Doctor husted is this revision sugery!

mskay
on 4/18/09 7:51 am, edited 4/19/09 2:55 pm - chicago, IL
i finally seen the surgeon that everybody is bragging about here in illinois that has the most rewards on his wall for bariactric surgery. i did my upper gi and i have a sliding hernia thats below my pouch which cause my food to pass through very easy. so he suggested he can go in remove the hernia fix what causes my food to pass through quicker for $15,000 wow! he's out of network so even if i have insurance and it covers the operation he wants me to get finance for the surgery through care credit. because the insurance company wont send him the check they will send it to me and i can pay care credit back when i get the insurance check. what makes this doctor think in this economy i will get a loan for that amount. i dont think fixing what have come loose and removing a hernia is a revision. i'm 215lbs he mention to me that i will lose  50-70 pounds in the next year. will i tell people it was a revision or did i just get fixed because of the hernia.i'm confuse is it a revision because i will lose weight or because he will fix my old connection and remove the hernia. 
mew6495
on 4/19/09 1:46 am - MI
 Some surgeons consider that anytime they make a modification to any part of your original wls that it is then considered a revision.

Have you discussed your concerns and wants with him?  I might also suggest getting another opinion or two to be sure you are only doing this one time and doing the best thing for you.

Good Luck.

PekinSal
on 4/19/09 6:30 am - UK
It all sounds a bit quick to me too - I'd want to know what all the options were while he was in there rearranging your insides, and what chance of success you would have later.

That much money for a hernia repair alone sounds a lot too - even if that is the only thing that can be done it might be worth shopping round and seeing what other surgeons charge, since it will be you that pays for it.

Have a look for revision surgeons near you - duodenalswitch.com has ones that I imagine do all kinds of revision like mine does.

You might want to think back too - did the restriction of the band ever work for you? If you had it functioning properly would that be enough? If not, you might need a different surgery.

DS revision from failed lapband

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/09 12:07 pm - AZ
On April 18, 2009 at 2:51 PM Pacific Time, mskay wrote:
i finally seen the surgeon that everybody is bragging about here in illinois that has the most rewards on his wall for bariactric surgery. i did my upper gi and i have a sliding hernia thats below my pouch which cause my food to pass through very easy. so he suggested he can go in remove the hernia fix what causes my food to pass through quicker for $15,000 he's out of network so even if i had insurance he wants me to get finance for the surgery through care credit because insurance company wont send him the check they will send it to me and i can pay care credit back when i get the insurance check. what makes this doctor think in this economy i will get a loan for that amount. i dont think fixing what have come loose and removing a hernia is a revision.maybe i can be wrong someone can explain this to me better and i think this is expensive after all it's no guarantee i will lose a pound after this.

That sounds crazy to me.  I'd wait for Dr. Husted and get his attention by editing your opening post, adding his name to the title, and seeing what he says.

Most Active