I cannot believe some of the negative energy that flies around on this forum!

Fatfreedom
on 4/6/09 12:04 pm - NH

When people ask questions about certain procedures, whether or not you think they will or will not work, you should practice TACT and reply with a little more respect and consideration for feelings.  I am referring to the general "you".

I cannot believe some of the backlash I have read where people tell you a procedure absolutely does not work, and too bad.  How about some support?  How about offering other suggestions?  This is a SUPPORT board.  People are looking to be lifted up-NOT DEFLATED.

END OF STORY.

Zee Starrlite
on 4/7/09 12:23 am, edited 4/7/09 12:48 am

You just want someone to tell you that all of that BS stoma scarring/tightening/pleating surgery works.  Just about everyone who has had it (minus that one person who doesn't even seem real) says that. Why should someone needing a revision be led in the wrong direction. 

Tough cookies!!!  YOU want stoma tightening - it is your choice, your goal.  You are sure about it, go for it and by the grace of God, it may work for you!

L

Why don't you follow-up with some of these people who have had the stoma tightening procedures - one has converted to the Realize Band:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3754202/Has-anyon e-had-Stomaphyx-done/

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/09 1:19 am - AZ
On April 6, 2009 at 7:04 PM Pacific Time, Fatfreedom wrote:

When people ask questions about certain procedures, whether or not you think they will or will not work, you should practice TACT and reply with a little more respect and consideration for feelings.  I am referring to the general "you".

I cannot believe some of the backlash I have read where people tell you a procedure absolutely does not work, and too bad.  How about some support?  How about offering other suggestions?  This is a SUPPORT board.  People are looking to be lifted up-NOT DEFLATED.

END OF STORY.

Zee is right, you do appear to be looking for someone to tell you that a procedure with very low success is going to be the answer to your prayers.  If you wanted people to lie to you, you should have explained this.

Alternatives that actually work have been posted time and time again.  Not sure why you are the only one not seeing the suggestions.

Fatfreedom
on 4/7/09 3:09 pm - NH
Ladies, you are making incorrect assumptions, but that is ok.

I have spoken to people who have had success and those who have not.  I know it is 100% controversial, and the majority of the people it does not work for.  My head is not in the clouds, and I am not just looking for the answer to my prayers-which, by the way, if this procedure did work it would be a tool I'd need to work myself, not an answer to my prayers.  There is truly NO procedure out there that does not require the dedictaion of lifestyle changes for success.  I am very well aware of this.

My issue is the Nazi-like answers I receive.  Just shot down with no grace.  It makes you feel terrible.  You should try to think about the tone of your responses, and ask yourself if you would answer in the same tone if you were face to face with the person on the other side of the monitor.

Anyways, I am speaking with my surgeon Thursday.  I'll see what he says (he is not the one who performs the procedure).

In the process of seeking a revision to RNY(12/03).  Sclerotherapy has been recommended after exploratory endoscopy last week.  I am meeting with my surgeon 4/9 to discuss what I am going to do.
JROLFSON
on 4/8/09 12:22 am - St. George, UT
Hello There:

I've been watching this thread to see how many folks here would respond. Honestly I'm surprised more haven't.

I feel where your coming from, I've seen some pretty blatant attacks on this board. I really don't know why either. I realize everyone has an opinion and wants to express it. But at the same time they need to do so without making one feel as if there is no other procedure in the world that works, but the one they happen to be supporting. Showing tact, is a sign of love, care, friendship, and hope.

I am a Revised RNY now scheduled for a 3rd Revision to ERNY. Would really like to be scheduled for a DS. But, money at this point and the marginally higher risks...Won't probably allow me to go that way. I'm just waiting on Insurance to come through. So I know the agony your going through, just about everyone here knows it....We are all in the same boat.

I think what a poster should say to you is if Sclerotherapy is your option, go for it but one of the risks with it is; if it doesn't workout and your weight loss isn't satisfactory, the scarring can become so bad around the Stoma in the pouch that it could make it virtually impossible for you to ever get a revision to the pouch area, if you should need it, in the future. That is to a future procedure like DS. After RNY you will already have significant scarring and to add to that can make things much more difficult to work on you.

That said, you should know your options, especially if your insurance covers, because I think the folks here know just by reading what the %'s of success are on the different types of endoscopy revision therapies. To date, they haven't been glowing, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. If you are committed and truly work at it, I have heard of it working, better than the Rose and Stomaphyx.

So dear one, I hope you stay with us, don't get your feelings hurt, people are just passionate at times, thinking more of how they come off in the written word, than how they scare people away.

If I can help in anyway, please feel free to PM me. Good Luck...

Janie

Fatfreedom
on 4/8/09 1:26 am - NH
On April 8, 2009 at 7:22 AM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote:
Hello There:

I've been watching this thread to see how many folks here would respond. Honestly I'm surprised more haven't.

I feel where your coming from, I've seen some pretty blatant attacks on this board. I really don't know why either. I realize everyone has an opinion and wants to express it. But at the same time they need to do so without making one feel as if there is no other procedure in the world that works, but the one they happen to be supporting. Showing tact, is a sign of love, care, friendship, and hope.

I am a Revised RNY now scheduled for a 3rd Revision to ERNY. Would really like to be scheduled for a DS. But, money at this point and the marginally higher risks...Won't probably allow me to go that way. I'm just waiting on Insurance to come through. So I know the agony your going through, just about everyone here knows it....We are all in the same boat.

I think what a poster should say to you is if Sclerotherapy is your option, go for it but one of the risks with it is; if it doesn't workout and your weight loss isn't satisfactory, the scarring can become so bad around the Stoma in the pouch that it could make it virtually impossible for you to ever get a revision to the pouch area, if you should need it, in the future. That is to a future procedure like DS. After RNY you will already have significant scarring and to add to that can make things much more difficult to work on you.

That said, you should know your options, especially if your insurance covers, because I think the folks here know just by reading what the %'s of success are on the different types of endoscopy revision therapies. To date, they haven't been glowing, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. If you are committed and truly work at it, I have heard of it working, better than the Rose and Stomaphyx.

So dear one, I hope you stay with us, don't get your feelings hurt, people are just passionate at times, thinking more of how they come off in the written word, than how they scare people away.

If I can help in anyway, please feel free to PM me. Good Luck...

Janie

Thank you for your VERY informative reply!

I had no idea about the scarring being an issue, and this iexactly why I post and ask questions!  What you have told me is a very negative result of the sclerotherapy procedure.  However, the difference is that you used your intelligence and TACT to advise me of this in a non aggressive manner.  THAT is what I am talking about.

You did not shoot me down.  You did not simply just tell me it does not work.  You explained!  THANK YOU!

I truly hope you get the DS you want.  Insurance issues suck.  I hope they come thru for you!

In the process of seeking a revision to RNY(12/03).  Sclerotherapy has been recommended after exploratory endoscopy last week.  I am meeting with my surgeon 4/9 to discuss what I am going to do.
JROLFSON
on 4/8/09 12:28 am - St. George, UT
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/09 1:16 am - AZ
On April 7, 2009 at 10:09 PM Pacific Time, Fatfreedom wrote:

I have spoken to people who have had success and those who have not.  I know it is 100% controversial, and the majority of the people it does not work for.  My head is not in the clouds, and I am not just looking for the answer to my prayers-which, by the way, if this procedure did work it would be a tool I'd need to work myself, not an answer to my prayers.  There is truly NO procedure out there that does not require the dedictaion of lifestyle changes for success.  I am very well aware of this.

My issue is the Nazi-like answers I receive.  Just shot down with no grace.  It makes you feel terrible.  You should try to think about the tone of your responses, and ask yourself if you would answer in the same tone if you were face to face with the person on the other side of the monitor.

Anyways, I am speaking with my surgeon Thursday.  I'll see what he says (he is not the one who performs the procedure).

If folks are posting here it is because they needed a revision.  Some regained, some the original procedure never worked to begin with, some had severe side effects from the surgery requiring a revision.  We KNOW how you feel.  We read the boards, we see trends, we see paid posters pushing a doc or a procedure.  There was a person posting a long time ago praising your procedure and how well it worked and she was thrilled to death with it.  Guess what?  That person turned out to be an employee for the doctor that she was pushing and she never even HAD the procedure done as she claimed.

Nobody here has attacked you, nobody has insulted you.  They told you their honest opinions hoping to save you from more pain if this does not work.

Why do you suppose so many doctors don't do stomaphyx or similar procedures?  Revisions are big business right now.  2/3 of the US population is fat and a lot of people are doing something about it.   If it was such a great and effective procedure more would be doing it.  The same goes with all procedure types that are ineffective or prevent future procedures.

I'd just get a 2nd and 3rd opinion if I was you.  What do you have to lose by doing that?  Go to someone who does all revision types and see if your 2nd and 3rd opinion agree this is an effective surgery.

Bottom line, you aren't going to get many people HERE on this board, this target population suggesting you go for it, get a procedure that pretty much everyone posting here has failed.  It's not going to happen.  If that is what you are looking for go to a newbie board where they don't know anything and perhaps you'll get the cheering you are looking for.  But it isn't likely you'll find it here because we want you to succeed.

I hope it works for you.
Fatfreedom
on 4/8/09 1:33 am - NH
On April 8, 2009 at 8:16 AM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:

If folks are posting here it is because they needed a revision.  Some regained, some the original procedure never worked to begin with, some had severe side effects from the surgery requiring a revision.  We KNOW how you feel.  We read the boards, we see trends, we see paid posters pushing a doc or a procedure.  There was a person posting a long time ago praising your procedure and how well it worked and she was thrilled to death with it.  Guess what?  That person turned out to be an employee for the doctor that she was pushing and she never even HAD the procedure done as she claimed.

Nobody here has attacked you, nobody has insulted you.  They told you their honest opinions hoping to save you from more pain if this does not work.

Why do you suppose so many doctors don't do stomaphyx or similar procedures?  Revisions are big business right now.  2/3 of the US population is fat and a lot of people are doing something about it.   If it was such a great and effective procedure more would be doing it.  The same goes with all procedure types that are ineffective or prevent future procedures.

I'd just get a 2nd and 3rd opinion if I was you.  What do you have to lose by doing that?  Go to someone who does all revision types and see if your 2nd and 3rd opinion agree this is an effective surgery.

Bottom line, you aren't going to get many people HERE on this board, this target population suggesting you go for it, get a procedure that pretty much everyone posting here has failed.  It's not going to happen.  If that is what you are looking for go to a newbie board where they don't know anything and perhaps you'll get the cheering you are looking for.  But it isn't likely you'll find it here because we want you to succeed.

I hope it works for you.

Ok, so if you KNOW how I feel (vulnerable, concerned, scared...etc) then why reply with such aggression?  I have been on this board over 5 years and am just shocked by what I have seen lately.

I have also seen it where people ask about revisions and the DS'ers are extremely aggressive about stating their way is the only way.

I understand the sclerotherapy may not work.  I also understand there is a small chance it will.  I guess I am trying to be hopeful.  I have two childen under 3.5, and I just cannot put my life at risk with major surgery for fear of what could happen if I died.  So, therefor, I am hoping and praying I am in the minority that this might work for.

I am actually working with a phenomenal revision surgeon in Boston Dr. Lautz.  He is my 1st second and third opinon.  Patients go to him to fix other doctor's work.  Regardless, I am speaking with him tomorrow and will be deciding then what the best course of action is to take.

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/09 1:42 am - AZ
On April 8, 2009 at 8:33 AM Pacific Time, Fatfreedom wrote:
On April 8, 2009 at 8:16 AM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:

I hope it works for you.

Ok, so if you KNOW how I feel (vulnerable, concerned, scared...etc) then why reply with such aggression?  I have been on this board over 5 years and am just shocked by what I have seen lately.

I have also seen it where people ask about revisions and the DS'ers are extremely aggressive about stating their way is the only way.

I understand the sclerotherapy may not work.  I also understand there is a small chance it will.  I guess I am trying to be hopeful.  I have two childen under 3.5, and I just cannot put my life at risk with major surgery for fear of what could happen if I died.  So, therefor, I am hoping and praying I am in the minority that this might work for.

I am actually working with a phenomenal revision surgeon in Boston Dr. Lautz.  He is my 1st second and third opinon.  Patients go to him to fix other doctor's work.  Regardless, I am speaking with him tomorrow and will be deciding then what the best course of action is to take.

~~Ok, so if you KNOW how I feel (vulnerable, concerned, scared...etc) then why reply with such aggression?  I have been on this board over 5 years and am just shocked by what I have seen lately.~~

Because we don't want to see you back here in 6 months depressed over a procedure that was not effective!  Honestly, I don't know how I can express this to you in any other manner that is more clear for you.

Yes, the DSers have issues of their own.  They are not always nice people but if you read through the threads you'll see me going after them for behaviors.  If you don't like their opinions use the block feature.  It's that simple.

You want to be around for your kids, obesity is a pretty darn good killer.  If this procedure does not work what will you do then?

Most Active