The doc says that I need a revision ....

woolstitcher
on 4/14/09 6:04 pm - OH

Yesterday I went in for the scope test, it wasn't as bad as I thought. 
Anyway, yesterday, the doc said that I need a revision.  I guess now I'm waiting to see what my INS says.  Cigna.
I know there are other ppl where my DH works who have had some sort of WLS and it was covered by ins.  but I have no idea about revisions.

Anyone know how Cigna responds?  How long did it take?

btw, the problem w/ my surgery is that the exit from my stomach is too large, so no food is left in my stomach while I'm eating.  Not only can I eat a full meal, I can eat MORE than I could before surgery.  (surgery about 15 yrs ago)

Right now, I don't know what kind of revision is being planned.  We have to have another appointment for that.

PekinSal
on 4/15/09 8:02 am - UK
Well that's good news in a way - at least you know now what is causing your problems, and that it isn't your fault! 

I hope your doc can come up with some good options for you, and that Cigna will pay all the bills...

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

woolstitcher
on 4/15/09 8:43 am - OH
Thanks, I'm still unclear if it is my fault or not ... is it from over eating, did it just happen, was the problem there to start with?  I don't know.  And, really, at this point it only matters so that I make sure that it doesn't happen again.  Not so much as a blame game.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/15/09 8:06 am
You should look at all the surgery types, and decide what would work best for your revision. Many of us learned the hard way that insurance and even our doctors and surgeons made their choices based on $$, not our best interest.
There are many on the DS board, who were revised from other surgeries, and a few very knowledgeable about insurance, who are great about answering questions.
woolstitcher
on 4/15/09 8:44 am - OH
thanks, the DS board?  which one is that ... I'm pretty new to all of this.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/15/09 8:51 am
I'm also going to comment on your remark above, as I don't think it's your fault. Too many people have the same failure, and seem perplexed when they have followed the rules. It's not a perfect surgery, as there's no such thing, but you may fare better with some more-so than others. The DS has the best stats on losing the weight, maintaining that loss, and resolution of co-morbidity's. If you want to talk to some who have revised to DS, try the DS board.
Linda F.
on 4/16/09 12:18 pm - Tampa, FL
Your situation sounds very similar to mine.  I had RNY in '97 and have gained almost all of my weight back - the new surgeon gave me the same "explanation" of the length going away from my stomach was made too long.  Evidently they have tweeked the surgery since '97 with better results.  I go in for my EGD scope next Thursday (4/23) and from there we will apply to Cigna for a revision.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  And hopefully they will approve my revision too!  :-)
Most Active