describe difference in pouch with band and RNY

brandyII
on 4/7/09 11:34 am
Can someone who has revised from "band" to RNY describe what the new pouch feels like comparing it to the pouch with the lap band.   I hope this question makes sense but basically anything you can think of that can compare the two by your own experiences and physical feelings etc...  Thanks much brandyII
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

MARCIAM
on 4/7/09 1:07 pm - Sayville, NY
I have restriction all of the time.  I don't have to wait for an allusive "sweet spot".  I also don't have to worry about PBing any more.
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

brandyII
on 4/7/09 1:20 pm
What about if you ate chips or cookies or candy do they go right through like they do with the band??
MARCIAM
on 4/7/09 1:24 pm - Sayville, NY
Each person is different, but for me chips would stay in my pouch unless they have too many carbs.  I cannot eat Candy and cookies because it would make me dump. That is something I want to avoid at all costs.  Five minutes  of pleasure  isn't worh hours of being sick...
RNY on 9/22/08

brandyII
on 4/7/09 1:35 pm
Thanks

My daughter has the RNY so I can observe her and learn from her but there's a difference between being a virgin RNYer and someone who has had the band before that's why I'm asking.  She has never had dumping s.but is able to eat small quantities and I remember certain foods going right through the band just in case I too don't experience dumping s.  I know not to drink liquids with food as I assume that would just empty the pouch sooner than necessary.  I know I need the malabsorption from the RNY but don't want to get into any of the same problems I had with the band.  Thanks for your assist, brandyII.
MARCIAM
on 4/7/09 2:00 pm - Sayville, NY
I totally understand.  To sum it up, for me it is much easier to live life with the RNY.  I am healthier, happier and eating is so much easier.  The malabsorption has made all the difference for me.

Good luck to you! I hope that everything goes well for you!
RNY on 9/22/08

brandyII
on 4/7/09 3:20 pm
Thanks for the help Marcia, I appreciate it and will let you know! 
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

Most Active