vsg revision to vsg??

susang
on 4/9/09 12:13 pm - CA
I had a vsg 3 years ago and love it. the problem is I have severe reflux, starting about 8 months ago, and was put on protonics. I had an endoscopy which show my stomach looks like an "8" rather than a banana. One surgeon told me his former partner did the surgery wrong, the surgeon who did the surgery thinks I stretched my stomach by overeating ( I have gained 7 pounds in a year).
Regardless, i have reflux constantly, the food isnt "flowing" properly due to the irregular shape of my stomach. So here is my question
Has anyone had a revised VSG? Did it help??? Do they even do that???
Would this be considered medical at this point??
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks
~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/9/09 1:11 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Susan:

There are a few journal articles about re-sleeve gastrectomies.  I honestly do not know if it would work in your situation or not.  Typically, sleeves revise to a DS.  Some revise to a RNY.  But if you're only seven pounds over goal, I would think it might be an option. 

As you're in Cali, some experienced surgeons who come to mind are the LapSF group and the Rabkins in the SF area.  Further south,  Dr. eshishian's name comes up a lot. 

Good luck :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

susang
on 4/9/09 10:56 pm - CA
Thanks sami, Lap SF did my surgery and the doctor who did it is no longer there.  I am in LA so I will look up the other doc...Thanks for the valuable info!
susang
on 4/9/09 11:02 pm - CA
Sami...do you have a place/location for Dr Eshishian..I looked him up but cant find anything or first name...thanks
~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/10/09 1:15 am - Jacksonville, FL
You'll never find him, as I had a typo in his name.  The K didn't show up. :)  Here you go:

* Ara Keshishian, MD, FACS (photo)
E-mail:
[email protected]
Dawn Keshishian, RN or Michelle Wiggins
Phone: 800-816-6647 (toll-free)
Central Valley Office:
Delano Regional Medical Arts Building
1205 Garces Highway, Suite 303
Delano, CA 93215
Greater Los Angeles Office:
1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite # 319
Glendale, CA 91208
http://www,dssurgery.com

You know, if your surgeon was Dr. Feng... he has/had an excellent reputation.  I believe he (and the other LapSF docs) all use a 32 F bougie for their sleeves...and have for some time.  I'm pretty sure they were using a 32 F three years ago too... as I started researching the sleeve a bit before that, and they were using 32F at the time.  :)

I would call/talk to your orginal surgeon as well...and get his input.  Also, of course, get a copy of your surgical report so you know how you were sized, etc.

Good luck Susan. :)

Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

susang
on 4/10/09 3:04 am - CA
Sami,
Thanks so much! Dr feng is an excellent doctor..I just need to get this fixed and need someone close to home. I have called Dr. feng and I am sure he will get back to me soon, he thinks its from over eating , possibly popcorn, Cirangle thinks it was the surgery itself....
Anyways thanks again for the lead on a good doc closer to home!
~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/10/09 6:06 am - Jacksonville, FL
When you talk with Dr. Feng, be sure to ask him what he thinks possible fixes are for you.  Also ask him if there is somebody that he recommends you see in the LA area. :)

susang
on 4/10/09 9:24 am - CA
Hi Sami,
Spoke with dr feng for an hour...he is so good...anywho the jist of the hour conversation I have to go back to basics first,, shakes and one actual chewing meal of  protein. If my problem persists in a month he will repair my hernia and move my stomach over to the right for the reflux issue. he is not keen on a revision as i havent gained too much weight and it is a higher risk surgery. So hopefully once I get my stomach to settle down I will reintoduce more of a variety of foods and go from there. I am not looking forward to the shakes but on the bright side my stomach should feel better and i will lose a few pounds....
I am always happy that dr. feng is soooo accesible and continues positive care 3 years later.
If I have surgery i will go back to him, ins. should cover because it is a medical condition.
Thanks for all of the input
StacysMom
on 4/9/09 2:32 pm
 Yes, a VSG can be revised.   (Especially if it wasn't done properly the first time around or if it was made too large - they are making them smaller lately.) They can use a smaller "bougie" size (and use tighter staples, LOL!).   You can also add the malabsorption of the DS, if you find that you need it.  If you only gained 7 lbs in one year, it appears as though the VSG alone is successful enough for you, but you didn't say if you were at goal.   If you have severe reflux, that may be enough (depending on your company) to get it revised via insurance - reflux is a medical problem, after all.  

The good thing is that you don't have the  pouch of the RNY which even when revised, seems to stretch out again and require further lifelong intervention for those who don't initially achieve success with it.  

Now, take a deep breath - this can be easily fixed!     
susang
on 4/9/09 10:59 pm - CA
Thanks for this information....I did hit my goal and I am satisfied with my weight loss, of course not the gain, but it is this reflux that is getting to me. My gasto doc is not at all familiar with this (WLS) and said the next step would be with a surgeon....Do you know what size they are making the stomach now days? I think I had a 34 bougie....
Most Active