Problems w/ Band.....So Now What???

ggirl2007
on 4/19/09 3:44 am - Dallas, TX
I have had the lapband for approx 21 months and last Thursday it was discovered that I have a distended/dilated esophagus. I have lost a total of 126 lbs and I only want to lose 10 more lbs at the most. The doc unfilled the band and told me to see him again in a month. I honestly want this band removed to prevent any longterm damage. I think that I could maintain my current weight without a revision to another surgery or am I kidding myself? I have UHC insurance and I doubt if I could be approved for a revision to any other other surgery at 170 lbs. My ideal weight for my height is around 145 or 150 but as I said just to get into the 160s is fine with me. Just confused as to what I should do at this point.

Nothing taste as good as thin feels......
Start/Current/Goal Weight.......296/171/165

PekinSal
on 4/19/09 6:35 am - UK
You might want to post this on the lapband board if you haven't already.

I've heard of other people having oesophagus problems (mine were lower down) but these resolved themselves in some people after only having the band loosened for a while. Perhaps when it is refilled the problem might come back, but by then you could be at goal.

It doesnt seem likely that you would qualify for revision currently, because even if they took the band out it would take you a while to get back to a high enough BMI to justify surgery. That might have to be something you keep in mind for the future - many people on here have had a second surgery, and the choice would be sleeve, RNY or DS.

DS revision from failed lapband

pepsi98
on 4/19/09 7:39 am - Norwich, CT
On April 19, 2009 at 10:44 AM Pacific Time, ggirl2007 wrote:
I have had the lapband for approx 21 months and last Thursday it was discovered that I have a distended/dilated esophagus. I have lost a total of 126 lbs and I only want to lose 10 more lbs at the most. The doc unfilled the band and told me to see him again in a month. I honestly want this band removed to prevent any longterm damage. I think that I could maintain my current weight without a revision to another surgery or am I kidding myself? I have UHC insurance and I doubt if I could be approved for a revision to any other other surgery at 170 lbs. My ideal weight for my height is around 145 or 150 but as I said just to get into the 160s is fine with me. Just confused as to what I should do at this point.
What symptoms did you have for the dilated esophagus??
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

ggirl2007
on 4/20/09 12:50 am - Dallas, TX
The band just seemed very tight all of a sudden, it was really hard to get small amounts of food down, and I would wake up at night with reflux and would throw up liquids or whatever I had for dinner (which I ate no later than 3 hours before bedtime). Or I would wake up in the morning and the 1st thing I would do is throw up remnants that did I did not digest. According to a veteran bandster the food I was eating sat in my esophagus too long trying to get thru the band which caused it to stretch. Thanks.

Nothing taste as good as thin feels......
Start/Current/Goal Weight.......296/171/165

mew6495
on 4/19/09 8:41 am - MI
 Some insurance companies will cover a revision if there are medical reasons involved.  It sounds to me like you have the medical reasons.  You would have to check with your insurance to determine what their policies are.

I was under the 35 BMI and my revision was covered by my insurance.  

If you have made the changes in your eating behaviors and your mind...there should be no reason why you could not maintain.  Any wls is meant to be a "tool" to help us get the weight off, hopefully in conjunction while helping us with our behaviors.  

Good Luck.

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/09 12:04 pm - AZ

I think you are kidding yourself about maintaining on your own.  With restriction we come to terms with small food amounts and move on.  Without restriction... different story.  Studies show that 3-5% of people who lose their surgery type for whatever reason maintain their weight.

I didn't have esophageal dilation but just about everything else.  I do have esophageal damage from the band.  I revised to a sleeve with a 20.8BMI.

Debba
on 4/19/09 11:16 pm - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with

I have had my lapband for 30 months (Oct 2006).  For the last 6-8 months I've had terrible reflux issues (I'll spare you the gory details) due to a tiny hiatal hernia that went undetected when the band was put in.  Sounds like our numbers are very similar in that I, too, currently weigh 170 lbs (I lost 70 lbs, but gained back 10 or so because my band has been empty for months) and my ideal weight for my height is 140-150.  My surgeon wrote a letter to my insurance company to repair the hernia and do a revision.  It was approved and my surgery is set for May 19th to have the band removed, the hernia repaired, and revision to RNY.  Don't assume your insurance won't cover it.  If your surgeon makes a strong case you have a great shot at approval.  I knew I would be kidding myself without some sort of revision - I gained back 10 lbs. just because my band was empty!  Think it through, do your research, and make a sound decision for yourself.

Good Luck,

Debbie 

CoriMcQ
on 4/20/09 1:18 pm

Debba,

Our stories sound nearly identical.  I have had AWFUL reflux issues and have been hospitalized 3x's in the last 18 months due to aspiration pneumonia as well as erosion's and ulcers of the esophagus.

I am in the process of revising to RNY.  My doctor wrote a letter to my insurance, including the Upper GI results as well as the EGD and Esophageal Manometry Study results.  I got the call today that my insurance needs more clinical evidence.  My doctor is scheduling a peer to peer review with my insurance company to provide additional information.  If all goes well, I will have lap band removal, hernia repair and revision to RNY on May 11th.

Good luck with your surgery!!  Hopefully the reflux issues will be resolved for you!

Debba
on 4/21/09 12:23 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
Boy - it sure does sound like we have the same issues. I regurgitate every night between 3-4 in the morning.  Doesn't matter when I ate last - it could be 3 hours before bedtime or 1 hour.  I haven't gotten pneumonia yet, but that was a huge concern of my surgeon's.  I'm so lucky to have such a great surgeon who truly cares.  I won't know how to act without reflux!!!

Good luck to you also - I hope things go well and you get your approval soon.

Deb

babsintx
on 4/20/09 8:40 am - GA
Hi,

In the nicest way possible: Get the revision. I had similar problems for 5 years with my pouch and esophageal dilation. I started regaining at year three due to chronic issues with swallowing and achalasia of esophagus. My insurance paid for everything and I revised to the sleeve.

Babs

Most Active