Questions about revision to sleeve from band

rauccibe
on 3/30/09 4:32 am - CT
I have had a band for about 3 years and have lost about 100 lbs. The probl;em being that I have lost nothing in the last two years. I have an appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday and want to ask him about revision. I do not want an RNY but am considering a sleeve. I am not even sure that my doctor will agree to the surgery or insurance will cover it but I am frustrated at this point and need to do something.
I have been following band rules and go to the gym 4 days a week. I eat small portions and protein first and drink plenty of water. I just cannot seem to lose any weight
ANy help or suggestions would be appreciated
Betty
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/09 6:58 am - AZ
On March 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM Pacific Time, rauccibe wrote:
I have had a band for about 3 years and have lost about 100 lbs. The probl;em being that I have lost nothing in the last two years. I have an appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday and want to ask him about revision. I do not want an RNY but am considering a sleeve. I am not even sure that my doctor will agree to the surgery or insurance will cover it but I am frustrated at this point and need to do something.
I have been following band rules and go to the gym 4 days a week. I eat small portions and protein first and drink plenty of water. I just cannot seem to lose any weight
ANy help or suggestions would be appreciated
Betty

Maybe you should reconsider a sleeve.  You are already doing all the right things, if you are eating smaller portions, watching what you are eating, exercising, etc., I'm not sure another merely restrictive procedure is going to help.  Both the band and sleeve are restrictive procedures only.  Maybe you need malabsorption?

How many calories are you eating daily?

How many good carbs vs. bad carbs?

When was your last fill?

What is your current BMI?

How much do you have left to lose?

Zee Starrlite
on 3/31/09 2:27 am
If you are doing everything right with your band,and you have restriction,  another restrictive only procedure will not help you.  Have you thought about revising to a malabsorbtive procedure?

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

PekinSal
on 3/31/09 5:25 am - UK
It might be worth paying to see a surgeon that does all the surgeries and chatting to him/her about your options. Your PCP (if anything like mine) won't know much, and my lap band surgeon only did bands so was no help either!

Your options might be having your band checked out for faults, sleeve, RNY and DS. You are responsible for picking which one suits you best, not your doctors (in the end) so it might be worth lurking on all three of the other surgery boards and getting a feel for what they involve.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active