Support groups generally

PekinSal
on 4/15/09 8:06 am - UK
Post below talks about a support group but I wondered if anyone went to or runs a support group for revisioners?

I wouldnt have gone to a lapband support group because it and I were useless together, and if your surgery isn't working you don't really want to spend time with people who are being successful...

Just wondered if anyone had thought of setting one up for those of us who have gone through the feelings of failure, disappointment and guilt and come out the other side, and if you would go (its a bit far for me!)

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

brandyII
on 4/15/09 12:42 pm
Pekinsal,

I'm assuming you mean an actual group that meets not an on line type group??  I think once you've revised or going to revise like I am, knock on wood, you're kind of in limbo not quite in one group and not quite the other and it's a whole nother ball game.  Is that kind of what you mean?
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

JRinAZ
on 4/15/09 1:09 pm - Layton, UT
On April 15, 2009 at 3:06 PM Pacific Time, PekinSal wrote:
Post below talks about a support group but I wondered if anyone went to or runs a support group for revisioners?

I wouldnt have gone to a lapband support group because it and I were useless together, and if your surgery isn't working you don't really want to spend time with people who are being successful...

Just wondered if anyone had thought of setting one up for those of us who have gone through the feelings of failure, disappointment and guilt and come out the other side, and if you would go (its a bit far for me!)

Sal
Hiya Sal!
I was asked to facilitate a monthly Revision support group recently.  EVERYONE will be welcome.  We've just gathered once so far and that was for an informal brunch to kind of discuss what we want to discuss at the mtgs!  LOL !

I facilitate 2 other groups as well.  One is a traditional group and the other is a Graduates group.  It's interesting that newbies in the traditional groups resent me.  I represent failure.  The grads get hope from me since those who have some regain think of me as a "back-up" plan if needed someday.  I do encourage all though to get back on track with low carbing and exercise.  Within the Revision bunch is still some disappointment as some have some post-op issues and some haven't lost the weight even the 2nd time around that they had dreamed of.

I personally learn something at EVERY group mtg I go to and love giving it back in some way when I can.

Wish you were in AZ so you could hang with our Revision group!  .....  I LOVE your posts and how you manage to stay out of stuff; while giving sound advice and information.

As for me feeling like a failure.  Rough road!  I've been working in the biz for several years and so was expected to be the poster girl.  I've learned that tools are as effective as those who manipulate them and we have to own our choices without guilt but certainly with some level of responsibility.  I know that a piece of bread by itself is not a bad option for some people....but for me, it's poison for my system.  The learning curve is unique for each of us and claiming success with weight loss seems to be safest when one's personal journey has mastered the power of the brain!

I'm babbling !  LOL!  The short version to your question.....YES!!!!  Support is a HUGE bridge to success and can make the diffference in not only our guilt but in our glory!  We all need kudos!

Joyce in AZ
mew6495
on 4/15/09 1:40 pm - MI
Hey Joyce, nice to CYA back on the boards.

Finding a revision support group is tough to say the least.  At least it is here in MI.  I wish there were more around.  When I go to a "regular" support group (even them seem a little scarce in my area) I tend to keep my revision quiet.  All they know is I had a WLS surgery.

Any suggestions on how to go about searching out if there are more support groups in a certain area that I may just be unaware of? 

JRinAZ
on 4/15/09 2:24 pm - Layton, UT
On April 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
Hey Joyce, nice to CYA back on the boards.

Finding a revision support group is tough to say the least.  At least it is here in MI.  I wish there were more around.  When I go to a "regular" support group (even them seem a little scarce in my area) I tend to keep my revision quiet.  All they know is I had a WLS surgery.

Any suggestions on how to go about searching out if there are more support groups in a certain area that I may just be unaware of? 
Sure!
Give a shout out on your state forum for support group options.  In fact, you might consider organizing one yourself?  Maybe post here and on your state forum for interest and then plan a casual Sat morning brunch quarterly or something with a yahoo group to post on-line chatter?

Or.....take that 4 day trip back here once in a while and we'll talk you to death!!!  LOL!

Huggggzzzz,
Joyce
PekinSal
on 4/16/09 2:10 am - UK
Hi Joyce

I'm pleased you're running a group, it seems that thinking about revision is probably when you need the most support rather than the least!

The message on here certainly should be that just because surgery hasn't worked for you it isn't necessarily your fault - we hope this will be a magic wand, but no surgery (for anything) comes with a guarantee after all. If you've done all you're supposed to do and it still isn't working then perhaps something is wrong...

I've always wanted to visit the US, and if we ever make it I would be honoured to come to your group - there are such a lot of nice people on OH. We could sit and ignore the bread together - gives me the farts and isn't worth the pain either!

Sal

brandyII
on 4/16/09 5:39 am
Pekinsal,

I find it nice here that people like you are very supportive even if you choose to revise to a different surgery you don't push yours on people like a lot do.  For every surgery there are people that do well and other that won't and probaby should have had a different one.  The hardest part if figuring out which surgery is the best for that individual.   Even if you don't start a group where you live I think you provide a real support system here at OH!

PekinSal
on 4/16/09 8:10 am - UK
Aww thanks Brandy! I mean I like the DS so far but having thought the band was the answer to my prayers I don't feel like I'm in a position to preach to anyone!

If it gets me to goal and I'm still there in ten years I'll consider it a success. Until then the jury is out on mine and all of these surgeries and the pressure should remain on the medical experts to come up with answers that don't involve scalpels...

brandyII
on 4/16/09 8:24 am
PekinSal,

Well for me and I'm sure a lot of people it takes a lot of courage to even start the process of revision surgery once the first one goes bad or never did well in the first place and possibly may need a bit more support and it's hard to find in surgery forums, sometimes, and I find I get the most support right here with revisions, thanks again!

Most Active