I had an endoscopy yesterday, and sclerotherapy was recommended for my...

Fatfreedom
on 3/31/09 2:16 am - NH

I am so thrilled that this would be a 20 minute procedure, and I will not need to stay in the hospital.

Has anyone had this done?  Can you share your story?

Is it covered by insurance?

TIA!

Erica

In the process of seeking a revision to RNY(12/03).  Sclerotherapy has been recommended after exploratory endoscopy last week.  I am meeting with my surgeon 4/9 to discuss what I am going to do.
Zee Starrlite
on 3/31/09 2:24 am
20 mins BUT still a waste of time I've been told many times - look at this forum, go back about 1 year.  Most people seem to pay out-of-pocket.  Sclerotherapy, eRose, stompymax(spel) fails, it fails, it fails!!! Don't waste your time or you money.  These surgeons should stop experimenting with what seemed like a fantastic idea that has now failed so many.

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

RNY2002
on 4/1/09 5:34 am - MA
YOU'VE BEEN MISLED.  Please read my post below.
RNY2002
on 4/1/09 5:33 am - MA
The fact that these procedures are all failures IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had my endo consult back in late November, my first sclero procedure on Jan. 13, my second one on Feb. 25 and going in for a endoscopy (potentially a 3rd treatment) on April 15.  I am doing soooo good!!!  I weigh in weekly and tomorrow is the day.  So far I have lost 34 1/2 pounds!  Woo hoo!!!  Aside from the weight loss though, I am no longer hungry all the time.  Actually, I am no longer hungry at all until it's really time to eat.  I've been eating about 1200 cals. a day; breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and maybe a low cal snack if I get "head hungry".  The procedure really does work.  You will get your satiety back!  

It has worked really well for me this far.  When I first read about it on these boards I was really discouraged.  People made comments about how it worked for a few weeks and then "that was it".  It's not true.  It does work.  Understand that after a few weeks out of your procedure, your food intake will increase.  This is normal.  The Dr. doesn't shrink your pouch.  He injects your stoma with a chemical that closes up the "drain" at the bottom of your pouch.  This is what keeps you fuller longer.  You still have to make good food choices and stick to a plan. 

Hope this info. helps.  I sure could have used this positive feedback when I was looking for it!
jeanyjane
on 4/2/09 11:00 pm - Germany
Well, if I read your post right, you`re not even 3 months out from your first procedure, so you have no idea if it will work for you in long-term. And that`s what matters. So far, I have not seen a single member reporting here that sclerotherapy, stomaphyx or ROSE worked for longer then a few months. Instead, all report that it did not help at all, or that the effect was lost after 3-4 months. Maybe you`re the first for whom it will work. Good luck - you need it.
Fatfreedom
on 4/6/09 12:01 pm - NH
On April 3, 2009 at 6:00 AM Pacific Time, jeanyjane wrote:
Well, if I read your post right, you`re not even 3 months out from your first procedure, so you have no idea if it will work for you in long-term. And that`s what matters. So far, I have not seen a single member reporting here that sclerotherapy, stomaphyx or ROSE worked for longer then a few months. Instead, all report that it did not help at all, or that the effect was lost after 3-4 months. Maybe you`re the first for whom it will work. Good luck - you need it.
Thank you for your oh so positive and upbeat reply...........(insert sarcasm here)

I had my RNY in 2003.  I had no procedure since then except an endoscopy to check the status of my anatomy since then.  So no, you did not read right ;-).
RNY2002
on 4/22/09 1:49 am - MA
Jeany,

Thanks for your kind words.  Sclerotherapy is a new procedure that has just finished clinical trials.  You're right in that I hope it does last long term.  There is really no reason why it shouldn't if you understand how it works.  The drug they inject causes scar tissue.  Scar tissue doesn't go away.  If ppl. are overeating and not using the tool correctly, IT WILL NOT WORK. DUH.  I can still eat the same amount as before I started the therapy.  It's not meant to "make your pouch smaller".  It's meant to close up the drain at the bottom of your pouch so you're not constantly hungry. 

Personally, I don't think ppl. realize how this is intended to work and this is why they consider it a "waste of time, money, etc."

My two cents worth. 
Most Active