Long drive after open revision

Connib
on 4/14/09 1:57 am - Vernon , Canada
Hi all, need some advise. I am having an open revision in Seattle April 30th, I live in Vernon BC about 7 hours from Seattle. Has anyone done a drive that long the day of being disharged.
If so what made it easier or comfortable for you.
Thank you'
Conni
Rhonda S.
on 4/14/09 2:56 am - Bensalem, PA
Hi,

Congratulations on your revision!  I didn't have such a long ride - but my understanding is that you will have to stop every hour or two and get up and walk around to lessen the danger of blood clots - also I understand bringing a pillow to hold against your belly is helpful too

Good luck,

Rhonda
Monique H.
on 4/14/09 3:19 am

All I can say is make sure they give you pain meds right before you leave, and if possible have your prescription filled before you leave as well. I felt every little bump on my way home and the ride was only 2 hours. Also if they don't give you the little bear to hold against your stomach definitely make sure you have a pillow. Make sure you have water with you to sip on and some type of container just in case nausea kicks up.

Congrats on the surgery!!

WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Connib
on 4/14/09 5:45 am - Vernon , Canada
Thank you
I am counting the days and just making sure I remember everything I need. I have a list and a open suitcase so I don't forget anything. I will make sure I get the pain meds and most likely a blood thinner, as well make stops every hour. I have a hard time sitting now for long periods of time so stopping will be nothing new. Just a little longer drive for hubby.
Thanks
Conni
Deanne K.
on 4/14/09 7:41 am - Tucson, AZ
Conni,
Is there any chance you can stay in the area of your surgery for a few days afterwards?  I only live 2 hours away and stayed close to the surgeon for 7 days before I went go home, he didn't want me to until everything look pristine and wonderful and I was feeling good after my 1 week post-op appointment.  Best of luck to you.  Take a small pillow for under the seat belt, it will be the best thing you can do for yourself.
Deanne
Connib
on 4/14/09 7:54 am - Vernon , Canada
Deanne,
Yes, we can stay as long as needed and what ever is best. I will talk to my surgeon on the 29th and see what he thinks is best. I don't have a post op checkup till 2 weeks after discharge so we kinda hoped to go home for a few days in between, but I will definatley go with whatever the surgeon says and how I feel. Its more inportant to feel good than get home.
Thank you
Conni
mew6495
on 4/15/09 1:21 pm - MI

Congradulations on your surgery date!

I traveled for my revision and I was 3 to 4 days away from home.  My surgeon required that I stay in the area for 7 to 10 days after for the follow visit if I drove and up to 3 week if I chose to fly.  I  chose to drive.

1. I had to stop and walk every 2 hours.
2. I made sure I had my pain meds filled and kept on top of them even if I was not hurting.  The trick is not to let yourself get to that point where you start feeling uncomfortable.
3. I bought a book on CD to take my mind of the "bumps" and the long ride.
4.  Pillows and blankets are a must.
5. and of course a hubby who understands your condition and is willing to do all the driving.

Good Luck.  I hope all turns out well for you!

Connib
on 4/15/09 2:21 pm - Vernon , Canada
Thank you

Great advice, #5 is most important and I do have a awesome hubby, he will make sure I am comfortable.
I like the idea of the book on CD.
Question for you what is the difference between a RNY and ERNY?
Thank you
Conni
mew6495
on 4/16/09 11:55 am - MI
On April 15, 2009 at 9:21 PM Pacific Time, Connib wrote:
Thank you

Great advice, #5 is most important and I do have a awesome hubby, he will make sure I am comfortable.
I like the idea of the book on CD.
Question for you what is the difference between a RNY and ERNY?
Thank you
Conni
Upper portion still utilizes a pouch system.  If you are revising they usually leave the pouch untouched.  In a traditional RNY the surgeon typically will bypass up to 150 cm of intestine, measuring from the stomach/pouch down.  ERNY (extended RNY) is more distal, allowing for more malabsorption.  They create a "common channel"  where your food and enzymes meet for a shortened length of intestine.  They measure from the bottom up.  Usually the common channel is anywhere from 50 cm to 100 cm.  50 is quite dangerous and I don't think many surgeons do this any longer.  My common channel is 75 cm.   I revised from a tradition RNY to ERNY.

Most Active