RNY revised to RNY??

amkhopki
on 4/16/09 5:50 am

I have posted a couple of times about ulcer's causing my need for revision surgery, I guess this is a very rare reason from what I have heard and the feedback on this site.

My insurance made a very interesting statement.  They will cover 75% of the cost of a revision that "they" deem medically necessary.  But they will  only do another RNY?

Silly question, but is that even possible?

~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/16/09 1:30 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Short answer... yes. :)    It just means that your RNY will be made more distal.  (more bypassed)

It's great that they want to pay so much of the costs... but please, please, please find a VERY experienced revision surgeon.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Monique H.
on 4/17/09 1:04 am
I don't know your story, but if you have a lot more weight to lose please make sure you know how much they are going to bypass on you. The more they bypass the better chance you have of taking the weight off, but it can cause you to have other issues too. I was bypassed to a distal and I don't feel they bypassed enough and don't have any of the issues that people talk about.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
PekinSal
on 4/17/09 6:39 am - UK
Have you thought about DS at all? I only ask because in DS they remove 90% of your stomach tissue and throw it away (good riddance) so you have less stomach left to get ulcers! 

Having a sleeve stomach rather than a pouch means you don't have any blind stomach they can't scope, and you can take NSAIDs as well. This might make it more of a 'medical necessity' than just improving the surgery you already have so they might pay for it (worth a try!)

DS revision from failed lapband

mew6495
on 4/17/09 12:32 pm - MI
 With your situation it may just mean they are going to redo your pouch, your intestinal hook up or just one or the other....  Just stating RNY revision is pretty vague.

Talk to your surgeon, find out what his intentions are and exactly what he plans.  Make sure you plan as well and get what you want.  Have you checked out all of your options?  Like Sal mentioned, there are alternatives.  I would suggest doing some research so that you can better steer the path you want your revision to go down.  You do have choices.

Good Luck.

pokerchips
on 4/19/09 7:20 am
You said the ulcers are the "reason" for the revision surgery.  therefore if the ulcers are in your pouch the doctor will redesign your pouch....this does not mean that you will be more distal.  the only reason to make you more distal if the ulcer is in that area and he wants to bypass it or if he is doing the revision for you to lose additional weight.

Like an earlier poster said please go to an experienced revision surgeon.....if a "revision" is actually what the surgeon is referring to.   Good luck 

Change is a Process Not an Event

Most Active