Band to Bypass- What to expect?

Kristin19855
on 4/1/09 6:54 am
I'm considering a revision. I'm actually waiting to see if my insurance approves or denies me. I just want to know what to expect in terms of how hard the actually surgery is and how much recovery time was necessary. I know it differs from person to person
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/1/09 7:38 am
You owe it to yourself to know there are other options. In addition to the gastric bypass (RNY) there is the DS and the sleeve. You should familiarize yourself with the  main surgeries before making a such a huge decision. Good luck.
Kristin19855
on 4/1/09 9:43 pm, edited 4/1/09 9:45 pm
Thank you for assuming that i haven't already done so. I'm quite familiar with both the DS and the sleeve. I don't think either of those choices are best for me. I'm well informed and well researched. I've made my choice and was inquiring about something that you know nothing about.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/2/09 3:41 am
We see many, many people on the DS board who want to revise from the band or RNY, who are unhappy that they were unaware of the other surgery choices before they went under the knife, so we do try to help people be aware.
You would do well to lose the attitude, since I am only trying to inform people who may not be, and also considering you put a band (with a ridiculous failure rate) into your body, I'd have never guessed you had done any research or read even one medical study on WLS.
Kristin19855
on 4/2/09 4:29 am
I think your problem is that you live in DS-land and no one and nothing else matters. The DS is not the only type of surgery out there. There are different surgeries for different people. Some of the ridiculous DS side effects aren't for everyone. Also, many surgeons do not even do the DS. I started a thread asking about people's experiences when they went from band to bypass. You had had neither one of those. I really don't need to be preached to about some surgery i should consider. I am not a moron, i know how to research. I apologize for originally coming off as if i had an attitude. That was not my original intention. I just really hate constantly seeing DS people preaching the DS all over the place and knocking every other surgery. They all have their pro's and their con's.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/2/09 7:15 am
Yes, my first reply to you was to make yourself familiar with ALL the main surgeries. Think twice, cut once. If you talked to as many people as I have who want a revision to DS from a band or RNY, you'd understand. If even one person is saved from a failed surgery and having to have a revision, it's worth putting up with this.

And I'm sure your vast research on the DS side effects are going to be a bunch of repeated myths or exaggerations, so again, please familiarize yourself with some actual medical studies. Please state them, I'd like an opportunity to post some actual peer reviewed medical data.

Also, many surgeons don't do the DS because they CAN'T,  as it takes months of training, instead of a weekend class as it does for RNY or the band.

Ironically, YOU'RE the type of person I'm targeting here, as many newbies look at this board to see what kind of surgeries are failing people, and learn they have options to investigate. Too late for you, as you now need a revision, but others read here. As long as the revision people flood to the DS board, I'll be preaching.
Kristin19855
on 4/2/09 7:33 am
I'm not getting into a debate with you. I have better things to do. If you really want to help people you will explain and educate on the other options people have. Not just be such a pusher of one type and rag on other types. You also need to be realist in what you tell people. There are cons to the DS, as there is in any surgery, and they are not all "myths." And again, you assume that i'm a moron. You want me to post medical studies so that you can post some "actual peer reviewed medical data" because of course whatever i'm looking at is not correct. I'm done respond to these posts. You are not worth my time. I'm not getting a DS, i'm not considering a DS, i don't want a DS, and i came here looking for advice on BANDING to RNY. Thanks so much
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/2/09 7:47 am
Again, don't care if you get a DS, as you are already getting a second surgery.

My first post said to research all the surgeries, not just DS, and I named both which weren't mentioned in the OP.

I also don't have much faith in your research, since you already chose a surgery with a huge failure rate, and you think that you are going to have less issues with an RNY than a DS. You WILL take supplements (just slightly different ones) and have blood work, and the bathroom habits are statistically the same. If you think you are going to be avoiding some of these with RNY, read more.
pepsi98
on 4/2/09 9:36 am - Norwich, CT
On April 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM Pacific Time, Bearmom wrote:
Again, don't care if you get a DS, as you are already getting a second surgery.

My first post said to research all the surgeries, not just DS, and I named both which weren't mentioned in the OP.

I also don't have much faith in your research, since you already chose a surgery with a huge failure rate, and you think that you are going to have less issues with an RNY than a DS. You WILL take supplements (just slightly different ones) and have blood work, and the bathroom habits are statistically the same. If you think you are going to be avoiding some of these with RNY, read more.
Just a little jump in here...Bearmom, I believe you meant well in telling her about ALL options, but I think it's the way it came out.  I am a band over bypass and don't really care what all everyone's opinions are about MY choice for surgery.  I think that instead of trying to shove their "pet" surgeries down people's throats, we should all be glad that there are so many options for ALL of us.

This "my surgery is better than your surgery" is getting older each time it becomes an issue.  Can't we all just relax and let people choose they're own surgery.  We can certainly educate someone, IF they ask,  but it isn't our place to use their questions or need for information to sway their surgical choice.  We all make the best choice we can for what fits into our lives...and no one surgery fits all.

"The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/2/09 10:06 am
To be honest, I couldn't tell if she was actually asking about RNY by her first post, and have seen many lump RNY and DS together as "gastric bypass" since they both have a bypass component.
There was no pet surgery pushed, as I said to research all of them. I was actually nice and polite until she replied ****tily.

I DO get sick of people being so anti-DS, and acting like an ass, when someone is initially polite, and genuinely trying to make sure that people know the options, simply because "DS" is said, and I'm learning why the veteran DSer's get short fuses.

Again, if the OP was actually specific about RNY that's fine, but she wasn't, and it looked like one of the many many many that actually don't know there's a difference.

Most Active