OWWWWW! Leg CRAMPS....

mew6495
on 4/7/09 10:34 am - MI
 Hi Charlene,

I guess I can count myself lucky enough not to get the cramps in my thighs!  So sorry to hear you do though.  Sounds so painful.

I am like you, if I even stretch my legs a certain way or bend my feet a certain way it can set off a cramp.  It's hard to explain how it feels because it is so much more painful then the "normal" cramps I ever had before.

Quinine sounds the way to go.  Sure wish they had it over the counter.  I take it yours is prescription as well.  I never heard of it before, is it something new out?

Thanks for your help!

Ruth A.
on 4/7/09 11:06 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Hi there

I too get very painful leg cramps since having surgery - I get cramps in my shins.  I've read the replies with interest and will try the ideas out. I darent mvoe in certain ways to rey and prevent the cramps coming.

So I'm getting the bananas and water for quinine first thing in the morning

CharleneP
on 4/7/09 11:48 am - Canada
Many Many years ago Quinine was used to treat Milaria.  I was very reluctant to take it. I was actually very scared.
When I took my prescription to the pharmacist I waited for her reaction thinking she must think I'm crazy or something lol...
No reaction from her, so I asked if this was commonly used.. she laughed and said very frequently used. PHEWWWW!!!!

Don't hesitate to get a prescription for it... really its a miracle drug for me......
I've don't the banana thing, but that didn't help me...Not saying it won't help anyone else though..

Take care,
Best of luck,  Let me know if you do try the pill though,  I would be interested to find out how it worked for you.

Charlene
Strawberryga
on 4/9/09 10:17 am - OH
quinine is NOT a reccomended medication prescribed anymore !!! (my father took it for years until they stopped selling it in US a few years ago)

Have you been keeping up on B12? I have vitamin B12 deficient neuropathy. I have same symptoms as you. In my shoulders and in my legs. It started out like Restless leg syndrom then over the years became almost intollerable (feels like my legs are dangling in a vat of boiling acid)

It took me years to get a diagnosis for my pain.  I was finally diagnosed with the Neuropathy after enough damage had been done to my nerves to show up on a nerve test.  Please do not let it get that far. Even if your B12 levels are normal please do NOT skimp on them. You should be getting 1ml injected every month.

I take Neurontin (Lyrica is also prescribed but has a higher tendancy for weight gain, swelling also adema)

If  your General Dr doesn't take you seriously then see your bariatric Dr. Make sure you get to a neurologist. Some Dr's don't believe that B12 deficient neuropathy causes pain- I beg to differ-
This is a new area for most Dr's- unfortunately too many WLS patients are thrown into the "Fybro" fog (as I like to joking call being diagnosed with fybromyalgia then dismissed)

Info on the regulations of Quinine can be found here -  http://www.oshmanlaw.com/pharmaceutical_litigation/quinine.a sp
Strawberry Says, "Take your vitamins Today and be Thankfull Tomorrow!"  
Most Active