ERNY

Denise V.
on 4/28/09 10:47 pm
I wish you all the best with your research, hopefully we will both find something that will work for us!
~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
Sue O.
on 5/4/09 2:32 pm - Brookfield, WI
I started talking to my surgeon last year about revising my RNY to ERNY.  He told me that it was possible, but we needed to evaluate if that was the appropriiate step.  The first step was a UGI / small bowel xray (loved the 3 forms of barium I got to drink), which showed normal post-op RNY anatomy.  The next step was an EGD ( scoping out the pouch to check pouch size and the size of the opening out of the pouch).  He didn't tell me the pouch was stretched or the opening was stretched, but showed I had an ulcer.  So that healed, had another EGD to verify that. 

I had been taking medication for arthritis, eventhough NSAIDS are no-nos for gastic  bypass patients but my pain levels were such that I wasn't able to go without and I wasn't offered any other options.  The ulcer meant cold-turkey stopping of those meds.  This launched a soaring of all over body pain, much more than just joint pain, which sent me to the rheumatologist and brought me to a diagnosis of fibromyagia.  So I started taking 2 meds for the fibro, and I still had joint pain.  So then I visited the ortho surgeon, who scoped the worst knee and said that there is a lot of cartilage in that knee that isn't there any more and my only option is new knees at some point in the future, and that I should continue to lose weight.

So now I'm back to my WL surgeon and it is time to ask the insurance about the revision.  I'm feeling pretty good these days with the fibro meds and all of my supplements, so I'll continue to work on the food and the activity to work on reducing the load on my joints.  I joined Weigh****chers 4 months ago, weight exactly the same now as when I started. 

Good luck on your travels to revision--

Sue .
Lap RNY 12/7/04  310 lbs; Lap ERNY 12/14/09   238 lbs
RNY:  310/268.5/202/170 (never got there!)
ERNY:  240/228/215/170

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/09 10:55 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
Hi Sue-How long was your bypass?  I still don't understand mine.  He told me it was 100 cm but my surgery report has 2 limbs of 100 cm long.  That would be 200 cm which is a distal bypass.  Yet my labs have been so high that Advanced Healthcare actually reran some of the labs for accuracy.  I only take 1 Flinstones vitamin which I probably shouldn't take.  Do you understand Dr. Prewitt's technique?  I am on WW too.  I tried the core plan but with the large stoma it is not helping.  Mothers day at my sister's house the closest thing to a vege was sour cream soaked cucumbers.  I ate 4800 calories that day.  I don't usually eat that much but frequently 2500 calories.  I am happy that he is helping you.  I ended up going to a gastroenterologist for an ENG in Jan. 2008.  After 2 years of begging for help I lost it and wrote a nasty review which I deleted a couple of hours later.  I feel badly but my blood sugar crashed, I had wine to get to sleep and I think I was drunk and I had 150 mgs of Benadryl on board (I took 50 mg capsules instead of 25 mg capsules).  I don't blame him for terminating the doctor patient relationship.  It was my fault but it is difficult without a doctor.  Good luck and I hope things work out for you.  Linda
Most Active