Band to Bypass- What to expect?

Kristin19855
on 4/3/09 12:29 pm
Thank you for also reiterating that it is MY choice. I think i've made good decisions for myself and i am certainly well researched. I originally decided to go to Mexico and i certainly do not regret that choice one bit. I don't regret getting the band at all and i don't think i made a stupid decision in originally going with the band. I see you also chose the same surgeon. After a ton of research, i think Dr. A is certainly one of the best.

I didn't mean to start any kind of drama by asking the question that i did. I think i was rubbed the wrong way when the DS girl jumped in because of all the drama on the band board. I was around for all of that. That's why the band grads board is so great.

My question had NOTHING to do with DS and i did state over and over again i'm not interested in the DS. It's not for lack of research. I just hate being treated like i'm a moron and that all my research is bad research because it didn't lead me to the DS.

It's my body, my choice.

Thank you.
(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 1:07 pm - AZ
On April 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM Pacific Time, Kristin19855 wrote:
Thank you for also reiterating that it is MY choice. I think i've made good decisions for myself and i am certainly well researched. I originally decided to go to Mexico and i certainly do not regret that choice one bit. I don't regret getting the band at all and i don't think i made a stupid decision in originally going with the band. I see you also chose the same surgeon. After a ton of research, i think Dr. A is certainly one of the best.

I didn't mean to start any kind of drama by asking the question that i did. I think i was rubbed the wrong way when the DS girl jumped in because of all the drama on the band board. I was around for all of that. That's why the band grads board is so great.

My question had NOTHING to do with DS and i did state over and over again i'm not interested in the DS. It's not for lack of research. I just hate being treated like i'm a moron and that all my research is bad research because it didn't lead me to the DS.

It's my body, my choice.

Thank you.

I hate it when the DSers start foaming at the mouth and showing their teeth.  It gets old after time.  When that fails they stomp their feeties and stick their tongue out at anyone that does not agree with them.  GAWD!  And they wonder why they have the rep they do.

It's your body, you do what you feel is right.  Not every RNY fails and not ever DS succeeds.

Good luck to you!

MARCIAM
on 4/1/09 8:03 am - Sayville, NY
I had my band out in emergency surgery in August and then a revision to RNY in September.  My loss is slower than people who get RNY from the start, but I feel good and I am losing both weight and inches.  I had the most pain from the spot where the port was but it was nothing compaired to all of the reflux I suffered with the band.  I am retired now but I could have gone back to work about 10 days after the surgery.  I am very, very happy with my revision and I am just sorry that I didn't get the RNY from the beginning.  Good luck to you!  
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Kristin19855
on 4/1/09 9:45 pm
Thanks Marciam! I've seen you alot on the band boards and you look like you're doing great with the RNY. You said exactly what i was hoping to hear. Thanks for the info. You look fantastic!
nicole K.
on 4/1/09 11:37 pm - brick, NJ
hey me 2! lol.  i got my band in November of 05 and had a revision from a slip in Oct 07 and its never been right since.  i am scheduled for surgery next week to have the band removed and RYN.  i will be happy to be your test subject and give u all the details as it happens.  my email is [email protected].
Kristin19855
on 4/2/09 4:25 am
Thanks! I'm deffinitely going to keep your email and check in with you. Good luck!
brandyII
on 4/2/09 6:28 am
I got my band in 2007 and it removed in 2008 and now I'm waiting on approval for the RNY and I looked into my other options but my daughter had the RNY and is doing well and I feel like I will too,  It's not that I didn't look into DS but I prefer to use the same surgeon I had before just change to a better procedure.  Good luck to you I'm hoping to get mine in the beginning of June this year!  brandyII.
StacysMom
on 4/2/09 6:59 pm
 I'm just wondering, why you chose the RNY over the gastric sleeve?   Especially since they have the same 5 year success rate and the sleeve leaves your stomach anatomy intact  and is less invasive.   Plus, you have the extra added benefit of major reduction in Grehlin (hunger hormone) production when the greater curvature of the stomach is removed to construct the sleeve.  

The RNY surgery is a much bigger deal, in that your stomach is placed out of commission (but still stays inside you yet can't be scoped, hence the "blind" stomach) and your intestines are disconnected and then rerouted so that your digestive juices and actual food are put together a little later in their journey (malabsorption).   The amount bypassed is what determines whether it is a proximal, medial or distal RNY, with the distal being the most malabsorptive.  

The RNY pouch stretches out over the years and the intestines make up for the small amount of malabsorption they are given.   Additionally, the people who don't  adhere to the RNY eating plan and lifestyle change frequently end up needing a revision.   Especially those with a 50+ BMI.  I don't know if you fall into this category - from your picture it looks like you are skinny!     

Since you have done extensive research    , I am curious to understand why you have chosen the RNY, while so many others appear to be revising from band to sleeve (in the practices where this is offered) and I believe your lapband doctor even does this specific revision.  And, which RNY are you going after?  Proximal, Medial or Distal?

In answer to your questions, regarding recovery, some are out 6 weeks and some are ready to go back to work in 2-3.  That is for open procedures with no complications or infections.   It also depends on if it is going to be done lap or open, with open requiring the longest recovery time because you will have a large incision down your entire abdomen which needs to heal.   Open procedures sometimes have incision issues.   Then there's risk of infection which can happen with a lap or an open procedure.  All of these impact your recovery time.  

How "hard" is RNY surgery?   I don't know what you mean by "hard", but think of this - you are disconnecting and rerouting your intestinal tract with either stitches or staples.   This is the tract where your body absorbs nutrients and ends in elimination.   There may be some bowel issues because this area has been disturbed and cut up.   And, you are completely disconnecting your stomach, as food will no longer go through it.  Everyone experiences pain differently and heals differently.   Only you can judge how quickly you usually heal, based on other surgeries you may have had.  Some will develop adhesions, fissures, strictures, ulcers  and other RNY issues, and some will fly through with no problems whatsoever. 

The pouch is easier to live with than the band, but it works on the same basic principle - restriction.   Only it's not adjustable.   If you allow it to stretch out too much, you lose restriction and the only way to tighten it effectively is through more surgery and even then it will stretch out again.    
Some have tried Stomaphyx (using plastic clips) and/or Sclerotherapy (making the stoma smaller through scarring), but most have posted that they were unsuccessful with it.   I think one person is 3 months out and still losing, but let's see what happens at one year out.   Most  doctors deal with a stretched out stoma by placing a lapband over RNY.  

The intestines also become more proficient at absorbing calories and nutrients over time, so some opt for the ERNY (Extended RNY - cutting and rerouting the intestines AGAIN to make them absorb even less food), which involves (in most cases) even more malabsorption than the DS surgery and the resulting vitamin, protein and mineral deficiencies.  This surgery leaves the pouch alone, depending solely on malabsorption for weigh loss.    

And, some opt for complete conversion to the DS, which many have already discussed on here.  

I hope this answers some of your questions.    
Kristin19855
on 4/2/09 9:48 pm
Thank you for the lengthy response, i really appreciate your input. I'm hoping to have a laproscopic surgery (which should be the case) so that my recovery time is shorter and there is less of a chance of infections.

I never meant to say that my research turned up RNY as being the best possible option. I just think there are different options for different people. After many long conversations and meetings with my doctor (not the one that did my lapband) we decided that the RNY would be the best route for me. I was initially successful with my lapband but i've had many complications and odd issues that makes it impossible to continue to live with.

As far as proximal and distal, the AMA has cut out those guidelines and opted for a more standard number. The proximal was shown to be too short and people regained. The distal was too much and the mass malabsorption left people with too many issues.

I think i really just asked my original question to find out where i would be in the weeks after surgery. Physically and mentally. I don't want to be in so much pain that i can't function at the most basic levels. I also need my head to be in the game. Mentally i need to be 100% "there" 3 weeks after surgery. I was after my lapband. I'm just hoping it's the same with a revision.
KRWaters
on 4/9/09 2:16 am - Manteca, CA
I am not trying to burst your bubble, BUT, (a big BUT), I did have Rny in April '05. I did super the first 8 months, looking real good. Then I started a stall for almost a year. I never lost any more, but had another 40 to go to get to doctor's goal. Instead of losing, I started gaining and have gained over 50 pounds. After considering briefly a lapband over the RnY, I found the DS board. I am not saying it is the best, but after RnY, where does one go? I wish I knew about the DS fist thing before RnY. My friend in town had the RnY and since that is the one advertised so much, I went with that. I was so wrong. A couple of facts, there is a 50-55% regain with the RnY and then one cannot lose. With the DS, you have a better chance to lose and keep it off. I was just told the other day that the RnY is only supposed to work for 2 years, and then after your stoma is stretched and pouch too, you are on your own. Most RnY surgeons will not admit that there are problems with the RnY.

On the other hand, I do know several people who have done great with the RnY, and I really hope you are one of them. Go girl!

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active