Going to see surgeon tomorrow RE: Lap Band Revision to RNY

Rose A.
on 4/7/09 1:24 am - Methuen, MA

After 3 years of giving this band all I have its time. I have failed it and its time to move onto the next step. With my metabolism the way it is I need malabsorbtion to help me the rest of the way. I have researched everything and RNY is the way I want to go. So, please no drama re: other options. This is what I want.

I go tomorrow to see my NUT and surgeon to start the process. Are there any specific questions I need to ask...??...just a little nervous right now. Hoping insurance will cover....I have BCBS of MA and i still have crippling knee pain and my BMI is 43.

306/261.5/233.5/180

Highest/Day of surgery/CURRENT/Goal
Revision from Lap Band to RNY on June 16, 2009!!
Rose
        Success is a journey....not a  destination.
Dream as if you will live forever......Live as if you will die today.....

Zee Starrlite
on 4/7/09 2:19 am
Hey Rose!

I wish you only the very best.  You deserve to succeed and you will with your RNY.

Much ,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Rose A.
on 4/7/09 2:48 am - Methuen, MA
Oh Leila! Thank you so much for the positive vibes! It means so much to me!

306/261.5/233.5/180

Rose

jenniferhlee
on 4/7/09 3:43 am - Denver, NC

Rose,
I am in the same place as you. I have a surgeon who is looking over my original records from my LapBand surgery that I had done in Mexico in 2005. I am hoping to get approval for a revision to RNY. Best of luck and let us know how it all goes for you!!!

Jenn

Rose A.
on 4/7/09 3:48 am - Methuen, MA
HI Jenn! Whats up with your band? Are you having problems or just not been able to lose like me?

306/261.5/233.5/180

Rose

jenniferhlee
on 4/7/09 6:13 am - Denver, NC
This is my post from last week which explains it for the most part. It's my story in a nutshell. :0)

I was banded in June 2005 but don't have a happy story to tell, which is why I never post. I believe that either my band was placed too high or my body is just not meant to be banded. On a positive note, my acid reflux actually stopped after being banded. But I had an endoscopy 2 years later and the gastrointerologist could not tell I had a band. He also said that I have a hiatal hernia which I did not have when the band was placed. Everything I eat either goes straight through or comes back up. I have not lost any weight since the first few months and have continued to fluxuate up and down by 30 pounds. I only had one fill because I'm sure that my band is not in the right spot. I went to Mexico to have my band put in but now I'm taking steps to have it removed and get gastric bypass here in my local area. I have not had a great experience with the band as many others have. But maybe it's just not for everyone.???
brandyII
on 4/7/09 4:24 am
I was never able to lose and actually gained back the weight I lost pre-op and it was 14 months of problems dealing with the fact that I should have picked RNY in the first place.  I have to go through some more hoops but hopefully will be approved for the RNY in June.  Just like when you had that positive feeling before getting banded you can again look towards a more positive future with your revision.  Good luck to you too!
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

wilivcooke
on 4/8/09 3:30 am

Rose,

I had the RNY in '03 and was very happy with my outcome. Five years later I began to gain the weight back. I am know having a revision DS and wish that I had done the DS the first time. In my research I have found so many people that have experienced the weight regain. I would definately talk to your surgeon about the long term success of the RNY VS the DS.

Good luck,

MIna
Becca B.
on 4/8/09 10:18 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I am in your same situation.  I had my band placed in June 07 and lost 70 pounds but gained it all back because I could not get any restriction.  I will be having RNY on 4-28 and am nervous.  I hope things go well for you and that things work this time around.

Starting: 382  
Day of Surgery: 375  
Current: 325
Goal: 180

Rose A.
on 4/8/09 11:31 pm - Methuen, MA
Hi Becca!! I wish you all the luck is well!!! Pls keep me updated on how things go!

306/261.5/233.5/180

Rose

Most Active