Lap Band Hell - Frustrated and Hopeless

gottaluvave
on 3/26/09 9:09 am - Dallas, TX
Post Date: 3/26/09 3:01 pm

I have been unfilled since January 20, 2009 - over two months now.

I have gained 13 pounds since then and I am still unfilled.

I went in today, thinking everything would be okay for a fill and my picture on the x-ray still shows my pouch being a bulging "circle" rather than the NORM, which resembles a banana.

This issue has been on and off for almost a year.  I am so frustrated.  My surgeon is saying that I need to have revision surgery (without even seeing me, I might add), but that doesn't diagnose the underlying problem and about what is going on.

My EGD after a year, showed that I had esophogeal (sp?) ulcers and it seemed like for onty a fleeting moment that I had found the "sweet spot", losing the bulk of my weigh the first 6 months after surgery.

I am so frustrated by this that I just want to give up.   I am thinking that I should go to another surgeon to get a 2nd opinion.  Any thoughts?   Does any of this sound normal or at least something that you have heard before?

I would love to do the RNY, but will a doc even touch me if I am under 200?

Start Weight:   256
Surgery Weight: 248
Lowest Weight: 176
Revision Weight: 201
Current Weight:  196
Goal:  165

Never turning back!!!!!!!!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/26/09 9:58 am
I'm sorry your having problems with your band. Both the DS and RNY have malabsorbtion to help you maintain loss (DS has the best statistics of any WLS surgery), but you are a "lightweight" by WLS standards, and may not need such big guns.

Have you looked at the sleeve? It is restriction only, can't slip, permanent (the band only has a life span of 5-10 years, depending on manufacturer), and doesn't require fill or unfills. It does not have the things associated with a pouch, such as remnant stomach, a stoma, or dumping.

I'd look at the options, then select a surgeon for a second opinion that performs ALL of the surgeries you may want. If you go to a Ford dealer, they won't tell you to go buy a Toyota. You need a surgeon that is as objective as possible.
DrHusted
on 3/26/09 11:14 am - Phoenix, AZ
I agree with Bearmom: if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem ends up looking like a nail. How especially true with weight-loss surgery.

From your post, it sounds like you may have some dilatation of your pouch, or perhaps some slippage. A quick look at your x-rays would tell the difference. If your band is at the point where it is no longer doing any good, it might as well be removed or revised. If you are at a good weight right now - and do not desire o have a malabsorptive procedure - a Vetical/Sleeve Gastrectomy would be your best option. This can be done laparoscopically. If your band is doing at least some good, the band can be left in at the time of Vertical/Sleeve Gastrectomy. This is an especially good option for patients who are at - or close to - ideal weight.

John D Husted, MD

p.s. Hey Bearmom, my mother hails from Port Angeles.
Dr. John Husted

DISCLAIMER:  I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines.  Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/28/09 7:08 am
We're fond of that area, and just spent the week in Port Townsend. It snowed!!
I am so sorry!  However, I can say been there, done that.  I am having the revision now.  For the same reasons you spoke of.  I even went as far as to get a replacement band to solve the problem.  However, I should have just done the RNY then. 

Some people, the band is just not good for and you may be one of them like I am.  You should seek a second opinion if that what's makes you feel better.  I went through the unfill for nearly a year before deciding to have the replacement from my original ban in 11/04.  I replaced in 4/06.  Now here I am in 3/09 and guess what I need a revision.  I know it stinks, but at least we have an alternative.

Secondly, the DS may be to drastic for you.  I considered it and still like the information I am seeing, but again, very drastic for me.

Do some research and get another opinion.  You must feel comfortable in your decision.

Terri D.
Certified Life Coach with Specialization in Weightloss and Bariatrics
Working towards Bachelors in Exercise Science with specialation in Bariatrics
Revision to Gastric 4/9/2009 from Lapband

At goal at 7 months.... thanks to lifestyle change, exercise, & an acai berry drink.  Inflamation in body-Gone, Headaches- Gone

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9LYB37/">
 _fcksavedurl=http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w9LYB37/weight.png">>

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/09 12:48 am - AZ
On March 26, 2009 at 4:09 PM Pacific Time, gottaluvave wrote:
Post Date: 3/26/09 3:01 pm

I have been unfilled since January 20, 2009 - over two months now.

I have gained 13 pounds since then and I am still unfilled.

I went in today, thinking everything would be okay for a fill and my picture on the x-ray still shows my pouch being a bulging "circle" rather than the NORM, which resembles a banana.

This issue has been on and off for almost a year.  I am so frustrated.  My surgeon is saying that I need to have revision surgery (without even seeing me, I might add), but that doesn't diagnose the underlying problem and about what is going on.

My EGD after a year, showed that I had esophogeal (sp?) ulcers and it seemed like for onty a fleeting moment that I had found the "sweet spot", losing the bulk of my weigh the first 6 months after surgery.

I am so frustrated by this that I just want to give up.   I am thinking that I should go to another surgeon to get a 2nd opinion.  Any thoughts?   Does any of this sound normal or at least something that you have heard before?

I would love to do the RNY, but will a doc even touch me if I am under 200?

Your surgeon doesn't need to see you, he needs the results of the fluoro.  He apparently has that.  If you have been unfilled for two months and you are still slipped/dilated, sounds like he's right on the money.

Bands have a VERY high failure rate, more than bypass.  It's the procedure that has the lowest weight loss, slowest weight loss, the complications that can happen are many and it sounds like you already have a couple of big ones... get a revision.

If you are good to go with restriction only then revise to a sleeve.  It's like having a band that actually works and without all the horrible complications.

Only problem is talking your insurance co into a revision when you have 30# or so to go.

Anneff36
on 4/3/09 5:13 pm - cedar park, TX
 Like you, my band slipped also. My insurance paid even though my weight was not enough for a RNY because my old band needed to come out because it was causing me problems/ pain. As long as your doctor says that your band needs to come out medically, it should not matter what your weight is. 

Most Active