Has anyone done a REVISION from the BAND to DS?

Tonya D.
on 4/14/09 3:20 pm - Aurora, MO
Hi everyone!  Has anybody out here in WLS Land had a revision from Lap Band to DS?  I haven't been very successful at all w/my Band, and feel that I need something "more".
I'd also like to get some more general input from all of you that have had the DS.  What was the experience like in general, how successful have you been, etc?

Thanks in advance!

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/09 10:23 pm - Brampton, Canada
You may wish to post on the DS forum too, there are several *****vised from the band to DS and seem happy.
PekinSal
on 4/15/09 7:59 am - UK
Aye, theres a bunch of us on the DS board who would say hi to you.

Sadly there's ex-bandsters on all the other boards as well so you don't have to feel lonely!

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/15/09 7:59 am
I agree that you may want to ask this on the DS board. There are many there who have revised from other surgeries, including the band.

My surgery was a virgin DS, but I couldn't be happier. I've lost 135 pounds in the last 14 months, and have had resolution of all my co-morbidity's, and gained my life back.
dawn_from_mn
on 5/1/09 5:01 am - St. James, MN
A year ago I had a revision from the band to DS.  it has been a very good decision for me.  I had many many problems with my band and needed to have it removed.  I am down 85lbs and very happy with my DS.
Rockne
on 5/2/09 6:57 am - South Orange County, CA
Ferret out whatever information you might find valuable here, but just postd to gal with a similar dilemma.

It reads as follows and addressed her move from the band to an RNY.

______
Your post here really saddens me greatly. Sheesh, girl, please don’t be so dismissive of possible and likely options before you. I GET THE DESPERATION for a fix. It's bad enough we all fail with dieting all are lives only to seek a surgical remedy to have that fail, too. What appeals process might be available to you within the confines of your insurance policy and/ or through the state via oversight in regards to external appeals? 

Your post below alludes to a number of bandsters you know personally, who, like you- are struggling and you state they all are still quite overweight. The very best (ultraconservative peer reviewed studies) puts the band at a 25% failure rate defined as losing less than 50% of your excess body weight. Yeah, you read that right- Losing a mere 50% or more of your excess body weight is the DEFINED STANDARD AS A WLS SUCCESS STORY. Well, not in my playbook, deary! And I would argue those same (ultraconservative peer reviewed studies) putting the RNY failure rate at 20 % doesn’t fair much better. Fully one in five having the RNY out long-term  will fail to achieve the diminimus of losing ONLY HALF THEIR EXCESS BODY WEIGHT. Truly  HONEST practicing RNY surgeons and their staff privately tell me fully a 3rd of their patients fail to meet the 50% test out longer-term to rate a success. And said RNY procedure DEMANDS you diet for life. Yes, DIET FOR LIFE limiting your carb and fat intake.

So, I ask you Ca-girl, how has DIETING worked out for "you" to date?

But, hey- don't take my word for it. Ever been to an OH convention or just a RNY support group??? Look at the long-termers attending in lager sample groups. Nearly all the ones I have come across are still quite OBESE.

Back to my point at hand. I had the DS to kiss the DIETING concept sayonara forever. I eat normally, albeit, smaller meals without any fear of anything but expected marginal regain. 5 to 7 lbs., Indeed, it's still hard for me to believe life can be this easy. A big Mac and fries are hardly off limits, nor, are rich deserts within reason now and then, but frankly, I'm still easily satiated with any of my choices. And therein lies my REAL POINT. Choices and a full universe of foods are not OFF limits for me anymore. Dumping as a control too should you are so blessed is simply medieval in my opinion.

Clearly your a light-weight now by virtue of your posted BMI and maybe a VSG might well be appropriate. But the private -not yet published small sample stats on this procedure out longer term ( what little we see still at this EARLY date) are not boding as well as I would hope, but at least with this procedure a conversion to a DS by an experienced DS surgeon is much more easily doable baring some unusual sequella you might present with. RNY to DS revisions, however, are vastly  MORE complex and FAR riskier.

Your at a precipice here.

Understandable desperation aside to run to a fix, any fix afforded you easily; this is ultimately YOUR decision and should be a well considered and a thoughtful one. You sure don't want to be in the same place 4 or 5 years out asking in the SAME sort of desperation for yett ANOTHER surgical alternative.

As my DS compadres and renegades like to say...

"Think twice and cut once!" 

Rock
Most Active