Gaining weight 5 years post-op

WYMSYKLE
on 4/9/09 2:59 am - Yucaipa, CA

Hi,
I started gaining weight this past year.  I am on liquids at this moment trying to get some weight off so I can wear my clothes.  I was just a few pounds from my goal wieght and now I hit 200 last week. 
What are options?

PekinSal
on 4/9/09 9:30 pm - UK
First thing is usually to find out what's changed from when you were losing weight. Assuming you're still following the rules, the majority of people on here have either stoma enlargement or pouch stretching. Alternatively your RNY may have done 100% of what it was ever going to do,and you are now 'bouncing back'. You need tests to confirm this, so you might want to contact your surgeon.

Options are huge (and getting longer all the time!):
- pouch resizing
- stoma tightening (surgical or with ROSE/Stomaphyx)
- extending your malabsorbtion, to eRNY
- placing a band over your pouch to increase restriction
- conversion to DS

I think that's all of them...that should give you somewhere to start!

DS revision from failed lapband

pepsi98
on 4/9/09 10:34 pm, edited 4/10/09 12:06 pm - Norwich, CT
On April 9, 2009 at 9:59 AM Pacific Time, WYMSYKLE wrote:

Hi,
I started gaining weight this past year.  I am on liquids at this moment trying to get some weight off so I can wear my clothes.  I was just a few pounds from my goal wieght and now I hit 200 last week. 
What are options?

The only difficulty I personally have with RNY ( and I can comment because I had one) is that after you lose weight, your body becomes a master at absorbing all those calories again.  Although weight re gain is common, with RNY you have to be extra vigilant when you start to regain or else it will be a train out of control.

Just do what you're doing and remember if you gain a few...lose a few.  Don't let it get away from you because this is the hardest part...maintaining!!

Good Luck!  There is no magic here, at this point it's eating properly, exercising and drinking enough water.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

WYMSYKLE
on 4/10/09 2:25 am - Yucaipa, CA

I'm banned from exercising until my blood pressure is undercontrol. When I got 10 lbs from goal wieght, it spiked really high and i"m on meds to control it only it isn't very much controlled.  I see my Internist again on Wednesday to go over my treatmill results.  Then he may increase my meds or do more tests.  My BP was really high while doing the hard part, but my heart rate was only 82.  I also had to quit due to having an asthma attack on the treadmill.

I just can't seem to win here.  DANG

pepsi98
on 4/10/09 12:08 pm - Norwich, CT
Just don't lose hope...you'll be fine!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Most Active