Considering a Revision

Denise V.
on 3/27/09 5:45 am

Good Afternoon All,

I had RNY in March of 05, got down to 149 and have not seen that number in a LONG time!!!  I got pregnant and delivered my daughter on 9.30.08, during my pregnancy I went up to 190lbs, and am now at  my 'steady' pre-pregnancy weight (174ish).  I am thinking about going in for a revision (if it is even an option for me).  I have seen so many different types from reading through posts (ERNY, ROSE, BOB etc...).  Can you please tell me what you did and how it has worked for you?  Also, if you could send links to any sites that talk about each type I would be extremely grateful....

I am afraid that when I go in to meet the Dr. they will think that I am looking to drop the weight because of the baby, although I have already lost the baby weight....  I can eat like a flippen cow again, and I always seem to be hungry, even if I just ate 10 mins before... I want to nip this in the butt before it gets out of hand and I find myself weighing over 300lbs again...

Thank you for your time and input.  Have a great weekend!

Denise

~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
raven08
on 3/27/09 6:09 am - trenton, NJ
don't feel bad i thinking about having revision surgery i had my surgery mar 26, 2007 i only lost 80lbs and i'm regaining and thats a shame i don't know wat to do?

tasha
Monique H.
on 3/27/09 4:22 pm
I just wanted to say to you don't feel bad. I had my surgery 4/2/07 and lost a little over 90 lbs and stopped losing after 6 months. I just had a revision making me a distal rny. The weight is coming off slow, but it is coming off. I've lost almost 35 pounds since 1/13/09 when I had surgery. If you both have a lot to lose I do recommend checking on the ds or extended rny which will give you a shorter common channel than what I have. Good luck to both of you.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
StacysMom
on 3/27/09 4:17 pm
 Sounds like the both of you could use a stronger tool.   Check out the DS forum.   It is the weight loss surgery which has the highest long term success rate.   Not many doctors perform it, however.   It is time-consuming in the OR and requires special training.   Also check out these two research papers for the stats regarding RNY revisions.   The articles go into the different types of revisions available and the successes and failures of each type:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3886215/Everyone-should-read-this-Revision-Procedures-for-Failed/

and

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3886208/Great-article-on -RNY-revisions-from-Bariatric-Journal/

BTW, quite a few members on here had the Stomaphyx and ROSE procedures last year.   No one wrote of any success with it; just that at they lost weight initially due to the pre-op and post-op diets, but then gained it all back plus more.    

Kathy H.
on 3/29/09 1:04 pm - Kent, WA
Please be sure to research ALL your revision options, including the DS, which has the best stats with regard to long-term excess weight loss, co-morbidity resolution and post-op quality of life (as defined by me - having lived with an RNY-type pouch for the last 22+ years).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Denise V.
on 3/30/09 3:32 am
Thank you everyone for your input.... I defiantly will be doing ALL my research, to be honest I was leaning towards the ROSE but after a long weekend of reading have officially crossed that one off my list...
~*~Denise~*~
Strawberryga
on 3/31/09 4:00 am - OH
Your story is very close to mine. I had an RNY in May 1995 - I never got very LOW in weight I started at 300lbs and teetered at 175-180 until after my divorce in 2000 and working 2 jobs I got down to 160 (I was 5'9 so it was a good weight for me)
 I stayed at 165ish until my pregnancy in 2003- I gained from the get-go and ended up 240 lbs at delivery. I did get down to 210 after going back to work part-time but problems from vitamin deficiencies causing nerve damage I was unable to work anymore.
 I am at 238ish now and have tons of problems with 'dumping'= heck I am sick all of the time.
My Dr is giving me a gastric sleeve with a DS... I am sooo excited about this surgery. I have heard many good stories about it. And being laproscopicI am even happier!
Definitely go see a bariatric surgeon in your area and share your story.
When I went to Family dr's and spoke to them about my surgery or weight gain they treated me like I was a failure because I was over eating. It wasn't until i saw a bariatric Dr that understands the complexity of the surgery and obesity that I got REAL answers.
Unfortunately too many GP's think they know it all :)

I was wondering if you have any trouble with pain, energy since your pregnancy?

Strawberry Says, "Take your vitamins Today and be Thankfull Tomorrow!"  
Denise V.
on 4/1/09 11:20 pm

Hi there!

Thank you for the reply!  I am happy to hear that you have found a Dr to do a revision for you!  I am meeting with a surgeon tomorrow, so I am keeping my fingers crossed....  We shall see...

As for pain, what kind are you talking about?  I do not have any real pain other then my back from time to time, and that has been since giving birth...  but I do not think it is from the RNY....

Take care,

Denise

~*~Denise~*~
wilivcooke
on 4/8/09 10:28 am

Dear Denise,

Welcome to what I am finding to be a LARGE Club. I had the RNY in June '03. I got under my goal weight and was very happy. In '07 I started to put the weight back on. I can almost eat like I did before the RNY. Once I had regained 65 pounds I did some research and found that weight regain is a very common problem with RNY patients. My research showed that the DS has the best results as a weight loss surgery(sustaining weight loss) and as a revision option as well. I will be having the revision done this may and am very excited!! I would definately look into the DS revision to see if it is an option for you.

Good Luck

Mina
Most Active