ERNY

Denise V.
on 4/24/09 2:35 am

I am sure this will sound dumb, but what is an ERNY?  Can someone please point me in a direction to get some info on it.  I am looking into getting a revision done, and am leaning towards BOB but, I have seen a lot about ERNY and would like to look into that as well!

TIA,

Denise

~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
JROLFSON
on 4/24/09 4:35 am, edited 4/24/09 4:37 am - St. George, UT
Hi Denise:

ERNY stands for Extended Roux N Y...So it's important to know what your first surgery was before you would investigate a ERNY. But, if it is RNY you would be a candidate.

I am scheduled for a ERNY on May 20th. So what they do in this surgery is shorten your common channel normally between 75-150 which in turn gives you additional malabsorption, which in turn helps you to drop additional weight. Also, the fact that you have more malabsorption increases risk for nutritional deficiencies which means...You must follow the rules of taking protein, water, vitamins. That all being said:

Many on this board I'm sure will chime in and give you information about the ERNY some will be totally and adamantely against it and some here will tell you there own experiences and how well it's worked for them. Some here will probably give you instances where it hasn't worked for them. And some will blatantly steer you towards other options.

Denise, check them all out....There are other revisions which offer better results...I wasn't a candidate for those other options due to insurance coverages and past abdominal surgeries that increase risk. Also, another important issue is how much you need or want to lose...The ERNY offers a person who follows the program the opportunity to lose most of the unwanted weight but I've seen an average of about 60-65 lbs. There are those on this board who have lost a lot more and some who have lost less. Your weight loss amount is very important when choosing.

Beware, I believe your head will be swimming with information quite soon.

Good luck and if you would like to ask me any other questions, feel free.

Janie
Denise V.
on 4/27/09 10:45 pm

Good Morning!

Thank you so much for replying to me!  I did indeed have RNY back in 05, and have steadily started regaining my weight that I had lost.  I am about 60lbs away from my Dr's goal, so that sounds like it is something that could possibly work for me... I am still exploring my options, but I really would like more info on the ERNY, I guess I will need to google for additional info...  I am really looking at the BOB or ERNY.

I wish you all the luck on the 20th!

Thanks!
Denise

~*~Denise~*~
JROLFSON
on 4/28/09 1:06 am - St. George, UT
Hi Denise:

And thank you for your response as well....So, can you tell me what is the BOB? Maybe I'm not thinking clearly this morning, not too unusual for me...But that term doesn't hit me?

Thanks again,

Janie
Denise V.
on 4/28/09 10:43 pm
Hi Janie!
A BOB is the band over bypass....  I have looked into it for sometime and that is what I am the most familiar with, but am still exploring my options.

Thanks again!
Denise
~*~Denise~*~
JRinAZ
on 4/28/09 9:13 am - Layton, UT
On April 28, 2009 at 5:45 AM Pacific Time, Denise V. wrote:

Good Morning!

Thank you so much for replying to me!  I did indeed have RNY back in 05, and have steadily started regaining my weight that I had lost.  I am about 60lbs away from my Dr's goal, so that sounds like it is something that could possibly work for me... I am still exploring my options, but I really would like more info on the ERNY, I guess I will need to google for additional info...  I am really looking at the BOB or ERNY.

I wish you all the luck on the 20th!

Thanks!
Denise

I hope this helps....

"The revision of a "classic Rny" to a highly malabsorptive operation can be more safely accomplished by revising it into a highly malabsorptive Rny (ERny). This procedure moves the Y downstream. It is the LEAST risky of all the revisions to a highly malabsorptive procedure as neither the pouch nor the stoma is touched. You gain the vast majority of the advantages of revision to a DS with only a small fraction of the risks.
Intermediate in risk between revising a "classic Rny" into a DS and revising a "classic Rny" into a highly malabsorptive Rny is revising a "classic Rny into a BPD. In this revision, in addition to moving the Y down stream, the excluded stomach (distal remnant) is removed. The theoretical advantage of this revision is a greater reduction in grehlin. There are no studies that document that the reduction in grehlin is greater when part of the stomach is removed. There is no information as to how long the reduction in grehlin lasts after any WLS.
Varying the length of the common conduit (bowel with both food and digestive juices) between 50 cm (most malabsorptive) and 100 cm (most conservative) will determine just how malabsorptive the procedure is.This is a decision to be made with your revision surgeon. Not every patient needs the most aggressive operation. This is yet another instance where experience counts.
Each of these revisions to highly malabsorptive procedures can be combined with a procedure that increases the restrictive component of the previous operation. "
Denise V.
on 4/28/09 10:45 pm

Good Morning!

Thank you, that was very insightful!  I wonder if that would be the best for me, as it looks as though my pouch and stoma have stretched, this looks like it just shortens the intestine...  I will keep reading up on it, I want to make sure I explore ALL my options!

Thanks again!

~*~Denise~*~
pepsi98
on 4/24/09 10:11 pm - Norwich, CT
On April 24, 2009 at 9:35 AM Pacific Time, Denise V. wrote:

I am sure this will sound dumb, but what is an ERNY?  Can someone please point me in a direction to get some info on it.  I am looking into getting a revision done, and am leaning towards BOB but, I have seen a lot about ERNY and would like to look into that as well!

TIA,

Denise

That is one beautiful baby!!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Denise V.
on 4/27/09 10:46 pm
Well thank you, I think she is too!  She is my pride and joy, and one of the major reasons I am looking into a revision!  I want to be able to be around for her, and be an active mom for her!
~*~Denise~*~
tochatty
on 4/28/09 1:21 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
I'm glad you asked the question because I am in fact researching about all the various types of weight loss surgeries out there.  10 years ago the only ones I was familiar with was GBS and the band.. LOL boy things have changed since.

I have seen two doctors and have had two vary different options given to me but would like to know more about the ERNY from anyone out there.

I had Open RNY proximal in July 2000, my highest weight was 336 lbs and I got down to 185, and since have put on 70 lbs and now back at 255.  EEK. I'm still glad I am not where I was but I sure dont want to get there either.

Again feel free to PM me anyone out there with your thoughts and knowledge. :)

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

Most Active