Revisions?

LTruesdale1980
on 4/14/09 12:24 am - Orange Grove, TX
I am curious about getting a revision.  I had the gastric done 4 years ago. Over the past year, I had a baby and have lost be regained the weight (went from 193 to around 255 now) and am looking into the possibility of a revision.  I never did get to my goal weight.  I have had plastic surgeries since then and retain water horribly. 

also, would insurance cover it at all?

Lisa
Linda F.
on 4/14/09 12:30 am - Tampa, FL

I am applying to my insurance company because my surgeon thinks that it's a "mechanical" failure - that I have gained most of my weight back.  I had my original RNY in 1997, lost 130 lbs, had plastic surgery, kept it off for only about 2 years and then the weigt started creeping back on.  Now I weigh 250 and am seeking a revision.  I guess it would depend on your insurance carrier.  You may want to call them and then get a consult with a bariatric surgeon.

Good Luck!

Linda

LTruesdale1980
on 4/14/09 12:35 am - Orange Grove, TX
I will look into it.  I will also need to find a different surgeon.  The one that did mine does not do the RNY revisions, only the lap band revisions.

Thanks...you too!!!

Lisa
mew6495
on 4/15/09 1:31 pm - MI

There are many types of revisions so be sure to do your research to see what best suits you and your life style.  Then maybe look for a surgeon who is experienced in performing the revision you choose.  Experience is paramount with revisions and can never be understated.

My insurance paid for my revision.  I have BCBSMI.  Their requirements were that it had to be medically necessary.  Like the other post mentioned, I would call your insurance or go on line and find out their coverage and requirements that way you can start working towards them while you do your searching for a surgery and a surgeon.  If you call, be very clear in what you are asking.  Many times they will tell you that you have to meet all the requirements that you did for your original wls.  If you can get the billing code for the revision it may help.  I called my insurance on 4 different occaions and they kept giving me different criteria.  Be persistent and don't give up if they say "no" right off the bat.  Many times they do in hopes you will accept that and go away!

Good luck to you.

Most Active