Lap Band over Gastric Bypass Revision

JRinAZ
on 4/28/09 9:41 am - Layton, UT
On April 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM Pacific Time, Sheryl_Williams wrote:
Joyce, why did your RNY fail to begin with?  Was it for metabolic issues or mechanical issues?  How much weight did you lose?

I have a failed RNY (stopped losing 4 months out) and am trying to decipher whether I need a DSt o combat the metabolic issues, or if the ERNY would do it.
Hiya Sheryl!
Not absolutely sure what the heck happened to me!  I'm sure that my snacks and nibbles contributed.  I had oodles of tests run and though my stoma was wide open, it wasn't reason enough for insurance to cover. 

My original weight was 278.  I lost down to 132 and maintained the 130's for a few months before jumping up into the 140's.  I was there a couple of years and then had 2 MAJOR surgeries within 6 months.  It kicked my rearend, took me out of the gym and launched me into depression!  Food was my friend!  I gained back up to 170'ish.   I was still over 100 pounds less than when I started to everyone tried to pacify me by reminding me of that fact!  BUT.....I was having co-moribidities return.  I was actually scheduled for a stomaphyx in early Nov of 07 and then started having critical pain.  We cancelled the stomaphyx (thank Heaven's!!!!) and scheduled an exploratory bowel surgery. 

My surgeon just revised me at the same time he repaired the bowel and fixed scarring and hernias.  I was technically just 40 to 50 pounds over goal weight but with heart and diabetes issues nipping at my heels; those were BIG pounds to lose!  I was 172 the morning of surgery and had been a tad higher before that.  I lost as low as near 100 pounds but with an accurate vitamin replacement attack and some diet redo; I have finally gotten myself into a healthy weight range and a healthy lifestyle.  50 centimeters common channel was way to short for me so my healing curve was a little longer than most.  I'm fine now but am VERY high maintenance!!!  My hubby always asks if I've taken my vites, downed my protein and packed my water!!!

Good luck with your revision journey!  Think of it as your first chance rather than your second chance and definitely NOT as your last chance!  Thank Heaven's the medical community continues to improve WLS and the aftercare.  I'm not one of those who says she would never do it over again.  I stay on the Revision forum cuz I know that none of us can "never say never" and I want to be up to date with the latest!

...find joy in your journey!
Joyce in AZ
Sheryl_Williams
on 4/28/09 9:49 am
RNY on 02/25/08 with
So would you say that most of your loss following the revision has come from less calories or more malabsorption?

I still qualify for surgery because my BMI is still 40 -- even after the first surgery.  No matter how little I eat, my weight maintains.  I'm not sure which way to go with this -- to go all the way with the DS or if the ERNY with a short common channel (whatever that is!) will give me the malabsorption I need to make this a success.  I'm not sure I had any malabsorption to begin with, to tell you the truth.

If not enough intestine was bypassed, then my body only had the low calories to rely on -- which flung me into starvation mode that I can't get out of -- because of the small pouch.
To have what you've never had, you must do what you've never done.  Victories don't come at discount prices.
KRWaters
on 4/27/09 3:43 am - Manteca, CA
My local bariatric surgeon suggested a lapband over the Rny, which was not working for me. I came home from that doc appt and got online to research this band over Rny idea. In so doing, I found the DS forum. Many  think I am overstating this, but I want EVERYONE to be informed to know that the DS is out there. Sometimes, it may cost extra either for traveling to a DS surgeon or for the program fee, but some people might be abe to handle this, if they only knew about the DS to  begin with. More and more insurance companies are approving it, and if not, there are appeals. Just another avenue to consider.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active