Stapled 31 years ago,ready for a change

TommyT
on 4/1/09 2:38 am
I posted this on the ds board and thought i would post here also

My name is Tommy I live in Conway Arkansas. New to this forum but not new to wls. In 1978 I had what my Dr."Kerry Ozment "called a gastric staple,more referred to as a stomach staple at that time it was very new.I was 24yrs old and 252 lbs. the surgery went great I lost down to 160lbs and maintained that weight until I was 34 years old.At that time in my life I decided to stop drinking alcohol and I have been sober ever since.When my body started craving the sugar it was not getting from the alcohol I started eating LOTS and LOTS of chocolate, honey buns,little debbies and anything else that was sweet. Well you know what happen i started to gain weight,I really wasn't to worried about it at the time it came on slowly at first and I was just happy to be sober! By the time I was 50 I was up to about 240 and I decided it was time to quit smoking AND NOW 4years later I am at 281lbs.I am considering The DS surgery as my tool, but would like to Know more about it.My wife had  RNY 2 years ago and is doing great,but I have read a lot about regain with rny, an that's my main reason for asking for some of your knowledge.This is NOT about mine is better than yours thing,my wife is very supportive of whats best for me.Some thing keeps drawing me is this direction so I would appreciate any light anyone could shed on the subject and would consider any and all Dr.recommendations in or around Arkansas.
Thank You
TommyT
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/1/09 7:46 am
I had the DS as well, but mine was a virgin surgery, not a revision. Revision surgeries are riskier than virgin surgeries, regardless of type, so you want to make sure you get a skilled revision surgeon, as not all WLS surgeons do revisions. Asking on the DS board too was a good move, since they are a very well informed group. There are good revision surgeons who will revise to DS (and other surgery types) listed at DSfacts.com, and duodenalswitch.com.
luvinleah5960
on 4/2/09 9:54 pm
Hi Tommy, I live in Morrilton, Ar. right next to you and your family. I didn't have the DS but I did have gastric bypass in 2005 by Dr. Clay Wellborne. He is a great surgeron. Just wanted to wish you luck and if I can help let me know. Malinda from Morrilton.
Most Active