Sclerotherapy SUCCESS!!! 3 months post - op

RNY2002
on 4/1/09 5:42 am - MA
I had my endo consult back in late November, my first sclero procedure on Jan. 13, my second one on Feb. 25 and going in for a endoscopy (potentially a 3rd treatment) on April 15.  I am doing soooo good!!!  I weigh in weekly and tomorrow is the day.  So far I have lost 34 1/2 pounds!  Woo hoo!!!  Aside from the weight loss though, I am no longer hungry all the time.  Actually, I am no longer hungry at all until it's really time to eat.  I've been eating about 1200 cals. a day; breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and maybe a low cal snack if I get "head hungry".  The procedure really does work.  You will get your satiety back!  

It has worked really well for me this far.  When I first read about it on these boards I was really discouraged.  People made comments about how it worked for a few weeks and then "that was it".  It's not true.  It does work.  Understand that after a few weeks out of your procedure, your intake will increase.  This is normal.  The Dr. doesn't shrink your pouch.  He injects your stoma with a chemical that closes up the "drain" at the bottom of your pouch.  This is what keeps you fuller longer.  You still have to make good food choices and stick to a plan. 

Hope this info. helps.  I sure could have used this positive feedback when I was looking for it!
Fatfreedom
on 4/1/09 11:49 am - NH
Great to hear!  I am schediuled for my first procedure 5/27.  Did you have it done by Dr.  Christopher Thompson?  Can you tell me how you felt after the first procedure?  What are the immediate changes!  Thanks!  Congrats on your success!
RNY2002
on 4/1/09 11:33 pm - MA
I replied to your message yesterday.  Check your Obesity Help "inbox". 

I did have Christopher Thompson.
(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 2:39 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
How big was your stoma?  What is it now?  Daisy
PekinSal
on 4/3/09 7:30 am - UK
I'm really pleased your revision is working - I've read a lot of negative reports too, and its nice to hear something else for a change!

Would you come back now and then and report for us?

DS revision from failed lapband

RNY2002
on 4/22/09 1:43 am - MA
All is well.  I had my 3rd sclero therapy treatment on April 9.  I'm down 45 pounds.  I just started exercising religiously so the weight should come off even faster!  I'll keep posting.

Freedom from constant hunger is a BEAUTIFUL thing!!!!!!!!!! 

Love it!
PekinSal
on 4/22/09 5:55 am - UK
That's great to hear and I'm sure a lot of RNYers will be more interested in this now.

Was that your last treatment on the 9th? Are they able to tell after that how big your stoma is and whether it is still the same in six months? Presumably they could give you another treatment if you needed it? Sorry for being nosey...

DS revision from failed lapband

ckreh
on 6/24/15 7:10 am - Harrison Twp, MI

Congratulations on your success. I hope it has been lasting. I am scheduled for my 1st treatment with this procedure August 7th and was worried when I could not find any success info out there. My surgeon thought this procedure would be best as the first step for a revision to a failed RNY 12-years ago since it gives us room to do more and is not as invasive since I have 7-year old twins.

I hope you are still on this website and can give me some insight as to longer term success. I plan to be vigilant with this second chance, so I can be healthy for my kids.

RNY2002
on 4/22/09 6:16 am - MA
My last treatment was on April 9th.  Here's how it went for me...

1st endoscopy - stoma was 20mm

1st sclerotherapy procedure - stoma went from 20mm to 14mm

2nd sclerotherapy prcedure - stoma went from 12mm to 2mm

3rd sclerotherapy procedure - stoma went from 9mm to 4mm

I go for follow up visit (no endo or sclero) in July.  He's hoping I end up settling around 8mm or so given my history.  We won't know until my next endo (not scheduled). I did ask if I could have more injections if I needed them and he said I could.  So far so good though.  I think I should be all set. I'm "emptying out" normally now.  No more hunger unless it's the right time. 

:)
Most Active