OWWWWW! Leg CRAMPS....

mew6495
on 4/4/09 2:54 am - MI
 Hi all,

I have had problems with leg and feet cramps over the past 2 years or so.  It seems to come and go.  It wakes me up in the middle of the night and boy I would think someone took a hot knife to my feet.  I get them in the feet more then the calfs.  I have to literally get up and walk them off, very painful...  Cold weather seems to be worse then warm.  I can't figure out any rhyme or reason for them.  My last labs in January were good.  They have also started appearing in the middle of the day.  

Any of you experience this?  If so, what did you do for them?  Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated.

reeree89
on 4/4/09 9:39 am
Mew,

I take Magnesium for that issue....I cant stand bananas..lol....call your Dr and let him know, he may want to put you on something else! good luck

Maria
Ree
-200 Lbs
Live. Love. Laugh.

mew6495
on 4/4/09 9:52 am - MI
 Thank you Maria for the input.  I appreciate it.  I will definitely increase my magnesium.  I have to go to my pcp for my next set of labs so I will definitely bring it up to him.  Have you had this issue for a long time?

Thanks again.

reeree89
on 4/4/09 12:08 pm
Yes, it has been an ongoing problem with me for almost 3 years....as long as I take my magnesium everything is good! Let me know what your Dr tells you to do.

Maria
Ree
-200 Lbs
Live. Love. Laugh.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/4/09 10:51 am
There are several deficiencies that can cause this, so make sure your doctor knows this is a problem, and the labs are thorough enough to really cover all the bases.

After having labs 5 times, they have missed some (and sometimes a LOT of)  things. Some vials have to be treated specially such as protected from light after the blood is drawn, and if it's not, they just don't run those tests. They never even notice there are missing tests, until I point it out. Every time. I've heard others mention this too.
JRinAZ
on 4/4/09 3:56 pm - Layton, UT
On April 4, 2009 at 9:54 AM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
 Hi all,

I have had problems with leg and feet cramps over the past 2 years or so.  It seems to come and go.  It wakes me up in the middle of the night and boy I would think someone took a hot knife to my feet.  I get them in the feet more then the calfs.  I have to literally get up and walk them off, very painful...  Cold weather seems to be worse then warm.  I can't figure out any rhyme or reason for them.  My last labs in January were good.  They have also started appearing in the middle of the day.  

Any of you experience this?  If so, what did you do for them?  Any feedback or suggestions is appreciated.

Hiya friend!
How bout potassium?  But then you said your levels were all good. (bananas?)
Recent dexa scan?  Osteopenia/Osteoperosis?
Are you diabetic?  Could it be neuropathy?
K levels?
magnessium citrate?
Can you do some resistance exercise for the feet and legs to strengthen?

Some standard answers are to drink more fluids just in case and ......my best help for my similar issues:
1.  hot bubble bath before bed
2.  heating pad "on top" of covers at foot area....so, in my sleep, my feet can move to the hot spot to uncurl the cramps or move away if I'm too warm....usually all done while sleeping at this point!  LOL!

and....my very favorite:  MASSAGE!!!  Oh yeah!  I've got a 90 minute full body massage on Tuesday!  .... counting down the hours

I hope you figure it out and can get some help. 

pepsi98
on 4/4/09 10:37 pm - Norwich, CT
Mew,
I have gotten leg cramps for years now...my secret is Diet Tonic Water which contains quinine.  Take about 4 oz or so before bed and see if that doesn't quiet things down.

If it doesn't help, you may need to get a script for quinine from you doc.

Hope this helps...I know EXACTLY how painful these things are!!!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

mew6495
on 4/5/09 3:14 am - MI
On April 5, 2009 at 5:37 AM Pacific Time, pepsi98 wrote:
Mew,
I have gotten leg cramps for years now...my secret is Diet Tonic Water which contains quinine.  Take about 4 oz or so before bed and see if that doesn't quiet things down.

If it doesn't help, you may need to get a script for quinine from you doc.

Hope this helps...I know EXACTLY how painful these things are!!!

Sue
 Hi Sue,

I never would have guessed that quinine could help!  What a great suggestion.  Thanks for the feedback.  It is great hearing from others who have experienced the same thing and can give simple suggestions. 

I will be sure to ask my doctor about it at my upcoming visit if the tonic water doesn't do it for me.

Thanks again!

mew6495
on 4/5/09 3:10 am - MI
On April 4, 2009 at 10:56 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
On April 4, 2009 at 9:54 AM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
 Hi all,

Hiya friend!
How bout potassium?  But then you said your levels were all good. (bananas?)
Recent dexa scan?  Osteopenia/Osteoperosis?
Are you diabetic?  Could it be neuropathy?
K levels?
magnessium citrate?
Can you do some resistance exercise for the feet and legs to strengthen?

Some standard answers are to drink more fluids just in case and ......my best help for my similar issues:
1.  hot bubble bath before bed
2.  heating pad "on top" of covers at foot area....so, in my sleep, my feet can move to the hot spot to uncurl the cramps or move away if I'm too warm....usually all done while sleeping at this point!  LOL!

and....my very favorite:  MASSAGE!!!  Oh yeah!  I've got a 90 minute full body massage on Tuesday!  .... counting down the hours

I hope you figure it out and can get some help. 

Hey Joyce, how the heck are you?  Hope things are looking up for you.

A lot of good suggestions and I will check into all of them...

Had a dexa scan in January.  All was well.  Not diabetic, thank goodness.  I love bananas and will try adding some more to my diet.  Hopefully my upcoming labs will give some clue.  They never did in the past so not so sure there.

I think I will increase my magnesium citrate and potassium.  Can't hurt!  I could ALWAYS use more exercise!  I am not very good in this area.  My hours at work have been so long and hectic but I need to find a way to fit it in again.

Thanks for your reply.  Your help is always appreciated.

CharleneP
on 4/7/09 12:31 am - Canada
I also get leg cramps very severely.  The worse ones are the ones on my inner thighs, that go up to the groin.. You can't stand, sit.  You break out into a full sweat, cry, pace sit, vomit.. This goes on for about 45 minutes. After you feel bruised for about a week.. They are horrible.. I don't even
dare straighten my legs in bed at night.

If I feel that I might end up with leg cramps, because I've done something during the day that might trigger it.  I take a quinine pill at bed.
If I do get a cramp during the day.. I take a pill immediately.. Everyone in my family knows exactly where to find them. and believe me these are miracle pills.. usually with 10-15 minutes there is relief.

The cramp in my feet or calfs, I just walk out or stand on a cold floor.

Definitely get the quinine pills!!!!

Take care
Charlene
Most Active