So Bummed Want Revision band over RNY

mlpandbaby
on 4/23/09 4:35 pm
I recently have been researching a revision band over my RNY bypass.  I had my bypass in 2000.  I lost 90lbs, and was happy.  I was 191lbs.  I got pregnant in 2004 and gained 45lbs.  In 2008 I had the ROSE procedure in NJ I am in the trial study.  I lost the initial 21lbs and that was it.  I can still eat alot....no restriction and always feel hungry.  I want to get the band over the bypass.  I live in Rochester NY, NYC is about 6hrs away.  I found Dr. Graber in Utica 2hrs away and I sent my records to him, I called him and the receptionist told me they dropped my insuranse(MVP).  I am so bummed I told her I wanted to be considered for self pay, but have no means of doing that.   My family will have nothing good to say If i told them I want something else done.  I would be on my own.  Now im back to looking for a surgeon again.  I keep looking at Dr. Garber, but traveling 6 hrs hmm... any thoughts..kind words..
thanks michelle
pepsi98
on 4/24/09 10:14 pm - Norwich, CT
On April 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM Pacific Time, mlpandbaby wrote:
I recently have been researching a revision band over my RNY bypass.  I had my bypass in 2000.  I lost 90lbs, and was happy.  I was 191lbs.  I got pregnant in 2004 and gained 45lbs.  In 2008 I had the ROSE procedure in NJ I am in the trial study.  I lost the initial 21lbs and that was it.  I can still eat alot....no restriction and always feel hungry.  I want to get the band over the bypass.  I live in Rochester NY, NYC is about 6hrs away.  I found Dr. Graber in Utica 2hrs away and I sent my records to him, I called him and the receptionist told me they dropped my insuranse(MVP).  I am so bummed I told her I wanted to be considered for self pay, but have no means of doing that.   My family will have nothing good to say If i told them I want something else done.  I would be on my own.  Now im back to looking for a surgeon again.  I keep looking at Dr. Garber, but traveling 6 hrs hmm... any thoughts..kind words..
thanks michelle
I had a band placed over my old gastric stapling from 1982.  If your insurance denies you you should contact [email protected].  There is a program sponsored by Allergan that allows ObesityLaw to file your appeal at no cost to you.  I did that and was apporved about a week after they took on the case after being denied.

PM  me is you want or need more info.  Good luck!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

KRWaters
on 4/25/09 2:11 am - Manteca, CA
If I were you I would seriously consider the duodenal switch, NOT A REVISION BAND!  Before you put it down, check out www.dsfacts.com  and wwwduodenalswitch.com and read up on the DS. If anyone you know has put the DS down, be it a personal friend or even a doctor, DO NOT believe them. There was once an older version of the DS done, that was indeed bad, but this newer one done since the late 80's is so much better. The first few months can be a real trial of your strength, but all so worth it in the end. You owe it to yourself to check it out before you make a final decision. Here's wishing you the best!

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

pepsi98
on 4/25/09 3:06 am - Norwich, CT
On April 25, 2009 at 9:11 AM Pacific Time, KRWaters wrote:
If I were you I would seriously consider the duodenal switch, NOT A REVISION BAND!  Before you put it down, check out www.dsfacts.com  and wwwduodenalswitch.com and read up on the DS. If anyone you know has put the DS down, be it a personal friend or even a doctor, DO NOT believe them. There was once an older version of the DS done, that was indeed bad, but this newer one done since the late 80's is so much better. The first few months can be a real trial of your strength, but all so worth it in the end. You owe it to yourself to check it out before you make a final decision. Here's wishing you the best!
Ya know...you start again!  First of all, this person posted specifically about a band over bypass...I responded because I addressed the question she asked.  You are NO expert and really should stop insulting people's intelligence.  Not everyone is in a position to have a DS, (as much as they might want to have it) especially as a revision.

So stop telling people what to do!!!  Who the heck do you think you are...you haven't even had surgery yet.  I rejoice that there are different surgical options available for all of us, but I NEVER tell people what revision to have and you have no right to do that either!

Enough already!

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/09 3:10 am - AZ
On April 25, 2009 at 10:06 AM Pacific Time, pepsi98 wrote:
Ya know...you start again!  First of all, this person posted specifically about a band over bypass...I responded because I addressed the question she asked.  You are NO expert and really should stop insulting people's intelligence.  Not everyone is in a position to have a DS, (as much as they might want to have it) especially as a revision.

So stop telling people what to do!!!  Who the heck do you think you are...you haven't even had surgery yet.  I rejoice that there are different surgical options available for all of us, but I NEVER tell people what revision to have and you have no right to do that either!

Enough already!

Hear hear!

Did you see on the other thread where she suggested someone with a BMI of under 30 get DS?

She hasn't even had the surgery herself yet and she's posted at least hundreds of times that everyone ELSE should get it.

pepsi98
on 4/25/09 3:16 am - Norwich, CT
No, I didn't see the other thread.  I am just so sick and tired of her total lack of respect for any other options other than the DS.  Instead of shooting down people's choices, we should be supporting them in whatever choice they make. 

This woman seriously has some "issues", and maybe she should seek out the help of a psychiatrist or something.

KRWaters
on 4/25/09 5:42 am - Manteca, CA
Honestly, you guys cannot read. I said  at the end "You owe it to yourself to check it out before you make a final decision." There are several people who now frequent the DS board who found out on this form about the DS as they weren't aware of it as I wasn't when I had the GB. All I said is CHECK IT OUT BEFORE MAKING FINAL DECISION." Anyone can pick what they want, but they sould be aware of all the choices!  I just did not know if she knew about the DS.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

pepsi98
on 4/25/09 7:22 am - Norwich, CT
On April 25, 2009 at 12:42 PM Pacific Time, KRWaters wrote:
Honestly, you guys cannot read. I said  at the end "You owe it to yourself to check it out before you make a final decision." There are several people who now frequent the DS board who found out on this form about the DS as they weren't aware of it as I wasn't when I had the GB. All I said is CHECK IT OUT BEFORE MAKING FINAL DECISION." Anyone can pick what they want, but they sould be aware of all the choices!  I just did not know if she knew about the DS.
Karen,
You are so biased that it is unbelievable!  I again say that I responded specifically to this woman who specifically asked about a band over bypass!!!!!  You don't have to be the DS poster child, so stop it!  You have NO personal knowledge at this point about revisions (only what you've either read or been fed) so you really don't have the right to post about something you have no personal knowledge about.  I can talk about DS or ERNY too, but don't as I am no expert and I've seen people do amazing with both and I've seen people do lousy with both.  There can be horror stories with any surgery.

Keep your  biased and often incorrect information to yourself.  If you want to support people, fine as that is what this forum is all about...SUPPORT and information.  Information from people who have actually "walked the walk".

mlpandbaby
on 4/25/09 11:28 am
Hi all...
Thank you pepsi or your input.  I will keep that in mind.  I have thought alot about the revision, and I choose not to get a DS.  I want the band over my bypass.  I was set with a surgeon but he no longer takes my insurance, so now its on to a new surgeon.  I will keep the info about the denial in mind if I have trouble.  Thank you.
Michelle
jonathan R.
on 4/27/09 4:47 am - east meadow, ny
 It is definitely worth your trip to see Dr. Shawn Garber.  He has a large experience with band over bypass .  I have met some of his patients had support group meetings that have had a huge success with band over bypass. Contact me with any questions.
Most Active