Band to Bypass- What to expect?

Katrina B.
on 4/4/09 6:21 am - Prestonsburg, KY
I don't get why everyone is so damn sensitive about this topic. It's slowly becoming fact that DS is the better surgery. It tops all of them in weight loss and keeping it off long term.
I am an RNY patient and wish I could do some time travel to the past and have a DS instead.
Bearmom- I personally appreciate the info. you're putting out there. That is coming from an RNY patient.

Katrina
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/4/09 6:55 am
Thank you Katrina, I appreciate hearing that.
I often talk to people who say that they may have chosen differently if they had known, and I myself was scheduled to get a RNY when I even heard about the DS, and Sleeve, but find too often that people have been steered toward a specific surgery that is all a surgeon is trained in, or by insurance, so I figure it's worth sticking my neck out to make sure others are at least aware before they are cut. I'm happy about people choosing whatever surgery they are comfortable with regardless of type, but revisions are risky, and I wanted to avoid one at all costs, and wish others could avoid them too.

I am a bit amazed that there is so much sensitivity about only the DS (as I think I mentioned Sleeve as well, but they didn't have a problem with that) but I know that these dust ups are how many hear of the DS, like myself, and they may avoid picking a surgery that won't work for them. I'm even more dismayed when two people who chose surgery that failed at least once, put no effort into saving others from the same mistake.

I'm sorry you think you may have selected something else if you could go back. I know there are many who do well with RNY and hope you are one.
(deactivated member)
on 4/2/09 9:50 am - AZ
On April 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM Pacific Time, Bearmom wrote:
Again, don't care if you get a DS, as you are already getting a second surgery.

My first post said to research all the surgeries, not just DS, and I named both which weren't mentioned in the OP.

I also don't have much faith in your research, since you already chose a surgery with a huge failure rate, and you think that you are going to have less issues with an RNY than a DS. You WILL take supplements (just slightly different ones) and have blood work, and the bathroom habits are statistically the same. If you think you are going to be avoiding some of these with RNY, read more.

Hey... hold on here.  It doesn't matter if YOU have faith in her research or not, it's not you getting the surgery.  It's her surgery, her body, leave her alone.

This is why people quickly stop reading posts written by DSers.  People don't want to be degraded and insulted because they don't want your surgery type.  How much education are you doing if people click on by your posts unread?

Tell her once, if she isn't interested then insulting her and arguing whether or not YOU have faith in HER research for HER surgery doesn't give you any credibility.

Kristin19855
on 4/2/09 9:51 pm, edited 4/2/09 9:53 pm
Then you may want to reread what you type before you send it as you said "YOU'RE the type of person i'm targeting here." That didn't make much sense with what you continued to say. And i don't appreciate being called *****y or an ass. You jumped in and caused drama where it was completely unnecessary. I dont know how old you are, but i think it's obvious that some people just never grow up.

AND i was NEVER anti-DS. I am open to ALL surgeries and i completely UNDERSTAND that they all have pros and cons. I think i've been quite clear that there are different surgeries for different people. I think you're the one that has been anti-"everything but DS"
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/3/09 1:27 am
YES - you are exactly the type of person I am targeting - someone who picks the wrong surgery and will end up with a revision!!!!!
And you, now being in that position, should actually give a rip about helping others avoid that!!

My initial reply to you was polite, and you acted LIKE A ***** If you are going to throw that back at me simply because you are over sensitive to the word "DS", you deserve what ever you get back.

Anti everything but the DS?? Yah, you didn't even read the initial reply.

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 4:44 am - AZ
On April 3, 2009 at 8:27 AM Pacific Time, Bearmom wrote:
YES - you are exactly the type of person I am targeting - someone who picks the wrong surgery and will end up with a revision!!!!!
And you, now being in that position, should actually give a rip about helping others avoid that!!

My initial reply to you was polite, and you acted LIKE A ***** If you are going to throw that back at me simply because you are over sensitive to the word "DS", you deserve what ever you get back.

Anti everything but the DS?? Yah, you didn't even read the initial reply.

Would you agree that it is her body and her choice?

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/3/09 6:16 am
My concerns are for others who are researching.

My only familiarity of you, is from when I was a newbie, and saw you jump into every surgery war and rabidly advocate the band. Looks like that didn't work out for you, and I hope you didn't persuade many.
(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 8:07 am - AZ
On April 3, 2009 at 1:16 PM Pacific Time, Bearmom wrote:
My concerns are for others who are researching.

My only familiarity of you, is from when I was a newbie, and saw you jump into every surgery war and rabidly advocate the band. Looks like that didn't work out for you, and I hope you didn't persuade many.

Nawww... that's not true.  What you saw was the DSers invading the band board insulting and degrading every person that opted for a band.  They actually tried to take over the BAND board.  They were telling people that just had surgery that they had a choke chain, a laff-band.  You just don't treat newbies that way, they have already had surgery.  Leave them alone.

You saw the DSers getting banned and moderated for their horrific behaviors, not the banded folks... DSers.  You saw banded people telling the DSers to shut the heck up once and for all.  I most certainly did not advocate for the band, I advocated for those that made their choice and were happy with it.  BTW, THAT is why DSers have such a horrible rep around the boards.

Your concern is of little value when people don't want to be preached to and insulted because you don't like their research for their own surgery.  Don't you think that's a little weird?  You guys complain that you are so abused but the reality is that you push your surgery type on everyone and no matter if they tell you in a nice manner or a snitty manner, you are rabid in insisting that you are right and everyone else is wrong.  People have a right to make their own choices without being slam dunked for a decision.  It is one thing to provide facts, it is quite another to insult them because they still don't want your surgery type.

The OP has told you repeatedly that sh'es not interested in DS.  Guess what?  She doesn't have to have DS.  She can have any damn procedure she wants.  That's how it is, deal with it or don't.

You know, on one level I actually do understand how you feel about this.  I do.  The way you feel about DS is how I feel about people researching their surgeons.  I see people every single day going to butchers in MX or the US because they are cheap.  They ask on the boards if a surgeon is any good (think Huacuz) and everyone jumps in with example after example of the horrors of a handful of surgeon in either country, yet they go there because it's cheap, or they go there because the "doctor was sooo nice to me on the phone!".  I used to sincerely feel bad for these people because I knew there was a pretty good chance they would come home with a serious problem.

You have to get over it.  People have the right to make good decisions or bad, it isn't any of your business and it isn't any of mine.  You provide the information and leave them alone.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/3/09 8:19 am
BWAHAAHAA! not bothering w/ a monologue, and definitely not from the rabid lapband cheerleader.
(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 8:25 am - AZ
On April 3, 2009 at 3:19 PM Pacific Time, Bearmom wrote:
BWAHAAHAA! not bothering w/ a monologue, and definitely not from the rabid lapband cheerleader.

Riiiiiiight.  Of all people, I am the lap band cheer leader.

It does appear you have run out of material.

Cheers.

Most Active