lap band pain

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/09 2:14 am - AZ
On April 26, 2009 at 9:40 PM Pacific Time, KRWaters wrote:
Grow up and go away. I just believe the good people on here when they rave about a very highly proficient procedure that really works. If it does not work for me, I know in my heart that it is still the best WLS out there. Read, read, read.

If you are basing on the raves of posters, have you checked out the band boards?  They are raving about it there as well.  So... what does that mean?

They believe the band really works for them too... for now.

JROLFSON
on 4/27/09 3:22 am, edited 4/27/09 3:23 am - St. George, UT

Yea, I agree with you Pepsi &  MWG....I pay out over $800.00 per month on company and private supplemental insurance and still can't get them to pay for a revision to a DS....so it is very frustrating to me that those who are living on the state can assume we could afford to self pay....If I sold everything I owned I would still have to make a payment monthly to self pay a DS...

FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/09 3:29 am - AZ
On April 27, 2009 at 10:22 AM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:

Yea, I agree with you Pepsi &  MWG....I pay out over $800.00 per month on company and private supplemental insurance and still can't get them to pay for a revision to a DS....so it is very frustrating to me that those who are living on the state can assume we could afford to self pay....If I sold everything I owned I would still have to make a payment monthly to self pay a DS...

FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!

If DS is so great one wonders why others got welfare to pay for bypass instead of just doing as she expects everyone ELSE to do, self pay for DS.

It just isn't always possible.

JROLFSON
on 4/27/09 4:20 am - St. George, UT
Yea, really!!!

I know the long term results from DS are encouraging but frankly it isn't for everyone and even the (3) DS surgeons I spoke with about DS told me I am a very AT RISK! candidate. I've had (3) prior abdominal surgeries and frankly the last one was pretty scary the scar tissue was so bad.
I was on the table (8) hours and had to be transfused. I'm not sure I'm up to that again. Considering they would have to take down my pouch, transect my stomach and then do the malabsorption portion of the procedure, not to mention dealing with the scar tissue.

I think my opting for just malabsorption is about all I can handle right now. Besides the real issue is money...some people seem to think you can just go into the backyard and pick some off the tree.....

Janie

pepsi98
on 4/27/09 7:07 am - Norwich, CT
On April 27, 2009 at 11:20 AM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
Yea, really!!!

I know the long term results from DS are encouraging but frankly it isn't for everyone and even the (3) DS surgeons I spoke with about DS told me I am a very AT RISK! candidate. I've had (3) prior abdominal surgeries and frankly the last one was pretty scary the scar tissue was so bad.
I was on the table (8) hours and had to be transfused. I'm not sure I'm up to that again. Considering they would have to take down my pouch, transect my stomach and then do the malabsorption portion of the procedure, not to mention dealing with the scar tissue.

I think my opting for just malabsorption is about all I can handle right now. Besides the real issue is money...some people seem to think you can just go into the backyard and pick some off the tree.....

Janie

I can really relate Janie...I too have had a lot of abdominal surgery (including my stapling in 1982) and I too have other issues along with adhesions (coagulation issues with a Protein S deficiency).  When I was researching a revision, I really was getting ready to travel off  to the West and get myself a revision, but my husband calmed  me down and we talked about it reasonably.  We could not afford for me to have a major surgery especially out of state.  So while I may have wanted a DS or ERNY it wasn't possible for me, so I have settled for what made sense and for me that was a band.  I still work at this every day (I don't think WLS is a panacea for anyone) as we ALL work at it every day.  I don't care what type of WLS we have, we still have to follow the rules and work at it.

I truly am thankful that there are so many options for all, but do somewhat resent those that are on welfare receiving what most of us have to pay for...or what most of are unable to get paid for by our insurance (which we pay for!)

I know you're getting ready for your ERNY and I want you to know that I wish you ALL the best!!  You'll do fine...you're determined and strong!

Sue

"The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

JROLFSON
on 4/27/09 8:14 am - St. George, UT
Thanks so much! Pepsi...I appreciate your support...And I am pretty determined by golly...

A little scared though!

Janie
pepsi98
on 4/28/09 6:28 am - Norwich, CT
Scared??? Normal as you know!!  Focus on the new slim for life you!!

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

JROLFSON
on 4/28/09 8:04 am - St. George, UT
By the way Pepsi....

I've been meaning to ask you. How are you doing with your new band? My husband is considering a first time WL procedure. I kind of thought the band might be the way to go for him. He's just now starting to get that big tummy thing going on...He's a really big guy, very stout, played college football, solid as a rock. But has gained about 55 lbs since we've been together about 10 years. He doesn't really want a major invasive surgery. He eats healthy, just too much. Do you think a band might be good for someone like him?

Appreciate your comments....

Janie
pepsi98
on 4/28/09 10:11 am - Norwich, CT
On April 28, 2009 at 3:04 PM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
By the way Pepsi....

I've been meaning to ask you. How are you doing with your new band? My husband is considering a first time WL procedure. I kind of thought the band might be the way to go for him. He's just now starting to get that big tummy thing going on...He's a really big guy, very stout, played college football, solid as a rock. But has gained about 55 lbs since we've been together about 10 years. He doesn't really want a major invasive surgery. He eats healthy, just too much. Do you think a band might be good for someone like him?

Appreciate your comments....

Janie
Well, Janie, if he doesn't want a very invasive surgery then a band would be the way to go.  Of course, the band is fussy...you have to be followed  up  (with fills)  pretty closely at least until you reach that level of restriction that is good.  Each person is different of course, but if he eats healthy now and volume is his problem, then the band might be the way for him to go.  I'm doing ok...got too tight and had to get 1.7cc's unfilled within the span of 1 month, so I don't have a lot of restriction right now and I'm struggling to find that "new band mentality".  I do have some restriction, but not a lot.

When is your ERNY?  Are you going to AZ?

Sue

JROLFSON
on 4/28/09 11:53 pm, edited 4/28/09 11:53 pm - St. George, UT
Yes, I'm going to Arizona and the date is May 20th...It's coming up real fast...But it certainly hasn't been a short time waiting...I've been solidly researching this since I joined OH in 2007....I have skipped around from one procedure to another and talked to many, many surgeons...

I'm at peace with my decision...and I feel I've made the right one for me...

Thanks for asking Sue...

Janie
Most Active