FOBI Revision Needed ... My Cousin is Down to 98 pounds!

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/09 7:32 am
Hey, y'all.

My cousin, who had a Fobi WLS performed about 12 years ago, has had terrible follow-up care.  I have no idea how long people normally expect follow-up care, or how long surgeons require it, but she was considered a done deal with Fobi once she was a year out.

It is now TWELVE years later, and this poor woman is down to 98 pounds, but feels she is absolutely not welcome to contact the surgeon, since they have rebuffed her several times before.  I was shocked when I saw her at a family dinner last night ..., skeletal is the word.

We only had time to briefly touch on the topic of revision.  I very much doubt that anyone is pulling vitamin labs on her.

My surgeon does not do revisions.  I will call his office tomorrow to ask who they recommend, when revisions become necessary.  In the meantime, who do you all know who examines other peoples' patients and performs revisions, in the greater LA area?

Not that I know how her surgery should be revised.  But OMG if something isn't done soon, she's going to die.

jeanyjane
on 4/12/09 8:01 am - Germany
I`m very, very sorry to hear that your relative is having so serious issues.. do you know for sure that her probelms are surgery-related? It has happened that people became anorectic after WLS. I just wonder why she hasn`t tried to get help from another surgeon, her condition sound alarming.

All the best!
Cindy O.
on 4/12/09 8:43 am - Bryan, TX
The Fobi procedure is topic of many discussion amongst the WLS community.  Try searching for an experienced surgeon in her area at asmbs.org.  She does need to be evaluated by both a surgeon and a shrink.  I could be a psych problem, a mechanical problem with the fobi pouch or ring, or a combo of both.

Meantime, she CAN increase her caloric intake.  We all know how to do that. 

Wishing her the best.

Cindy O.
magnet

I do not give medical advice.  I offer my opinion, nothing more. 
~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/16/09 10:56 am - Jacksonville, FL
She should be able to find somebody to follow up with her.. at least do labs and such.  What about her OB/Gyn or PCP??

As for revisions, I know a woman who lost too much with her MGB, had the bypass part reversed and was converted to a VSG.  She's gained some weight, but not too much, and is quite happy.

I would think that pretty much any skilled RNY revision surgeon should be able to help your cousin.  The Fobi procedure is not that different from a normal RNY.  Only difference, I believe, is the silastic ring.  So her revision options should be the same as any RNY.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

Most Active