Vertical sleeve revision tomorrow

Princess Kath
on 4/1/09 7:28 pm - camden Sydney (Australia), Australia
After 3 years of success with sleeve, have gained weight.  Went to surgeon who did barium swallow......stomach quite large, will revise tomorrow.  I feel like a failure, how can I stay on track this time.

Princess Kath from down under Australia
Lori G.
on 4/2/09 12:42 am - CA
Not a failure, Kath, your story is what we all fear with the sleeve and were warned about. (especially scary since you were initially successful). I have a favor to ask- Could you possibly find out what size bougie your surgeon used with your original sleeve and post it for us? And to which procedure are you revising- DS? RNY? Tighter sleeve?
Thank you for posting, again you are not a failure- best of luck with your surgery- XoLori

Princess Kath
on 4/2/09 6:11 am - camden Sydney (Australia), Australia
I will find out what size bougie the surgeon will use.   I am revising to a tighter sleeve. He told me that when he did my original sleeve he was very conservative and these days he makes them much smaller.  So heres hoping that this time it will be OK.  Thanks for your best wishes.  Will post soon.

kath from down under
~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/2/09 12:40 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Kath:

Good luck :)  Did you talk about revising to a DS or RNY, or are you determined to stick with revision only?  I was revised from a Band to Sleeve last July... 34 F bougie... lost weight for only 4 months... and nothing in the past 5 months.  Very frustrating.  I'm sure a resleeve is an option... so I'll definitely be following your progress! :)

Good luck tomorrow :) 

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

PekinSal
on 4/3/09 7:22 am - UK
I don't think you should call yourself a failure. Your stomach stretched. Its like blaming yourself for having big lungs.

Hope your revision goes well.

DS revision from failed lapband

susang
on 4/4/09 10:41 pm - CA
Hi Kathy,
I havent been on this forum in a while and remeber you from the VSG forum...I too have an enlarged top half of the sleeve. Interesting because it was supposed to be vertical my endocopy showed a figure 8 look. Anyway i wanted to wish you the best and please let us know how everything turns out. I am also interested in your bogie size from the first vsg to this one.
Please dont feel like a failure. we all got the surgery because we have eating issues and that my friend does not really truly go away but we can just keep trying. I am sure you will have success.. Sue
Princess Kath
on 4/4/09 10:46 pm - camden Sydney (Australia), Australia

thanks guys, I am now home from hospital and feel a little sore but glad I did it.  I will not see my surgeon for 2 weeks and I will ask about bougie size.  When his assistant saw me in hospital I was still a little out of it and did not ask.  It certainly feels much tighter than the first time around.  I can't swallow tablets unless they are broken up (the first time I had no trouble whatsoever) I also get pain if I drink a little faster (last time no probs).  So here's hoping.

Kathleen from down under

susang
on 4/4/09 10:57 pm - CA
So glad to hear you are home and doing good!!!! Rest and remeber to keep up the protein and fluids......Sue
Most Active