2 wk Pre Op Liquid Diet

nicole K.
on 3/25/09 4:04 am - brick, NJ

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the 2 week Pre Op liquid diet.  My surgeon suggests Medifast but he said I could use what I wanted.  I should have asked what else I could use.  I went to Vitamin Shoppe today and was introduced to a whole host of different protein shakes and the like.  I just was wondering what it is that I am looking for, low sugar? low carb?  high protein?  Any one have a favorite? 

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/09 4:20 am

I strongly suggest going to a support meeting preop. There a tons of proteins drinks out there.  I think you better talk to your surgeon or his nutritionist before you have any surgery. I don't want to sound negative in any way but you have work to do. I also think there is a nutrition forum on this site. Good luck with your WLS.

nicole K.
on 3/25/09 4:30 am - brick, NJ
lol i think ur a bit off base but thanks for the reply.  i am scheduled for surgery and am doing my 2 week pre op liquid diet in which my doctor was not specific as far as what i should use.  i was looking for people who have done it and had a favorite or any suggestion.  as long as i do a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery my doc is not concerned.
Monique H.
on 3/25/09 4:57 am
low sugar, low car, high protein, and not too many calories as well. I get Isopure powder from GNC. That way if I don't like the flavor of the protein I can exchange it. Isopure powder had about 50 grams of protein (I split my serving) 0-2 carbs, 200-220 cal. The ones I like best are pineapple orange banana, and dutch chocolate.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
JRinAZ
on 3/25/09 5:15 am - Layton, UT
On March 25, 2009 at 11:04 AM Pacific Time, nicole K. wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the 2 week Pre Op liquid diet.  My surgeon suggests Medifast but he said I could use what I wanted.  I should have asked what else I could use.  I went to Vitamin Shoppe today and was introduced to a whole host of different protein shakes and the like.  I just was wondering what it is that I am looking for, low sugar? low carb?  high protein?  Any one have a favorite? 

Hi there Nicole!
I've been doing protein drinks for around 7 years and have weeded out some nasties!  LOL!  My favorite milkshake type protein is the Banana Scream by Champion Pure Whey Stack.  I use a scoop and a half in about 3 ounces of water then whirl in my Magic Bullet (necessary little power blender) with some ice and some Torani sugar free strawberry or peach or watermelon.....OR some frozen berries.  It spoons like a smoothie.  Yumeeee!  ......  I like the Chocolate Matrix by Syntrax for a "hot" chocolate protein.  I temper a scoop and a half int warm tap water and whisk to smooth then I add hot ho****er (I microwave a bit in a glass measuring cup).  I mix mine in about a 20 oz mug and then add a shot of s/f Torani or Davincci syrup:  either peppermint, caramel or coconut!  Very soothing on a chilly morining!

If you like something that tastes like an orange juice then try the Nectar's Fuzzy Navel.

If you are a tea drinker then the Nectar products have some yummy choices.

A basic ratio to look for when selecting proteins to try:
approx 23 grams of protein per scoop
No more than 140 calories per scoop (don't want to drink unnecessary calories)
pre digested whey is the best choice.....soy is a healthy choice but is not a complete protein...collagen proteins are even further down the list  and not the best choice.

No worries really about the carbs and sugar grams.  If you keep with the above protein and calorie ration then the rest falls into place.

A couple of notes regardiing protein intake...

The normal body can only absorb  around 30 grams of protein at one nutritional intake so anything over that is just expensive urine!
Nectar proteins have the lowest calories per protein gram and are 0 carbs.

Vitalady.com sells samples of almost everything that is tried and tested for WLS folks so we can see which things are pallatable for us.
Check out the Recipe Forum on O.H.  They have oodles of creative recipes for doctoring up protein drinks.  If done right, then your protein drink can be something you actually look forward to.

And....don't invest too much into it now....many folks go through a little change of tastebuds following their WLS.

There's also a formula to use "no sugar added" Carnation Instant pkgs with fortified milk that makes a pretty high punch protein drink.  Does anyone know the recipe?

Congrats!  Keep us posted!

Joyce in AZ
Revision to Erny 12/26/07
At Goal
pepsi98
on 3/25/09 8:01 am, edited 3/25/09 8:02 am - Norwich, CT
I really like the VPX Muscle Power...has 40 grams of protein.  Since I'm post op I have it or maybe 1/2 of it for breakfast since I'm at work, but it tastes great!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

KissTheSky
on 3/25/09 1:51 pm - Narara, Australia
VSG on 04/15/09 with
oh wow..this is amazing...thank you.

I'm day 7 and thinking...i gotta find a way to make this work for me....

You appear to be a huge 'way'.

thank you

see...it pays to pray
Debba
on 4/7/09 6:13 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
Hi!

Our surgeons have us use Ultramet by Champion Nutrition.  It's actually a meal replacement drink as opposed to just a protein shake.  Each package contains all the vitamins and nutrients you would get if actually eating a meal -  not just a supplement - so be sure whatever you get states that it's a meal replacement drink.  We don't want you keelin' over before your surgery!!

Good Luck,
Debbie

Most Active