Question about revising from LB to another procedure

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/09 1:24 pm
 I haven't even had one-on-one yet but I'm chock full o'questions. I've seen a lot of posts from LB patients who needed to revise to RNY or VGS. My question is -- say I'm moderately or fully successful in losing weight with LB and something unfortunate happens like a slip or an erosion. If my BMI is under 30, would RNY be unsafe as I would likely lose a lot of additional weight. How do they handle something like that?

I'm just trying to prepare myself for everything (knowing, of course, that anything can happen).

Thanks
StacysMom
on 4/23/09 1:52 pm, edited 4/23/09 1:52 pm
 From what I've read here (and I've been reading for over two years now!), if you are successful with the lapband and feel that a restrictive-only procedure works for you, than the sleeve surgery is the next step.   Quite a few have had this revision and are thriving.   In fact, quite a few are opting for the sleeve as their first WLS, as it does not have the many potential complications of the lapband and does not require the maintenance of fills.

Please keep in mind that once you cut up your stomach into the pouch of the RNY, you limit the options for revisions in the future, if you find that you have regain or if you never reach your goal with your original surgery or with the RNY.  With the sleeve, you can always add the DS later, if you find you need the malabsorption in order to reach your goal.   You would lose the synergistic effect of having both the sleeve and initial malabsorption at the same time, but if your BMI is low, you should do OK.  
(deactivated member)
on 4/24/09 9:13 am - AZ
On April 23, 2009 at 8:24 PM Pacific Time, beaglemamma wrote:
 I haven't even had one-on-one yet but I'm chock full o'questions. I've seen a lot of posts from LB patients who needed to revise to RNY or VGS. My question is -- say I'm moderately or fully successful in losing weight with LB and something unfortunate happens like a slip or an erosion. If my BMI is under 30, would RNY be unsafe as I would likely lose a lot of additional weight. How do they handle something like that?

I'm just trying to prepare myself for everything (knowing, of course, that anything can happen).

Thanks

If you already know that you are good to go with restriction alone, why would you want to go to the extremes of malabsorption?  Wouldn't the sleeve be the next best choice for you?

The sleeve is like a band that actually works without all the risks and complications.

KRWaters
on 4/25/09 2:27 am - Manteca, CA
As strange as it may sounds, many insurance companies will NOT pay for the sleeve alone, but will pay for the duodenal switch. That is the top of the line (plantinum of surgeries), and you owe it to yourself to check it out. Read the websites that correlate with the DS, www.duodenalswitch.com and dsfacts.com , and then ask yourself, "have I checked out every option?" and go from there. I wish you well.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/09 2:58 am - AZ
On April 25, 2009 at 9:27 AM Pacific Time, KRWaters wrote:
As strange as it may sounds, many insurance companies will NOT pay for the sleeve alone, but will pay for the duodenal switch. That is the top of the line (plantinum of surgeries), and you owe it to yourself to check it out. Read the websites that correlate with the DS, www.duodenalswitch.com and dsfacts.com , and then ask yourself, "have I checked out every option?" and go from there. I wish you well.

Why in the world would someone with a BMI of under 30 get DS?  What doctor would do DS on a person with a BMI under 30?:

Do you actually read these posts before spamming the DS info?

pepsi98
on 4/25/09 3:23 am - Norwich, CT

"The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

KRWaters
on 4/25/09 5:46 am - Manteca, CA
haha ha ha, you are so right, i typed that in haste. She definitely would never qualify for any WLS with a BMI under 30. That was quite a mistake, e x c u s e me!

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/09 6:18 am
 Oh my gosh, I'm sorry to have started something with my hypothetical question. My mind has been working overtime about all this while I've been waiting for my one-on-one with my surgeon on Tuesday. I'm sure my mind will be spinning even MORE after the appointment so I very much appreciate those who have indulged my questions so far.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/25/09 7:05 am
I'm not clear on the BMI - are you saying your BMI is 30 now, or after some loss with a band?

If it's under 30 now, I don't think I'd risk any WLS, unless there are co-morbiditys that your doctor thinks would be helped.
pepsi98
on 4/25/09 7:26 am - Norwich, CT
No worries beaglemomma...some people just like to spout off on things that they have NO personal experience about.  You really didn't start anything.  I really  not too clear on your question either.  Have you lost with the band and are worried that you won't be able to keep it off?
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Most Active