Need advice: 180lbs should I get my band out and have RNY?

Ca_girl
on 4/25/09 5:16 am - McKinney, TX

Okay long story short: my lap band pretty much failed me. I was down to 170 and have creeped back up to 180 - the fill level I need to feel restriction makes me uncomfortable and is painful. I have to keep going back for fill/unfill - my band developed a pouch and slipped.

I now need to have it out. My dr. advised me on RNY since my insurance would cover it but I'm a little weary that I'll lose too much weight.

Anyone with experience? Advice?

I would love the VSG but unfortunately at this point my insurance does not cover it and I don't have the resources in this tough economy to do a self pay.

MARCIAM
on 4/25/09 5:20 am - Sayville, NY
I also needed to have my band out in emergency surgery.  My BMI was higher than yours but my doctor explained that after the revision my weightloss would be much slower than a brand new RNY person since I had much less to lose.  I am thrilled with my revision and hope that you will be too!
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Ca_girl
on 4/25/09 5:28 am - McKinney, TX
Thanks that is what my doctor had explained to me but just wanted to see if there was anyone who actually has been thru it. Can I ask how much you lost with your band and how long you had it?

How much have you lost thus far with RNY?

MARCIAM
on 4/25/09 5:32 am - Sayville, NY
I had my band for 2 1/2 years.  I had lost 85 pounds and then put back on 20 after my band was emptied.  I have gone from 237 to 191 since I had my RNY in September 22 for 46 pounds so far. I am very, very happy with my revision!
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

tochatty
on 4/25/09 11:34 am - Scottsdale, AZ
It is interesting reading your thread because I am trying to find someone that had the opposite, I had Open RNY 9 years ago and got to a lower of 185, I started gaining weight back in 2002, two  years after my surgery and since have put over 70 lbs back on.

I have seen two surgeons, one who wants to do a massive malabsortion Distal surgery to revise my GBS, and the other wants to do the band over the GBS.  I am trying to see if anyone is familiar with those I want to get as many of the facts up front before making a decision.

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

pepsi98
on 4/25/09 10:23 pm - Norwich, CT
On April 25, 2009 at 6:34 PM Pacific Time, tochatty wrote:
It is interesting reading your thread because I am trying to find someone that had the opposite, I had Open RNY 9 years ago and got to a lower of 185, I started gaining weight back in 2002, two  years after my surgery and since have put over 70 lbs back on.

I have seen two surgeons, one who wants to do a massive malabsortion Distal surgery to revise my GBS, and the other wants to do the band over the GBS.  I am trying to see if anyone is familiar with those I want to get as many of the facts up front before making a decision.
Well, I have had a lap band placed over my old bypass and am very happy with my choice.  I've lost 34 lbs although very slowly, but I'm ok with that.

It was the best decision for me, but thankfully there are many different options for all of us.  Just do your research and choose the revision that fits best into your life cir****tances.

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

mew6495
on 4/25/09 11:23 pm - MI
On April 25, 2009 at 6:34 PM Pacific Time, tochatty wrote:

Hi tochatty,

I had my original wls Proximal RNY in 2001.  I also gained some of my weight back.  I chose to go to an ERNY last October and to date have been very happy with my results.  I do know there are varying experiences with both ERNY (version of distal) and band over bypass folks.  No WLS is guaranteed to be perfect.  The hard part is deciding what will work for you and what you can fit into your life style.

However, I should mention that I did not have to deal with a staple line.  When my pouch was created they transected my stomach.  So if you go to the distal RNY, will they redo your pouch?

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/09 2:22 am - AZ
On April 25, 2009 at 12:16 PM Pacific Time, Ca_girl wrote:

Okay long story short: my lap band pretty much failed me. I was down to 170 and have creeped back up to 180 - the fill level I need to feel restriction makes me uncomfortable and is painful. I have to keep going back for fill/unfill - my band developed a pouch and slipped.

I now need to have it out. My dr. advised me on RNY since my insurance would cover it but I'm a little weary that I'll lose too much weight.

I would love the VSG but unfortunately at this point my insurance does not cover it and I don't have the resources in this tough economy to do a self pay.

I can't say that I would do bypass when I really wanted VSG.  I self paid for my band and revision to sleeve.  If I had a choice between insurance/bypass and self pay/sleeve I would wait until you can afford the sleeve.  Bypass has such a high failure rate and you are so limited in what you can do after you are bypassed if you begin to regain.  Dr. Husted said that 1 in 5 fail bypass.  Then what will you do?  A 3rd surgery for ERNY?

What if you go to Mexico?  It can be a very good and very safe option.  Dr. Aceves is probably the best revision surgeon for band to sleeve, band to bypass, sleeve to bypass, etc.  It is $12,500 for a revision from band to sleeve.  You can't go to just anyone in Mexico but you can't go to just anyone in the states either.  Rumbaut is another excellent option and he's in Monterrey.

If you already know you do well with restriction alone then doesn't bypass seem like a bit of overkill?

hollyberries
on 5/6/09 12:42 pm - Carver, MA

I feel like I am reading about myself.  Had an appt with my surgeon today and he indicated that I should revise to RNY because I have been having trouble with my band.  We are not sure if I have a sli*****t  but I have an Upper GI scheduled for two weeks.  He wants to check the position of the band and then talk about a revision.  He stated that in a small % of patients the band is just going to work because of the tightness.  I have a 4cc band with only 2cc's in it...

One thing I have found weird is that I am starving but I can't eat solid protein.  I have reverted to eating slider foods because I am in so much pain when I eat.  This has resulted in a 20lb+ weight gain...I am not beating myself up but I want to eat without pain and have my tool work for me...

I am unsure what to do.  Any thoughts...
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/09 2:06 pm - AZ
On May 6, 2009 at 7:42 PM Pacific Time, hollyberries wrote:

I feel like I am reading about myself.  Had an appt with my surgeon today and he indicated that I should revise to RNY because I have been having trouble with my band.  We are not sure if I have a sli*****t  but I have an Upper GI scheduled for two weeks.  He wants to check the position of the band and then talk about a revision.  He stated that in a small % of patients the band is just going to work because of the tightness.  I have a 4cc band with only 2cc's in it...

One thing I have found weird is that I am starving but I can't eat solid protein.  I have reverted to eating slider foods because I am in so much pain when I eat.  This has resulted in a 20lb+ weight gain...I am not beating myself up but I want to eat without pain and have my tool work for me...

I am unsure what to do.  Any thoughts...

Ohhhh please, don't eat slider foods!

If you can eat ice cream you can drink protein shakes.

If you can eat crackers and chips, you can eat dried veggies.

If you can eat mashed potatoes, you can eat refried beans (that YOU make, NOT canned!)

At least eat the right slider foods.

If you cannot refrain from eating bad slider foods then RNY or DS is for you.  If you can eat the better quality slider foods and stick to it, then a sleeve is for you.

Bands suck, no way around it. :o(

Most Active