Lap Band over Gastric Bypass Revision

tochatty
on 4/25/09 11:31 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I am 9 years post op from Open RNY and have a staple rupture.  I am in the process of gathering information and talking to various surgeons about what my options are and I recently was informed about the posibility of Lap Band over Gastric Bypass revision and I'm curious if anyone else has heard of this or had this done?

Any informaiton you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  No one wants to have revision but it is nice to know there are options out there if there is a need.

Thank you,

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

brandyII
on 4/25/09 12:31 pm
Sorry don't have any info for you I was lap band and now going RNY but have to ask you is a staple rupture very painful and what are the signs?  Thanks and hope things work out for you!
tochatty
on 4/25/09 2:47 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Good evening,

Actually I dont know when the staple rupture and break down took place, I have just gained over the years quick at first and than slowly and I have been trying to lose weight for the past three four years, counting calories, going back to weigh****chers, etc.... well have known for quite some time I can eat large portions of foods, a 12 inch subway sandwich on occasion, etc, and so I went to my doctor and she recommended I get an Upper GI to check on the pouch and thats when it was detected that I have fluids and food bypassing into my old stomach and through the new stomach. 

Although I am not in any pain of course I"m not happy at 255 lbs I would like to finish what I started 10 years ago and be healthy.  So I am just checking to see what my options are if having a second surgery is the route I should go.

Good luck to you, I see quite a few lap bands going to RNY and that also raises a flag in my head as to what is happening there?  What is the reason for your revision? 

Open RNY 07/2000
Seeking Revision GBS

brandyII
on 4/25/09 3:40 pm, edited 4/25/09 3:41 pm
I actually never lost on the band and started to gained.  I also developed acid reflux painful enough to land me in the hospital with chest pains and that's when they decided to remove it.  I had it for about 14 months prior to that.  Crispy foods like chips, cookies and many junk foods will go through the band and at the time I thought they were all solids and I would be full but not necessarily true.  My daughter, 20, had the RNY after I was banded and she's done well but seems ot hit a plateau for a while.  So I see her frustration but the way I look at it she's lost over 120 lbs and looks and feels great so I'm trying to see the positives but I suppose it's different when it's "you". 

Will they restaple you and put the band on your smaller pouch or what?  I'm not sure what they're actually going to do for you.  I know with every WL surgery we get there are comps and revisions etc...and  it's very frustrating.   When you get surgery you don't want to think about all the things that could go wrong or stop working but it's something we all have to deal with I suppose.  Anyway good luck to you and I hope you can get back to a "happy place" again!

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/09 2:28 am - AZ
On April 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM Pacific Time, tochatty wrote:
Good evening,

Actually I dont know when the staple rupture and break down took place, I have just gained over the years quick at first and than slowly and I have been trying to lose weight for the past three four years, counting calories, going back to weigh****chers, etc.... well have known for quite some time I can eat large portions of foods, a 12 inch subway sandwich on occasion, etc, and so I went to my doctor and she recommended I get an Upper GI to check on the pouch and thats when it was detected that I have fluids and food bypassing into my old stomach and through the new stomach. 

Although I am not in any pain of course I"m not happy at 255 lbs I would like to finish what I started 10 years ago and be healthy.  So I am just checking to see what my options are if having a second surgery is the route I should go.

Good luck to you, I see quite a few lap bands going to RNY and that also raises a flag in my head as to what is happening there?  What is the reason for your revision? 

The band sucks in just about every way possible.  With that said it seems to suck a lot less for bypassed folks.  I don't know if it is the anatomical differences or what but they seem to slip and erode less than those who did not have bypass first.

The weight loss is a LOT slower but it does come off.  It's probably your safest option as far as surgical risk.  But... weight loss is very slow.

I'd look at all your options, weigh risk vs. benefit, and go from there.

woolstitcher
on 4/25/09 8:39 pm - OH

I'm "in process" of having this done. I'm currently dealing with insurance issues ... but when that gets sorted out it's what my doc has suggested. 
I had a RNY about 13 yrs ago.
Like you, I can't seem to find a lot of info on RNY w/ lap band revision.

"Mom, in our house every day is Autism Awareness Day"
~my 9 year old w/ ASD
pepsi98
on 4/25/09 10:18 pm - Norwich, CT
I had a band placed over my old bypass in 12/08 and so far I am happy with my revision choice!  I've lost 34 lbs which is slow, but I'm ok with that.  I've had 4 fills and 2 unfills and go for another fill on 5/14, but the slow weight loss gives me time to let my head catch up.

I think a lap band over a bypass is a great option!  There are other options open to you...ERNY, DS etc so do your research and choose the one that fits into your life.  Sometimes we have constraints on us such as sick time, finances travel etc that may make the decision as to what to revise to easier, so choose the one that fits into your life.

PM me anytime if you want more info and best of luck!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

tochatty
on 4/26/09 3:33 am, edited 4/27/09 10:14 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Thank you everyone to posted to this thread, I apperciate everyone's opinions and thoughts.  Of course no decision has to be made right now, I have one physician looking into the criteria with my health insurance to see how strict they are, I already have the last 10 years of medical records in case I need those, I have my PCP writing a letter on my behalf and she is also the one *****commended the GBS the first time around.  So at least i will have all my ducks in a row for when I feel well informed enough to make a decision.

Open RNY 07/2000
Seeking Revision GBS

JRinAZ
on 4/27/09 7:15 am - Layton, UT
On April 26, 2009 at 10:33 AM Pacific Time, tochatty wrote:
Thank you everyone to posted to this thread, I apperciate everyone's opinions and thoughts.  Of course no decision has to be made right now, I have one physician looking into the criteria with my health insurance to see how strict they are, I already have the last 10 years of medical records in case I need those, I have my PCP writing a letter on my behalf and she is also the one *****commended the GBS the first time around.  So at least i will have all my ducks in a row for when I feel well informed enough to make a decision.
Hiya Jennifer!
Kudos to you for doing some research before the docs give their .02!!!  I personally would have loved being able to get a DS but.....too many prior surgeries, combined with an obstructed bowel and I had to go open and fast (DS is complicated and too risky for many of us who are prior Rny).  I considered band over Rny cuz I was working for the lapband guru of AZ at the time but, I wasn't seeing dramatic results like I personallly was after.  Their losses were slow which apparently works really well for bunches of people.  I'm a results oriented girl.  I wanted things fixed yesterday!  LOL!  so, the eRny fit my personal needs the best.  .....  My common channel was shortened too much and other medical conditions combined to make a "kick rear end" kind of year post-revision.

Dr. Simpson AND Dr. Schlesinger in Phoenix have contributed to my aftercare and my health has made a huge leap forward finally!  My vite levels started improving the 1st of the year and my energy has followed.  I'm gluten free to the bloating & gas have subsided and my biggest challenge now is finding yummy recipes to replace my tired old tried and true routine!

We're having a REvision support group start up in May.  It will be open to everyone and will hopefully be a place for all of us to share honest exchanges and information.  We've already met together a couple of times for bites to eat and I've personally learned sooooo much!!!!  I'll announce the times/locations on the AZ state forum for those interested.

Good luck on your new journey!  Weeding it out is a difficult process but always keep YOU at the top of the list and your own personal goals up front regardless of what docs might be throwing at you.

TTYL,

Joyce in AZ
Revision to eRNY 12/26/07
at Goal
Sheryl_Williams
on 4/28/09 7:20 am
RNY on 02/25/08 with
Joyce, why did your RNY fail to begin with?  Was it for metabolic issues or mechanical issues?  How much weight did you lose?

I have a failed RNY (stopped losing 4 months out) and am trying to decipher whether I need a DSt o combat the metabolic issues, or if the ERNY would do it.
To have what you've never had, you must do what you've never done.  Victories don't come at discount prices.
Most Active