People who had the band removed

PekinSal
on 4/12/09 9:08 pm - UK
I had mine taken out then had to wait a few months to get the DS. I was in and out in a day for the removal, and just felt a bit tender for a couple of days. I ate soup for a day, but the next day I was on soft food and normal things shortly after - being able to eat again without worrying takes a while to get used to!

Sleeve stomach is totally different to the band. No pb-ing, protein will go down, no problems with cold food/hot food/whatever your band didn't like today. I had the DS part as well because even when the band was working ok I didn't lose much weight with restriction alone.

The removal part was easy though - it will be a relief!

DS revision from failed lapband

babsintx
on 4/13/09 12:50 pm - GA
Hi,

I am a band to sleeve revision. Had the band for 5 years so there was a lot of scar tissue. It was all done in one surgery which lasted 4 1/2 hours since I had adhesions to my liver and lots of other stomach adhesions due to a 9.75 Inamed band that was too tight for my original anatomy. The worst incision was where they took the port and my stomach out. IT took a few weeks before I felt better. It was more painful having the revision. I cant speak for removal only. I also knew that I would regain all my weight since I had some time with an empty band and regained quite a bit during this time. I love the sleeve. If you can find someone to do a one step revision that would be better since very few can keep the weight off without the band.

Babs

kristy2007
on 4/14/09 5:06 am - Belgium
I had my band removed because I was constantly vomiting and in pain - but I got it reversed with a bypass surgery. However, I know my surgeon struggled quite a bit because the band had rubbed so badly on my stomach tissue due to the constant vomiting. I had the band removed because the doctor feared that all my vomiting would rupture my stomach, so all costs were covered by the insurance.

But if you are not vomiting som much, then it should be relatively routine to switch to a bypass surgery. (which I was recommended - apparently you have less reflux then with the sleave).

I must say I am very happy with the procedure so far - I do have slight dumping syndrome, which just takes a bit of getting used to - in the first few months I did have it quite often, as I did not know the sugar content of things and my tollerance levels. Now I know I can eat one scoop of icecream not two - 1 marsbar not two, two waffles not three and so on.

I would definately recommend you to do a revision - otherwise you're right back where you started in no time!

Anyhow - it is an important decision which nobody can take but you - so I'm sure you reflect on all the millions of input you get, just as I did before I reached my own personal conclusion.

Best of luck and I am sure you arrive at the best decision for you.

Kristy
~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/15/09 10:56 am - Jacksonville, FL
I had my Band removed, but was converted to a VSG at the same time.  Recovery was much easier than with my initial Band surgery... a lot less pain.  The only thing that bugged me was the spot where they took out my stomach, so as you're not having that done... probably won't be much pain at all.

My post-op diet was related to my VSG, not Band removal.  I'd be surprised if you have any sort of post-op diet.. maybe mushies for a day or two, but that's probably it.

Good luck!! :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

kikkace
on 4/17/09 12:37 pm - houston, TX
I had my band removed last year. Mine is a totally different story.  had my band 11/16/07 went to ER on 12/31/07 severe pain on my left side. I had abscesses on my liver and spleen, they put in drain tubes to help with infection it didn't work. finally they said I had to have my spleen and band removed, they had to open me up and take everything out because my spleen would have fallen apart. I was in the hospital for about a month and he left my incision open for 2 weeks. i had lost 30lbs before going to hospital, lost another 30lbs in the hospital because i was so sick. I paid cash for my surgery because my ins does not cover it at all or else I would have LOVED to get a revision to a sleeve but I don't have another $13,000. I have since gained about 70lbs and if my ins would cover it I would do the sleeve, I hope you would consider it especially if your ins covers it, some of us don't have that opportunity!! I was eating normally the next day and had no problems with any food afterwards...apparantly! Good luck!

It's hard to be optimistic when your fat pants are tight!

Most Active