and checking it out.  I found that I had to call back a few times because I received different answers from different people.   Once I pinned them down they seemed to all agree....

I originally had RNY proximal in 2001.  I chose to go with the ERNY but I traveled to have mine done for various reasons.  My common channel is now 75 cm and it has been a good decision for me.

You can go to the site here on OH to see what doctors are in MI and what types of revisions they do and start there.

Good Luck.

CoachRoz
on 4/29/09 12:52 pm
Hi Theresa,

Thank you for posting and your courage to seek information versus letting weight regain beat you.  Along with a revision procedure - ROSE, Lapband, etc - I hope you have the resources to understand how the weight was regained since the RNY, too.

I'm a OH support group leader for Beat Weight Regain with ROSE.  It's a community for people considering any revision operation.

I'm posting research findings, hosting live chats and holding monthly group coaching calls.  I hope you join and keep us posted on your successes.

Best,
Coach Roz
OH Support Group Leaders - Beat Weight Regain with ROSE

Group search - ROSE
dreaminofthin
on 5/1/09 12:47 am - Hillman, MI

Hi, Theresa!  I noticed you're from Northern Lower MI - I just wondered where exactly.  I'm from Hillman.  I don't very often see people on here from MI period, let alone Northern Lower!  This always catches my eye. 

I'm actually awaiting a surgery date for a revision from a Lap-band to a DS - I'm having Dr. Paul Kemmeter from Grand Rapids do my surgery.  I've heard many, many good things about him and his partners.  I think they all do revisions, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck

Stephanie

Lizzie_B
on 5/26/09 1:13 am - Jackson, MI
Hello my dearest Theresa, thank you for posting this question and thank you to all who have replied.  I haven't been on the board for close to 2 yrs. now because I am too ashamed and so incredibly disappointed in myself for the weight I have gained. I had RNY surgery in 7/2005 and lost 160lbs., I had a tummy tuck in 12/2006 and then 2/2007 came along and I fell into a deep depression...I have chronic depression, so I should have watched myself more carefully.  At any rate, by 2/2008 I had gained back 75lbs. It wasn't until about this time last year that I started getting my head above water high enough to begin seeing that not only was I eating to feed my body, but my depression as well, and the more I gained, the less I interacted with people BECAUSE I'm so ashamed and so incredibly disappointed in myself...it's quite the cycle.
So where am I??  Do I do as you and KP have always said..."Go back to the beginning, start over like it's your first couple of weeks post-op", do I say to my wonderful and supportive Dr., please help me...anything you can do? Do I start trying diet pills or drinks and stuff??  Can I have some kind of revision that will get everything working the way it was???   I'm lost.

Bluejeans (formerly Lizzie B )

Most Active