NG Tube after RNY revision?

FlowerDogsMom
on 4/21/09 6:05 am - Beloit, WI
Hi all.... I'm considering a revision to an RNY that was done in 2001. I've had problems the entire time but was really afraid to have further sugery - and possibly a bigger mess. Anyway, I finally met with a surgeon I believe I can trust/count on... but one of the things I was told by his staff is that I would likely have an NG tube for a least a month post surgery... I'm having trouble with this thought... Has anyone else been told this or had the tube post surgery? How did it go? Thanks,
FlowerDogsMom
carvelo
on 4/21/09 8:10 am
I just had my revision yesterday and I did not have one of those.  I do have to have a drain until next week thugh.  Not too bigof a deal. I hope u dont have to have an NG tube for so long.  Wonder why?
rebeccaford
on 4/21/09 11:01 am - Honolulu, HI
In 2003 when I had my VBG, I had an NG tube.  I actually didn't mind it at all.  It never bothered me.  It was taken out maybe 2 days post-op.  A month?  Wow...seems like a long time. 
lalala2
on 4/22/09 12:05 pm - Winnetka, CA
I had RNY revision surgery (open not laproscopic) on 4/8/09.  There was no tube or drain.  Since I've been home from the hospital I have had leakage from the bottom of my incision.  At my 1st post op appt the doctor said it was normal, but if there was a tube or drain I don't think I would have the problem.  Other than that I am recovering quite well from surgery. 

lalala2
JROLFSON
on 4/23/09 12:04 am - St. George, UT
Hi LaLaLa2:

I was wondering what form of revision you received and how are you doing? Did the Dr. actually do something to revise your pouch or did he give you an ERNY?

I have ERNY scheduled on May 20th and am anxious to hear the results from anyone and everyone I can on their progress as I am soon to be their to.

Thanks,

JRoflson
lalala2
on 4/23/09 6:59 am - Winnetka, CA
I had an RNY Revision.  Doctor revised my pouch/stoma, new intestine hook up, and repaired my hiatal hernial.  It was not an ERNY.  It was an open procedure and the recovery is a bit more difficult than I had anticipated, but I am doing well.  Feel free to PM me with any further questions.  I'd love to learn how your journey is progressing also. 
mew6495
on 4/23/09 9:37 am - MI
On April 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM Pacific Time, FlowerDogsMom wrote:
Hi all.... I'm considering a revision to an RNY that was done in 2001. I've had problems the entire time but was really afraid to have further sugery - and possibly a bigger mess. Anyway, I finally met with a surgeon I believe I can trust/count on... but one of the things I was told by his staff is that I would likely have an NG tube for a least a month post surgery... I'm having trouble with this thought... Has anyone else been told this or had the tube post surgery? How did it go? Thanks,
FlowerDogsMom
 Hi FlowerDogsMom,

I had my original RNY in 2001 and had an NG tube for 3 days post op while I was in the hospital.  Are you sure your Doc said a month?  I agree with the others... seems like an awful long time for an NG tube.  Perhaps he meant to say a drain???  I did not have any problems with my NG tube.  My throat was a bit sore but that was it.

After my revision this past Oct to ERNY I did not have any tubes what-so-ever.  Probably because they did not mess with my pouch.  I think the NG tube is used when your stomach/pouch is worked on.  But may be for other reasons as well.  I would re-check with your doctor.

Good Luck!

Most Active