ERNY updates

LosingSally
on 4/22/09 1:41 pm
So how is everyone doing? I'm holding with an up and down 2-3 pounds. I lose it and then regain it. This puts me on lower carbs every other week. I guess it's ok, but I wish I could really just forget it and never think about my weight again.
I don't think it's going to happen! In fact my always thin sister informed me that she always has to think about it, and make reasonable choices, so why do I think it will be different for me?
I have also noticed that when she got over 50, she had to watch what she eats even more. I think we do gain as we age, I looked at average weights for women and it's somewhat higher for those who are over 50, than it is for those under 40, for example. It may be natural to gain with age, but I refuse to give in.
So how is everyone's weight loss going? For the revisions, are you feeling good and losing?
I'm over 3 1/2 years out so maintaining is my goal. I am waiting on some labs, to make sure I'm taking enough D and calcium. My iron is great so I'm relieved on that point. My B12 is also good.
So Sound off!
beth brown
on 4/22/09 1:50 pm - Marshall, MO
I was wondering if you had a revision surgery ? I am thinking about it and I havent seen much info on them. I had a lap RNY in May of 04 and I have had 2 kids sence then and just cant seem to get back on track...anyway thanks , Beth
StacysMom
on 4/22/09 5:11 pm
 Beth, I answered your question on your other post here.   I put up articles which describe the different revision options and the pros and cons of each type.   Here is the link:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3914984/Revised-on-20-April-Outta-surgery-doing-well/#31537415

LosingSally was an original distal, she is not a revision.   Her common channel is significantly longer than most of the ERNY revision people who post on here (most of them were made 75 cm).  

You also cannot compare someone who was originally made distal with someone who was made distal during a revision to a proximal RNY.  

After the proximal RNY, a person's intestines become more adept in absorbing nutrients and calories from the foods they eat.   This affects the "strength" of any revision a person has.  The body adapts over time to the surgical malabsorption and any additional alterations don't have as strong as an effect as they would have had in an original surgery.  

An original distal has a weight loss result more similar to a DS than a revision ERNY, unless the original proximal RNY barely bypassed any intestine to begin with (which some people have discovered after they were opened up for revision).

As I said in the other message to you.   Please do your research and get the surgery that you feel would work best for YOU.   Some people have had to travel to get their surgical choice as not all options are available in all areas.  

Good luck to you, whichever option you go with!
LosingSally
on 4/24/09 12:26 pm
I had a true Distal RNY with a common channel of only 200cm, which is more like DS, with the RNY pouch.
JRinAZ
on 4/23/09 2:24 am - Layton, UT

Hi there Losing Sally!
Congrats on your balancing of carbs/weight!  I'm educating myself daily on what "my" body needs and can handle without a weight gain.

I am into my 5th week gluten free and am feeling like a normal person!!!!  The restrictions are a very small price to pay for my new energy and lack of bloating!

I'll update later when I have more time but just wanted to toss out a hello to all and to let everyone kinow that I am holding steady AT GOQL!

Joyce in AZ
Prox Rny 2/11/03
Revision to ERny 12/26/07
5'4" at goal = 114

Creole Momma
on 4/27/09 6:56 am - Hutto, TX

Hello Joyce in AZ,

What caught my attention about your post was "lack of bloating!".  I am having a terrible time with bloating especially in the evening.  This just started within the last year or less.  I have not been able to figure it out.  So with you it was gluten?  What is gluten?

Help please!!

Denise

JRinAZ
on 4/27/09 7:35 am - Layton, UT
On April 27, 2009 at 1:56 PM Pacific Time, Creole Momma wrote:

Hello Joyce in AZ,

What caught my attention about your post was "lack of bloating!".  I am having a terrible time with bloating especially in the evening.  This just started within the last year or less.  I have not been able to figure it out.  So with you it was gluten?  What is gluten?

Help please!!

Denise

Hiya Denise!
Soooo I was looking for a smileygram that showed a big ol 9 month prego lady.....couldn't find one!  LOL !  But.... that would have been me a year ago!  The "inflation" would kick in sometime in the afaternoon and then by evening I couldn't button my size 2's and had to go find the "stretchy" pants!!!!  Yikes!  You can imagine the afterburner that went on from late evening til morning as all that gas had to escape!  TMI, right?

Well, for me, it turns out that I may have been genetically a celiac my entire life (have the symptomatic profile) but this major trigger (aka Revision surgery) kicked it into full gear.  Going gluten free was almost like a miracle within 3 days!  I'm into my 6th week gluten free and can plan on wearing the same pair of pants all day long now and I can be around people in the evening without carrying scented candles and aerosol deodorizers!

Another friend (also eRNY) is following my lead and has voluntarily gone gluten free.  she's had some positive changes as well.

Gluten free= going without any grains or products containing dirivitives of grains.  You can check out www.celiac.com to get more information.

When Gas X doesn't even dent the pain and bloating then you may want the opinion of a good DS surgeon, eRNY surgeon or gastrointinologist.

Good luck!

Joyce in AZ
Revision to eRNY 12/26/07
at Goal
mew6495
on 4/23/09 9:30 am - MI
 Hey LoosingSally -GREAT JOB 3 1/2 years maintaining!

I am doing great with my revision ERNY!  Lost all the weight I wanted and find I can easily maintain or loose a bit more just by simple food choices I make.  I have tons more energy, feel better then ever.  I need to get in for my next set of labs to see where my vit levels are.  My protein is no longer at the below normal range and I sure can tell the difference in how I feel. 

My biggest hurdle is I am a night eater, a bad habit I continuously work on changing.  Just get so busy during the day at work I often just don't take the time to eat!  

I am with you friend....seems I always think about it but perhaps this is part of the programming from so many years of the weight roller coaster!  

Love your determination!  Keep on.....keeping us motivated!  Hopefully in 3 1/2 years I can be relaying the success you are now!   

shele
on 4/24/09 6:13 am, edited 4/24/09 7:38 am

Hey,

I had surgery on the 23rd of March. I am mytrouble with my incision healing up. I have had it open up twice which led the doc to open it a little further and let it drain. I now have a 2.5 inch deep by 1 inch long place I am packing everyday. Taking keflex 2000mg day for the infection.

Other than that I am feeling ok, just ready to feel all better NOW! I have lost 15 pounds.  I get all my vitamins and fluids in and most of the protein.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

JROLFSON
on 4/24/09 6:24 am - St. George, UT
Hi Shele:

It's good to see your post. I was just going to PM you because I haven't seen you post for a week or so or maybe I missed you. But anyway, I'm glad your doing better. Those nasty wounds are stubborn sometimes, I hope they got you moving forward now.

Your weight loss is coming right a long that's just great. I'll be with you here soon.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

JRolfson
Most Active