Lap Band to RNY

Becca B.
on 4/8/09 10:15 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I am preparing to have my Lap Band removed and RNY done.  My surgery date is April 28th.  I start my liquid diet this coming Tuesday.  I am slightly nervous because I know that there can be some complications when changing from the Band to the Bypass.  Just wondering if anyone has had this done and if they have encountered any problems?  If so what and what do I need to look for?  Any words of wisdom from those that have had it done?

Starting: 382  
Day of Surgery: 375  
Current: 325
Goal: 180

PekinSal
on 4/9/09 12:32 am - UK
Hi Becca

There can be complications going from all the surgeries to something else, but if your surgeon is experienced then you have the best odds of coming through brilliantly.

Mine said the band made the stomach walls thicken (and mine ended up a strange shape) so it might take longer to refashion a pouch than for someone who is a virgin wls-er. In the end I had no problems though - they check you very thoroughly for leaks and things going wrong, so you'll be in safe hands.

Best of luck, hope it all goes smoothly!

DS revision from failed lapband

fortworthgal
on 4/10/09 3:59 am - Fort Worth , TX
I got a lap band in Mexico in 2004 and managed to lose 40 lbs, had lots of problems with it and gained the weight back. Had a revision to RNY on Aug 1, 2008. I did have serious, almost deadly complications due to blood clots which was pure hell but the revision itsself went fine. Most people do not get blood clots. I weighed 205 when I had my revision and this morning I weighed 132.5. I thought the weight loss had stopped around 137 because I stalled for about a month and just recently started losing more even though I am not trying.  Im glad I did it, I have never been this thin before. I take my vitamins and all but sometimes my energy feels low but I still have no regrets.

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

Most Active