Lap Band in 05---Looking at revision to RNY

Jennifer L.
on 4/1/09 12:37 pm - Denver, NC
I was banded in June 2005 but don't have a happy story to tell, which is why I never post. I believe that either my band was placed too high or my body is just not meant to be banded. On a positive note, my acid reflux actually stopped after being banded. But I had an endoscopy 2 years later and the gastrointerologist could not tell I had a band. He also said that I have a hiatal hernia which I did not have when the band was placed. Everything I eat either goes straight through or comes back up. I have not lost any weight since the first few months and have continued to fluxuate up and down by 30 pounds. I only had one fill because I'm sure that my band is not in the right spot. I went to Mexico to have my band put in but now I'm taking steps to have it removed and get gastric bypass here in my local area. I have not had a great experience with the band as many others have. But maybe it's just not for everyone.???
brandyII
on 4/1/09 12:49 pm, edited 4/1/09 12:49 pm
Wow I got my lapband in 2007 and after 14 months had it removed because it wasn't working and the acid reflux etc...I'm trying to revise now to RNY and hopefully will have that surgery this June.  I admit it did take me a while to come to the realization I should have had the RNY in the first place and that was part of my problem.  I don't know why it seems to work well for others and not me but it's a bit of a crap shoot and now I'm off to get something that really works for me, good luck to you too!
      Revised from Lap band 8/22/07 to RNY 6/11/09   Starting weight 259lbs

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/09 3:07 am - AZ
On April 1, 2009 at 7:37 PM Pacific Time, Jennifer L. wrote:
I was banded in June 2005 but don't have a happy story to tell, which is why I never post. I believe that either my band was placed too high or my body is just not meant to be banded. On a positive note, my acid reflux actually stopped after being banded. But I had an endoscopy 2 years later and the gastrointerologist could not tell I had a band. He also said that I have a hiatal hernia which I did not have when the band was placed. Everything I eat either goes straight through or comes back up. I have not lost any weight since the first few months and have continued to fluxuate up and down by 30 pounds. I only had one fill because I'm sure that my band is not in the right spot. I went to Mexico to have my band put in but now I'm taking steps to have it removed and get gastric bypass here in my local area. I have not had a great experience with the band as many others have. But maybe it's just not for everyone.???

It's not you, it's the band.  The band has some pretty poor stats with it.  I had mine removed 10 months ago and had a sleeve done.

Check out the sleeve boards... not for the surgery type but for the band to sleeve people.  There are a ton of us.

In 2.5 years of posting on message boards I have yet to actually see any person post that has been banded for 10 years or longer.  One person is at 7 years and she loves her band, the other contacted me explaining she's had hers for 9 years.  However, she was contacting me to see if I like the sleeve because she's trying to decide what to revise to.  She won't even make it 10 years.

If Inamed was sellling their bands in 1991, where are all those people?  I've yet to meet one.  They have their bands removed. :o(

DrHusted
on 4/2/09 6:31 am - Phoenix, AZ
The "hiatal hernia" your GI doc saw may be, in fact, your banded pouch.

The band is certainly not for everyone. If you are not doing well with a band, you may not fare that much better long-term with a bypass, as they are both restrictive in action long-term and use the same small-pouch principle.

John D Husted, MD
Dr. John Husted

DISCLAIMER:  I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines.  Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!
jenniferhlee
on 4/3/09 3:06 pm, edited 4/3/09 3:13 pm - Denver, NC
In this case, what would you suggest that I look into? My issue with the band has been food either going straight through or getting stuck. I have never experienced the feeling of food sitting in the top portion and slowly making its way down through the narrow opening. That is what I expected when I chose the band but has never been my experience. This journey has been frustrating but I am committed to finding the right "fit" for me. I am expecting that my insurance will pay for a revision to RNY but nothing else. However, I have the financial means to explore other options if that would yield better success. I appreciate your thoughts and input! :)
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/4/09 11:08 am
I'm gonna jump in, since I'm not sure how often Dr Husted gets through here, and you need to have a good direction to look if your doing some research. If you haven't looked at the Sleeve or DS, you should.
If you feel you would do well with restriction only (like the band) then the sleeve may be a good fit for you. If you might do better with restriction plus some malabsorption (sort of like RNY) then the DS may be a good fit. The DS has the best stats of and WLS on weight loss, and maintenance of that loss.
Go to all the boards and do some research to see what surgery would be good, and then select a surgeon. Do not go to a surgeon and expect them to make an unbiased, good choice for you. Most surgeons don't do all surgeries, and won't recommend what they can't perform.
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/09 11:49 pm - AZ
On April 3, 2009 at 10:06 PM Pacific Time, jenniferhlee wrote:
In this case, what would you suggest that I look into? My issue with the band has been food either going straight through or getting stuck. I have never experienced the feeling of food sitting in the top portion and slowly making its way down through the narrow opening. That is what I expected when I chose the band but has never been my experience. This journey has been frustrating but I am committed to finding the right "fit" for me. I am expecting that my insurance will pay for a revision to RNY but nothing else. However, I have the financial means to explore other options if that would yield better success. I appreciate your thoughts and input! :)

You sound like a lot of banded people, no sweet spot.  For some people it just plain does not exist.

I revised to a sleeve.  A sleeve is like a band that actually works.  I'll never forget the first day of solids with sleeve, I was floored.  I remember sitting there thinking, "DAMN!  So *this* is what restriction feels like!"  I never experienced it before.

It took about 6 months to get rid of the "deer in the headlights" look if I swallowed something that wasn't a liquid.  You know when you swallow something and it's too late and you know it's coming back up?  It takes awhile to get rid of that fear each time you swallow something.

If you are sure you can do it with restriction alone then a sleeve is great.  If you feel you need malabsorption as well, DS.  Both get rid of Ghrelin, the hunger causing hormone.

I really wouldn't get RNY, there is a huge failure rate.  I believe Dr. Husted wrote elsewhere there is about a 20% failure rate.

With the sleeve you do have to change your eating habits to maintain weight loss.  It's been great for me so far.

PekinSal
on 4/3/09 7:28 am - UK
We must be related - I got my band in June 05 as well! Mine didn't ever really work much either...

I had it taken out and had DS last year. DS is another thing to look into, because you'd get the malabsorbtion as well as a smaller capacity stomach. I don't regret it - life has been much easier since I got rid of the band.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

lisamcmullen
on 4/8/09 12:44 pm - Jacksonville, NC

I also had the band in mexico in feb 05.  i initially lost 40 but have gained it all back plus 30-40 more.  things that we are supposed to eat--don't work.  ialways end up having to throw them up.  chicken and fresh veggies are the worst.  so i eat what works because it's easier...well that has gotten me no where but bigger.  i am now in the process of getting a revision.  i will definately look into the DS.  I am very disappointed in myself for even getting the band but one thing is that there were no surgeons in NC that would touch me.  So i gave up.  I couldn't afford to fly to mexico every time i needed a fill.  It's nice to know i am not alone. 

Most Active