Open revision surgery vs laprascopic revision surgery

Rhonda S.
on 4/19/09 7:02 am - Bensalem, PA

Well my surgeon said he would try to do it laposcopically but the "x" factor was adheshions from the prior surgery [ I had a stomach stapling in 1987].  and if the adhesions were bad then the lap would have to turn into an open.  My honest thought on the subject is:  i trust you doc  - you have a lot of experience and I want you to do what you feel most comfortable doing in revising me.

You and I have the same mechanical failure issue plus I had mesh embedded in my stomach from the band...well, I woke up after surgery and saw I ended up with an open thats how I knew it didn't happen lap.   It wasnt any big deal to me.  I already had the scar - and actually this one healed up better than the other   Actually, open surgery  doesn't take as long to perform as lap...less time under anesthesia.

I am  six weeks out.  I was in the hospital for 2 days.  I took about 3.5 weeks off from work.  I took pain meds almost 2 weeks and then I realized I didn't need them any more. and I wanted to be able to drive. I never had lap surgery so I can't compare but the gas pains hurt more than anything else and those took about a week to calm down.  [well, to be fair  the morphine pump day one  and two took care of the incision pain and all I had was tylenol w/ codiene after that.

.  I lost a little sleep at first until I felt comfortable laying down  flat - now that took close to 3 weeks - I  spent a fair amount of time in our barco lounger at first. 

I have no pain now but for some soreness if I really overdo it or try to pick up something too heavy.  I'm blessed - no complications to date and 30 pounds down. 

Rhonda

SusanSp
on 4/19/09 8:03 am - Phelps, NY
Thank you for your reply.   I still think that my surgeon will end up having to do an open surgery.  I had my gallbladder out in January this year and the surgeon said he was glad he had to go in on the right side.  He said my left side was a mess and that he never would have been able to get in through the left side laproscopically.  My WLS is supposed to be an expert in lapro surgery and is therefore pretty sure he can do it that way.  I guess time will tell.  My surgery is May 5th.  I just can't wait to have this all behind me.

Susan
Janice D.
on 4/19/09 8:55 am - Roanoke Rapids, NC
Hi - I had gastric bypass in 1985 - open.  When I had my revision Sept, 2008, my doctor was very upfront and told me it would be open.  I had had heart surgery in 2007 (diagnosed when I was going through the preliminary exams for bypass) and the old scar from 1985.  My brillant doctor (Dr. MacDonald) opened me at the same spot as my original surgery and removed my gall bladder at the same time.  He knew there was likely a lot of scar tissue (which there was) and that it would be necessary to open me up to achieve the optimal results.  I healed fairly quickly and have no regrets.  I understand that the mesh can also make it 
adventageous to have an open surgery.  Good Luck.  Janice
SusanSp
on 4/19/09 11:03 am - Phelps, NY
Thank you for your response.

Susan
carvelo
on 4/19/09 12:03 pm
Hi Susan,

I am having a revision in the morning.  I had an open RNY in 2002.  The revision will be laproscopic.  My surgeon also said he might have to re open my old scar if needed.  I will expect the worst, LOL .  I will be praying for u :-)

Carmen
SusanSp
on 4/20/09 12:23 am - Phelps, NY
Good luck Carmen,

You will be in my prayers.  Please let me know how it goes.

Susan
carvelo
on 4/21/09 2:58 am
Well, the first night was terrible with the gas they bloat u uo with.  Today is much better and I think I get to go home tommorow! They did not have to open me back up.  I have 5 lap holes.

Hope all is goin well for u too.

Carmen
SusanSp
on 4/21/09 3:43 am - Phelps, NY
Glad to hear you are doing well.  Every day it will get a little better.  Hang in there!

Susan
Most Active