Where to begin?

Linda F.
on 4/5/09 10:34 am - Tampa, FL
(deactivated member)
on 4/6/09 12:19 am - AZ
On April 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM Pacific Time, lindave31 wrote: Hello all,

I had RNY in '97 and went form 271 to 140 (I'm about 5'1") - stayed there for about 10 minutes (less than a year) then the weight started to creep back on (there were several contributing factors in there - my brother died, went to law school, had a baby, etc.)  Now I am about 240 (the last time I checked...several months ago)  A few years back when I was at about 180 I went to see a bariatric surgeon who basically told me that I needed to join weigh****chers.  Needless to say - I was crushed.  Recently, I started doing some research and finding out about all of these revisions - which I honestly didn't have any idea were possible for me.  I've called my insurance company and found out that WLS is not excluded (hurdle #1), as long as it's medically necessary.  My question is:  How do I go about finding a surgeon in my area (Tampa, FL)- who will work with my to figure out why my RNY is "not working" anymore and help me figure out the best solution for me and work with me to get the necessary approval.  Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Thanks, Linda

What if you go to your PCP and get an upper GI and then have them scanned to CD and email them to various revision surgeons?  They might not be local but there are options.

StacysMom has some great links for you.  I'm sure she'll be happy to post them.

pepsi98
on 4/6/09 7:41 am - Norwich, CT
On April 6, 2009 at 7:19 AM Pacific Time, MidwesternGirl wrote:
On April 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM Pacific Time, lindave31 wrote: Hello all,

I had RNY in '97 and went form 271 to 140 (I'm about 5'1") - stayed there for about 10 minutes (less than a year) then the weight started to creep back on (there were several contributing factors in there - my brother died, went to law school, had a baby, etc.)  Now I am about 240 (the last time I checked...several months ago)  A few years back when I was at about 180 I went to see a bariatric surgeon who basically told me that I needed to join weigh****chers.  Needless to say - I was crushed.  Recently, I started doing some research and finding out about all of these revisions - which I honestly didn't have any idea were possible for me.  I've called my insurance company and found out that WLS is not excluded (hurdle #1), as long as it's medically necessary.  My question is:  How do I go about finding a surgeon in my area (Tampa, FL)- who will work with my to figure out why my RNY is "not working" anymore and help me figure out the best solution for me and work with me to get the necessary approval.  Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Thanks, Linda

What if you go to your PCP and get an upper GI and then have them scanned to CD and email them to various revision surgeons?  They might not be local but there are options.

StacysMom has some great links for you.  I'm sure she'll be happy to post them.

Why would the OP have deleted the entire post?  If MWG hadn't quoted the post you'd have no clue as to what she was responding to.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

StacysMom
on 4/6/09 6:01 pm
 You have taken down your original question, but, as requested, I am putting up the links to journal articles on RNY revisions and their expected outcomes for you to see:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3886215/Everyone-should-read-this-Revision-Procedures-for-Failed/

and

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3886208/Great-article-on-RNY-revisions-from-Bariatric-Journal/

I hope these serve as a "jumping off" point for you to research further.   Several people on these forums have traveled far to have their revision surgery.   Especially those desiring conversion to the DS, as so few surgeons perform this procedure and they are scattered throughout the U.S.

Good luck to you.
Most Active